The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which C-mount adapter to buy?

wiregen

Hey all, I'm waiting patiently for my E-P1 but I want to start getting into the C-mount craze.

I looked on eBay and I just saw one type of C-mount adapter
This one http://cgi.ebay.com/16mm-C-Mount-lens-to-Panasonic-G1-GH1-micro-4-3-adapter_W0QQitemZ280362651059QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLens_Accessories?hash=item4146ea8db3&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Is this the right one? I bought a Senko 25mm f/0.95 and a Canon-TV 25mm f/1.4 C-mount lens.

Any help or links to C-mount adapters would be great! Thanks!!!

V

Vivek

Don't know that adapter and I do not know about compatibilities with the E-P1.
Look for jinfinance on eBay ("RJ adapter" is painted on the rim). Fabulous and works well with the Senko 25/0.95 on G1.

I will be most interested to hear how you mange to use this lens on the E-P1.

V

valtof

Hi wiregen,
The really c-mount adapter to get is the one from Japan Exposures because once the lens fully screwed on it, its position can be adjusted to get the infinite and aperture marks right on top, see detail here (they are fast to ship it...) :

http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=262

By the way, could you be kind enough to post one or several picture of this Senko 25mm f/0.95 to see what it looks like ? Ideally just beside the little Canon TV16, since I also have it (you won't be disappointed by this one)...
Cheers

Y.B.Hudson III

I had frustrating experiences with the Japan Exposures c-mount adapter. It is a good idea, but the adjustment screws are very small and vibrate lose. I finally glued the rotating mount in place. The cine Lenses focus on infinity, but the machine vision video lens do not reach infinity.

Last edited:

wiregen

Don't know that adapter and I do not know about compatibilities with the E-P1.
Look for jinfinance on eBay ("RJ adapter" is painted on the rim). Fabulous and works well with the Senko 25/0.95 on G1.

I will be most interested to hear how you mange to use this lens on the E-P1.
if im not mistaken the G1 and the E-P1 share the same mount and sensor distance correct? Theoretically it should work with no problem?

V

Vivek

if im not mistaken the G1 and the E-P1 share the same mount and sensor distance correct? Theoretically it should work with no problem?
Two issues:

1. Robert (screen name here "monza") reported that some c-mount adapter may not mount on the E-P1.

2. How would you focus with the E-P1 at f/0.95? Think about it.

valtof:

There is a pic here: http://shoprmaelectronics.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=613

It has no name engraved or painted. Filter thread is 40.5mm. That should give you an idea.

wiregen

Two issues:

1. Robert (screen name here "monza") reported that some c-mount adapter may not mount on the E-P1.

valtof:

There is a pic here: http://shoprmaelectronics.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=613

It has no name engraved or painted. Filter thread is 40.5mm. That should give you an idea.
you got me thinking now. Should I wait until the rumored panasonic m4/3 body comes out or wait for olympus to release a EVF pen?

I guess the best thing to do wait for the early adopters use these lenses and test the results I suppose

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
you got me thinking now. Should I wait until the rumored panasonic m4/3 body comes out or wait for olympus to release a EVF pen?

I guess the best thing to do wait for the early adopters use these lenses and test the results I suppose
Wait until an EVF is available for these small m4/3 cameras - both Panny and Oly will introduce it. Practically there's very little size difference between a G1 and a E-P1. As dpreview said, its all about style.

Keith

J

jcross

So, there are many more C-mount to Micro 4/3 adapters now...
Which one to get?
Any suggestions based on the last few months of use?

I am quite interested in the cheap $38 ones on eBay, why not?

Thanks!

L

loa

Two issues:

Hi Vivek-

What am I missing here? Last night I was focussing a Schneider 25/0.95 at 0.95 on my e-p1... and it was WONDERFUL. so bright and easy to focus, far easier than my OM or kinoptik lenses. Sure the DOF is narrow but it's a lot easier than finding the focal plane on my OM 90/2!

I'm confused!?

pellicle

Hi

I use the hawkpeng adaptor, I see he's changed his ebay name. I like it a lot and it works better with some of my c mount than the RJ Camera one ... which I have OM as well as C mount of his.

gad, I sound like some sort of adaptor collector.

some stuff from my blog here and here

PeterB666

I have the Hawks Factory (aka Hawkpeng) W1 style C-Mount adapter which I use with the Robot camera mount flange. The W1 adapter has 3 tiny grub screws that allow for the mounting the flanges but is otherwise a standard C-Mount adapter.

I also have the RJ Camera MFT to FT and FT to OM adapters. The Hawks Factory adapers appear to be made to tighter tollerences than the RJ Camera ones and things like rear the MFT rear lens cap fits much better. RJ Camera's own MFT rear lens cap doesn't even stay in place on their own adapters but they fit OK to Panasonic and Olympus lenses.

V

Vivek

Hi Vivek-

What am I missing here? Last night I was focussing a Schneider 25/0.95 at 0.95 on my e-p1... and it was WONDERFUL. so bright and easy to focus, far easier than my OM or kinoptik lenses. Sure the DOF is narrow but it's a lot easier than finding the focal plane on my OM 90/2!

I'm confused!?
Why not show some pictures that you find wonderful? I do not think we have seen samples from the Schneider 25/0.95, so far. The 25/0.95 will show quite bit of field curvature while the superlative 90/2 OM macro is a flat field lens. That could be the difference.

So, there are many more C-mount to Micro 4/3 adapters now...
Which one to get?
Any suggestions based on the last few months of use?

I am quite interested in the cheap $38 ones on eBay, why not?

Thanks!

As posted above, the RJ adapter.

L

loa

Why not show some pictures that you find wonderful? I do not think we have seen samples from the Schneider 25/0.95, so far. The 25/0.95 will show quite bit of field curvature while the superlative 90/2 OM macro is a flat field lens. That could be the difference.
It focusses wonderfully, no wonderful pix yet :D Seriously, I have nothing postworthy at the moment.

I only had the lens out for a few minutes, on trial- I think I'm going to return it. It vignettes rather a lot (and i have a tolerance), has strange specular rings as you stop down, and is nearly as heavy as the camera. I'm using a red ground ginger spice bottle cap for a lens cap.

OTOH, the focussing is, as mentioned, dreeeaaammy, and I measured it at 1 full stop brighter than the 20/1.7, so it's a real 0.95(ish). Sharpness seems reasonable altho I havent pixel-peeped. It fits perfectly into the hawkpeng adapter, perhaps 1mm to spare, and it looks good on the camera.

I'm fairly sure I've seen this lens modded to a m4/3 mount, and claimed FF coverage. it certainly looks possible; the rear element is 5mm inset, at least. However I'm not going to try :)

I may re-un-box it just to give y'all a look. I really appreciate all the knowledge I've gained here.

david

L

loa

A few quick shots taken from around work. No PP. Resizing by Flickr. Out of cam jpgs.

Schneider-Kreuznach 25mm/0.95

iphone pix of it, overexposed for more visibility:

the magic number, and the ginger spice cap:

f/5.6:

the rest are f/0.95. the flower one shows some reduced contrast and ghosting in the shadows of a bright sunny day.

12 inches, .16inches DOF

can provide larger versions. interested in your thoughts on the lens quality.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

David, Couple of thoughts:

1. Not sure how good the lens' glass is (cell phone pics). If it is crystal clear without any blemishes, it should be fine. Even any filmy coating (front and rear) will reduce light transmission.

2. The front rim needs to be painted matt black. The shiny rim (even the rim of any metal hoods) will induce flare.

Super fast lenses will flare. I have not come across any that is immune to it.

Looks sharp. While processing (RAW), you could use vignette control (all m4/3rds lenses use it, BTW) to minimize the dark corners.

Contrast can be adjusted in the post as well.

Exposure is tricky with such lenses (especially with such large light fall off). You can get it right only with practice.

Thanks for posting.

PeterB666

Vignetting control may get some brightness back towards the corners but the real problem is that as the lens is designed for 16mm format, the corners are not just dim, there is nothing there to bring back.

If vignetting is really a worry, shooting at 16:9 will help, otherwise, just crop the centre out.

L

loa

Thanks for the comments. 6x6 is the only way you can get around the vignetting; even 16:9 doesn't cut it all out, unfortunately.