The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New E-P1 Coming - Lens Question

JMaher

I'm reasonably new here but really like the interaction I see.

I've ordered an EP-1 with the 17 and I am very impatiently waiting for its arrival after seeing all the great shots here and on DPReview.

I am looking for some thoughts and opinions on additional lens choices. Obviously the 14-42 is an easy choice but is it the best one? For not much more than the price of that lens and eventfully the Panasonic 45-200 I can get both of the Panasonic kits lens with a blue or red G1 thrown in for less than $100 more. ($700 total)

However I could rethink this and go the adapter route. I have some auto Nikon lens with manual aperture controls (180-60-35 and Sigma 30) that I assume will work OK with a m4/3 adapter and a Nikon to M/3 adapter. Does anyone have any experience with doing this with these or similar lens choices?

If I go the adapter route I also have an Olympus 12-60 that i understand will auto focus on the E-P1 but it's probably a little large and maybe a little slow to focus. I do really like this lens on an E3 body.

Another choice or maybe a combo choice would be an adapter and the Nikon and/or 12-60 but treat myself and buy a real manual focus lens like the 40 1.4 Nokton. The question here is will I really see an improvement in both picture quality and ease of use from a lens that is designed to be manually focused?

I know - too many questions. Answer one or all - I am really just trying to talk this through with like minded people and will appreciate any response.

Thanks in advance ( I am really excited about the E-P1 and jealous of all of you who already have one).

Jim

Terry

I was not going to get the kit with the 14-42 lens but didn't want to wait for the 17mm kit. Now I am happy I have the 14-42 lens (much closer focus than the 14-45 panny). The close which is really nice to have as it alsmost is like having a macro lens. Go back and look at the flower pictures that Jono posted. The 17mm lens also focuses closer than you would expect. The Panasonic lenses do focus a bit faster than the Olympus lenses.

The joy of both the G1 and the E-P1 are the size so whatever lenses you adapt, I wouldn't want to mess that up and go too big. Not sure what the Nikons are like size wise.

The 40 Nokton I've heard mixed reviews of. Some people really like it others find the bokeh distracting. I would spend some time on flikr and look at images made with that lens.

If the two Panasonic lenses are of interest, getting the two lens kit and selling the body might really cut your costs.

I'm not sure how much wide angle you like to do but the 7-14 lens is really a lot of fun on the E-P1. That lens is pretty pricey so you might want to wait and see if it falls in price over the upcoming months. Alternately DianeB has the Oly 9-18 on her G1. Not sure how that one fits ergonomically on the E-P1.

The good news about Oly gear in contrast to Panasonic are the number of dealers and the ability to check out the stock and put different lenses on the camera.

Right now I'm testing out my Voigtlander 35mm f2.5 color skopar. This is a gem a of a lens and can be found inexpensively ($200-$300 used to new).

Yes, there is so much to cover.

My ultimate advice is to get the camera and see how you use it and start working from there.

JMaher

Thanks for the follow up. As you say it is probably wise to get the camera and see how it suits me. Adorama has now shipped my flash but the camera has yet to be sent. I am excited about the possibilities with this camera and will be interested when you publish your comments on the 35 f2.5 skopar.
Jim

jonoslack

HI Jim and Welcome
I agree with Terry (as always :p ). The close focusing on the olympus zoom is very attractive, and the results are better than one could honestly expect from such a small lens.

If I were you I'd grab that, but I've found the 12-60 to be good on it, and the 9-18 (I'd love the panasonic 7-14, but can't quite bring myself to buy it!). I even had a lot of fun with the 50-200 on it! So, worth getting hold of the adaptor - especially if you've got the 50 f2 macro- it still focuses like a dog, but it's such a fine lens.

I've got an M adaptor, and several fine leica lenses . . . . but I tend to use them on the leica and use the zuikos on the Olympus.

Hacker

I thought the kit zoom lens was very flimsy, and it was huge. I just got the 17mm instead. Size comparison: