The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Having fun with the E-P1

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
A few quick shots from the weekend.

The shots at the lake are with the 7-14. The others are with the 50 lux.

Diane B

You folks are just lucky you can even go outside. Hit 115 degrees in Phoenix today, even too hot to go outside and take a swim in my pool. I need out of here. Hope it's nice in NY leaving in 3 days. Might have to go to my favorite shopping store B&H, now that is one dangerous place for a gear slut like me.
Wow. I remember on a road trip to New Mexico going through TX on a 115 deg. day--the asphalt on I40 was melting--we eventually stopped and decided to drive at night. Just awful--at least you don't have much humidity with it--though I have heard, due to "Eastern immigrants" that the use of grass, etc. has raised the humidity in your area. Humidity is a killer for me in the Southeast LOL.

I hope you will keep us posted about your B & H trip. I've never been, though one of these days just for fun---but its always fun to hear about others' trips and what they find new. Stay inside until you leave!!!!!

Diane

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks Diane but I actually have to go out on a runway and shoot a corporate jet with the wheels down for landing. Yes on asphalt in this heat today which supposed to hit 113. I just hate summer here. I'm a native Jersey boy and been living here 31 years and i am still trying to figure out how stupid I really am. I hate heat.

Have to admit I really like these images coming off the EP-1 and that is something I usually don't say but this thing has it going on.

dmpbyrdwatcher

highlight spot meter

This shot was done with the "highlight" spot meter. For this setting the camera is assuming what you are metering on is a hightlight that you want to protect. Instead of bringing it back to neutral, it is just making sure it doesn't blow.
Hi Terry,

are you sure that is what the highlight spot meter is doing? I don't have E-P1 (though I wish I did), but with other Oly cameras the highlight metering purposely overexposes, while the shadow metering purposely underexposes. It isn't designed to 'protect' the highlights or shadows, but to prevent the camera from metering these things to gray.

Both highlight and spot metering functions are still useful - but not really any different than purposefully adding or subtracting exposure compensation. I only mention this because it is a frequent assumption about highlight spot metering in the Oly dpreview forums - and people get really upset when their highlights aren't 'protected' after all.

Terry

Re: highlight spot meter

I think we are getting at the same thing. If I spot meter on the highligt in a normal spot meter mode the camera will try and neutralize it back to grey. My understanding and the way it has been working for me is as you say it over exposes but not by enough to let the highlights blow or the shadows to go to black clipping (depending which spot setting you use). So as an experiment, if I were to matrix meter a scene where the sky would blow, and then switched to spot highlight and metered on the part the was blowing in the first meter reading, the camera would adjust exposure treat the part I'm spot metering on as a highlight but not a blown one and adjusts the scene from there. So, when I say it protects the highlights all I'm saying is that meter with that option on the highlight the camera doesn't let it blow. If I have this wrong let me know as it seems to be working the way I'm describing it.

Hi Terry,

are you sure that is what the highlight spot meter is doing? I don't have E-P1 (though I wish I did), but with other Oly cameras the highlight metering purposely overexposes, while the shadow metering purposely underexposes. It isn't designed to 'protect' the highlights or shadows, but to prevent the camera from metering these things to gray.

Both highlight and spot metering functions are still useful - but not really any different than purposefully adding or subtracting exposure compensation. I only mention this because it is a frequent assumption about highlight spot metering in the Oly dpreview forums - and people get really upset when their highlights aren't 'protected' after all.

durrIII

Looks like I am keeping the E-P1 after all. Does anybody know who is selling a leather case for the Pen? I like how the Olympus looks with the leather strap, but who know when we will get it over here. Any new news? Thanks, -Durr

Godfrey

Looks like I am keeping the E-P1 after all. Does anybody know who is selling a leather case for the Pen? I like how the Olympus looks with the leather strap, but who know when we will get it over here. Any new news? Thanks, -Durr
I hope Luigi makes a leather half-case and strap for it, like he does for many other cameras of this sort. They're expensive, but hand made and beautifully finished, very rugged.

http://www.leicatime.com/

Send him an email ... ;-)

Terry

I already contacted Luigi. I wanted a strap for mine. He is going to do a case for it. It will take some time.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I already contacted Luigi. I wanted a strap for mine. He is going to do a case for it. It will take some time.
Terry, Please keep us informed about Luigi's progress on the case.
I have a Luigi strap on every one of my cameras. They just become better with age.

Terry

A couple from yesterday working with Monochrome red filter and highlight spot metering. All with the 17mm pancake.

The conservatory in Golden Gate Park. The colors were so lush it felt criminal to make the pictures in B&W but this is going to be one of my first outings with a converted IR camera

I think the metering worked well. I love delicate flower petals.

Fort Point - one of my regular bridge spots tall black building is my office.

I know it's that damn bridge again

hehehe I cheated I just had to turn it to color eventually

Last edited:

dmpbyrdwatcher

Re: highlight spot meter

My understanding and the way it has been working for me is as you say it over exposes but not by enough to let the highlights blow or the shadows to go to black clipping
Hi Terry,

Maybe it just works better now that there is more room to overexpose without clipping with the newer sensors. With the prior generation cameras, it would just add a stop of exposure compensation seemingly without regard to whether that would induce clipping.

In any case, your pics look great so far, so maybe E-P1 has 'intelligent' highlight metering. Or maybe you are just a better picture taker

monza

I got it to work using HexEdit on Mac OS, replacing all the E-30 strings with E-P1 in the ImageCore.dylib file in the Capture One v4.8.1 trial version. There may be a better way, but this one worked for me. No guarantees/warranties, you are on your own, proceed at your own risk. :)

durrIII

Can someone help me out? Does your kit 14-42 lens lock closed? Mine locks when it is
open, but does not lock when closed. You can turn the zoom and ring and open it with out unlocking. Is this normal? Thanks