The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Having fun with the E-P1

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks, Mike. That was a big help. I don't think the EP1 is a worthy substitute for the M8 quite yet. I do think they'll get there some day. Watch out, Leica.

One more point - if your vision isn't 20/20 there's another issue. If you're farsighted (you need reading glasses) then focusing through an M8 viewfinder is a piece of cake since your focus is distant. If you're using an LCD up close (arm's length or less) then you probably need your reading glasses to focus the camera. Switch this if you're nearsighted (need glasses for driving). I used to be nearsighted but got LASIK eye surgery a few years ago and love the fact that I don't have to wear glasses when using cameras with viewfinders (M8 and SLRs). When I use point-and-shoot cameras I rely on autofocus since I typically don't carry my reading glasses.
Good point. However, using the LCD is very nice for those who wear glasses.

Diane B

Hey folks just got this from B&H for you to look at . Although most of this info maybe right here on GetDPI as it should . LOL

Check it out though , maybe some tidbit you folks missed, although I seriously doubt it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/find/newsLetter/Olympus-E-P1-Digital-Pen.jsp
Thought I would add this to Guy's link. More m4/3rds info
http://view.bhphotovideo.com/v/IB2NIX/6A1QR/RN0E88Y/S3XNBN/MAILACTION=1

Interestingly enough, the bit about adaptors leads one to think that NOvoflex is going to have an EOS to 4/3rds adaptor which means one could use the 4/3rds to m4/3rds adaptor to use them--and one would assume if they go to that bother to make one that it would have electrical contacts. That might interest me--for my TS. B & H also says they will have a number of adaptors by August--for all lens systems they say.

Also--I read this and am not sure I understand what it means. Can anyone with an EP-1 clarify if this is true?
"You can even manually enter the focal length of the lens you're shooting with for additional stability, which becomes increasingly important with longer focal length lenses. (This function is performed automatically with Micro 4/3 and standard 4/3 lenses)"

Diane

Last edited:

Terry

Diane,
You go into the IS function on the main control panel and then hit the +/- EV button and are given a scrolling list of focal lengths. Put in the focal length of the lens you are shooting and the camera will then adjust the IS to match the focal length. For the 4/3 and m4/3 the camera gets that from the lens contacts.

Diane B

Diane,
You go into the IS function on the main control panel and then hit the +/- EV button and are given a scrolling list of focal lengths. Put in the focal length of the lens you are shooting and the camera will then adjust the IS to match the focal length. For the 4/3 and m4/3 the camera gets that from the lens contacts.
Ah--very cool. I have read that the EP-1 is very customizable--much more so than the G1. Interesting.
Thanks Terry.

Diane

Robert Campbell

Diane,
This is the same as for the Oly 4/3 system cameras with IS -- manual inputting of focal length.

Terry

OK here goes with the CV 12 vs the Panny 7-14 @ 12mm.
Jpegs straight from the camera imported to Lightroom no adjustments. Cropped, standard Lightroom export sharpening for screen output.

E-P1 on solid tripod completely level. Aperture priority (you can yell at me for that but it shouldn't matter here), manually focused on far edge of white building (closest to the bridge). Image stabilization turned off.

First up the scene ( user error at getting the wall on bottom left but I don't think it will make too much of a difference) Panny 7-14 @ f5.6

Panny @ f4

Panny @ f5.6

CV @ f5.6

Panny @ f8

CV @ f8

Panny @ f11

CV @ f11

CV looks sharp out at f11 and has less CA through the range. Feels like Panny shows more CA on the E-P1 than on the G1 where Panasonic may have better optimized the CA removal in their processing. Once I have a real processing RAW processing I will work on these. This was pretty much a torture test. If anyone wants the RAW files, I have them all available.

Last edited:

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Well, I'll be darned - the Panny kicks butt. Thanks very much Terry - you saved me the hassle of buying a CV 12 for the E-P1.

The Panny 7-14 is quite impressive.

Mike

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I had the CV 12 on my M8 and used it for a while on the G1. I thought it was less than impressive on the G1 and sold it. I would go for the Panny 7-14.

Terry

Well, I'll be darned - the Panny kicks butt. Thanks very much Terry - you saved me the hassle of buying a CV 12 for the E-P1.

The Panny 7-14 is quite impressive.

Mike
Even if you got similar results you get an extra stop, and you go all the way down to 14mm and here is a size comparison that might be easier for you to relate to

There is a CV35 f2.5, CV75, 21 elmarit, 75 cron and the 7-14. 7-14 and 75 cron are the same height!!! Trust me when you first hold the 7-14 it is shocking.

Terry

Panny also has purple fringing along the white lines. Easy fix but there
I know, I did mention it at the bottom of the post that I think that the same lens on the Panny has it better corrected in their processing. Also, it will be interesting to see what happens when I have Raw support and can easily make corrections.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yea need raw support here since you are using a Panny lens on the Oly and it may not be in the jpeg engine to fix it. I have a action that took it right out.

May want to see if the same shot with your Oly zoom is showing the effect but not sure you can actually turn everything off in the EP-1 to see if it is

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Terry - how does the CV 75 (f2.5) perform on the mft bodies (G1 and/or E-P1)? That's another one I'm considering for use on my E-P1.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
The 50 lux has been glued to my E-P1 for the past few days. Here are some casual walk-around shots from the combo.

I really like this combo. I'm going to try the CV 40/1.4 to see if it renders a similarly pleasing image on the E-P1.

Terry

Mike that will be the lens test for tomorrow. I took some shots at the ballpark that I wasn't very happy with but wasn't really sure what the issue was the other night. It was exacerbated by the fact that I shot RAW only by mistake and I don't don't know RAW developer all that well.

I just took these two in my apartment but they are high ISO samples in yuck light.

These were both close focus and the ball park was more infinity focus so that's what I need to deal with. Sorry about the WB on my wilting basil (harder to get good WB in post with jpegs). Both at ISO 1600. lens wide open.

K

Kevin_b1

Panasonic Lens

Maybe a silly question:D

Do the Panasonic micro 4/3 lenses such as the 7-14 fit on the E-P1 without any adaptors, in other words can all micro 4/3 lenses fit either the Panasonic G1 or the Olympus E-P1 without adaptors

Thanks for your help

Regards

Kevin

mod2001

Re: Panasonic Lens

Maybe a silly question:D

Do the Panasonic micro 4/3 lenses such as the 7-14 fit on the E-P1 without any adaptors, in other words can all micro 4/3 lenses fit either the Panasonic G1 or the Olympus E-P1 without adaptors

Thanks for your help

Regards

Kevin
simply yes :)

Yogi