Site Sponsors

Thread: Lenses and adapters for E-P1?

Post Thanks / Like

Please explain lenses and adapters for E-P1

I am soon to be an owner of the E-P1 and am very excited about it's potentials (and reports so far are encouraging!)

However, I am new to Oly and have no background or familiarity with it's lens systems and what other lenses can be adapted. The abbreviations and shorthand used to identify lenses in other posts have left me puzzled. I understand the 2 lenses that are being released with the camera, the 17mm and 14-42mm, but after that I'm mystified.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone would take the time to provide a brief summary. Which autofocus lenses can be used? And are there certain older Olympus lens systems, or other lens brands, that can be adapted with good results? Info on adapters also appreciated.

Thanks!
    Last edited by tom in mpls; 9th July 2009 at 11:29.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lenses and adapters for E-P1?

I with you Tom - I have never used Oly stuff before and I just got the E-P1. I also just ordered a Panasonic 4/3 to micro 4/3 adapter from B&H ($139), and a Nikon F to 4/3 Fotodiox adapter from Amazon ($30). Using these two adapters stacked, I should be able to use my Nikon manual focus and Zeiss ZF Nikon-mount lenses on the E-P1.

Various companies are selling other adapters for other systems like Leica M-mount, etc. There is a chart in the first thread on this forum on these, and Cameraquest sells some, although their Nikon to 4/3 adapter is much more expensive than the Fotodiox one.

This site might also be of some help: http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/lense.html.

Regards,

Peter

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So, the lens range that can be adapted is huge. I will start with the bit that I know and let others fill in.

Micro 4/3 - Both Olympus lenses autofocus. There are 4 Panasonic lenses that also all autofocus and are much quieter if you are shooting video (7-14, 14-45, 45-200, 14-140)

4/3 - need a 4/3 to m4/3 adapter. Oly makes one Panny makes one. Not sure of others. All Oly lenses will AF some faster than others. I think all of the Panny lenses will as well. I am not sure about Sigma lenses

M lenses both M mount and screw mount - all work for manual focus. 28 mm and wider are not great performers with bad corners there are a few exceptions. I don't know the exceptions. There are several sources for adapters.

Leica R lenses - manual focus with an adapter. Don' know how the wides will do.

There are old Hexanon, Nikon, Canon (and the list goes on and on) lenses that can be mounted with an adapter.

Helps to figure out what focal lengths you are going to shoot and then ask forum members as people have experience with a huge number of lenses.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

http://doiop.com/g1adapters

This is a list I've been maintaining for the past few months after adapters started appearing for the Pana G1. It of course applies fully to the E-P1.

Since there are so many adapters available, I'm not updating all the various combinations, it just gets out of hand.

Post Thanks / Like

I can say I tried the Konica Hexanon 40 f/1.8 (converted to 4/3rds) with MA-1 adaptor--and an FD 24 f/2.8 with Cameraquest FD adaptor on the EP-1 today and they did just fine. I negelected to take my own SD card so don't have results, but they looked great zoomed in on the LCD.

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm waiting for the Konica Hexanon lens. It should arrive tomorrow. Diane I bought an adapter for that lens to go straight to m4/3's. Hopefully it will work. The lens was a whopping $49 and the adapter was almost double!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I read that there is a straight adaptor for it now. I think I paid $30 at FM and about the same to Jim Thompson for converting to 4/3rds. Now that there is an adaptor one could easily add others--and there seem to be several other good ones. I like mine quite a lot--seem to shoot with it a lot.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! This is already making much more sense to me. It seems that the m4/3 format offers perhaps the largest range of lenses that could be mounted and used to good purpose.

I expect I will stay with autofocus, but of course I know the wonderful magic that Leica and others can produce.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    M lenses both M mount and screw mount - all work for manual focus. 28 mm and wider are not great performers with bad corners there are a few exceptions. I don't know the exceptions. There are several sources for adapters.
    Can anyone elaborate on this statement about 28mm and wider being not so great? I'm considering a Voigtlander 25mm.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Can anyone elaborate on this statement about 28mm and wider being not so great? I'm considering a Voigtlander 25mm.
    I did a comparison of 25 ish lenses for corner performance on the G1. The M mounts don't fare that well and you are probably better off going with a relatively inexpensive, but high performing, Canon FD 24 f/2.8. See images starting here:
    http://www.pbase.com/scho/image/109397422

Kevin_b1

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    So, the lens range that can be adapted is huge. I will start with the bit that I know and let others fill in.

Micro 4/3 - Both Olympus lenses autofocus. There are 4 Panasonic lenses that also all autofocus and are much quieter if you are shooting video (7-14, 14-45, 45-200, 14-140)

4/3 - need a 4/3 to m4/3 adapter. Oly makes one Panny makes one. Not sure of others. All Oly lenses will AF some faster than others. I think all of the Panny lenses will as well. I am not sure about Sigma lenses

Leica R lenses - manual focus with an adapter. Don' know how the wides will do.

There are old Hexanon, Nikon, Canon (and the list goes on and on) lenses that can be mounted with an adapter.

Helps to figure out what focal lengths you are going to shoot and then ask forum members as people have experience with a huge number of lenses.
    Hi can you please tell me what the quality of the 45-200 is like is it on a par with the 14-42 kit lens (E-P1) which I am pleased with. Also is the 14-45 better (Shaprer, quieter) then the 14-42 or very simular.

Regards

Kevin

Senior Subscriber Member Mike Hatam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I ran into this issue. Neither my ZM 21 nor my 28 cron work well on my E-P1. Both produce soft corners. There is a technical explanation having to do with the angle of incidence produced by M lenses so close to the sensor.

There are certain exceptions, based on lens design. Monza recently posted a list of wide-angles that do OK. Search for posts by Monza over the past 2-3 days, and you'll find it (it's in the "having fun with the E-P1" thread on this forum).

Mike
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Senior Subscriber Member Mike Hatam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_b1 View Post
    Hi can you please tell me what the quality of the 45-200 is like is it on a par with the 14-42 kit lens (E-P1) which I am pleased with. Also is the 14-45 better (Shaprer, quieter) then the 14-42 or very simular.

Regards

Kevin
    Kevin,

The 45-200 is pretty good - on par with something like the Canon 100-400L IS. It's best at the long end, not quite as good at the wide end.

I tested the Oly 14-42 vs the Panny 14-45, and found the Panny to be slightly better, especially when wide open. Both are excellent by f5.6 (wide end) or f8 (long end). Probably too small of a sample set (just one copy of each lens) to draw any conclusions.

From the tests I've seen from Terry, the Panny 7-14 is the real gem within the autofocus mFT lenses. It's expensive, but a very impressive performer.

Mike
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hatam View Post
    the Panny 7-14 is the real gem within the autofocus mFT lenses
    Mike
    I can only confirm that, the 7-14 is certainly the (relatively) best performing of the 3 Panasonic lenses, and maybe one of the best UWA (zooms) that have ever been produced !

Expensive, to a certain level, yes, but at that level of performance, it's money well spent !

C U
    Rafael
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/

Kevin_b1

Thanks Mike

If the 45-200 is on a par with canon 100-400 IS it is a bargain at £280 so that may well appear in my bag shortly.

The 7-14 looks the best by far but will have to save up for that one.

regards

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Last night I briefly tried my Zeiss ZM C Sonnar 50/1.5 and I was pleased that it seems to be doing its thing well on the E-P1. The lens has a certain look to it, or way of drawing the image, and it comes through on the Olympus. The shallow depth of field at 1.5 is also still there. I plan to do more tests this weekend. To me this lens works best in B&W and I need to work through the B&W workflow to see if I can get close to what I was getting with the Zeiss Ikon and Tri X. If I can I'll be very happy.

The Panasonic 7-14mm is apparently available, but I wonder why its distribution is so limited. The m4/3 lens roadmap is still tiny, but I hope the apparent success of the E-P1 kicks it into higher gear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    I can say I tried the Konica Hexanon 40 f/1.8 (converted to 4/3rds) with MA-1 adaptor--
    Diane
    Diane,

I don't know this lens, but a local shop here in Switzerland has one -- I think it's this one -- for Fr 5.- = a cup of coffee. Is it worth getting?
    SlŠinte

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Campbell View Post
    Diane,

I don't know this lens, but a local shop here in Switzerland has one -- I think it's this one -- for Fr 5.- = a cup of coffee. Is it worth getting?
    Robert, I use mine quite a lot. I believe Godfrey, Kernow (Jim Thompson who converted mine to 4/3rds) have it also--and Terry has one on the way. Oh, Carl Schofield, Mingjai also have it--its quite popular. I shoot quite a lot with it--very nice focal range, light and small. I have to use it with the MA-1 because mine is converted to 4/3rds but there is now a direct Hexanon to m4/3rds adaptor I believe. Look at Terry's post--ah, yes, its been added to our adaptor list--Konica AR.

I'd say yes--be sure its AR--for some reason something sticks in my mind about a different version also, but could be just some misinformation creeping in LOL.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    http://doiop.com/g1adapters

This is a list I've been maintaining for the past few months after adapters started appearing for the Pana G1. It of course applies fully to the E-P1.

Since there are so many adapters available, I'm not updating all the various combinations, it just gets out of hand.
    Hi Monza,

i'm not sure about this, i tried the RJ Camera Pen F to m43 adapter for the Pany G1 on my E-P1 today, if i mount the adapter, i only can turn the adapter 2mm to the right (the Oly Lens goes about 20mm vom the red point into the middle). So, i'm a little bitte afraid of loosing the lens.

Yogi

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Robert, I use mine quite a lot. I believe Godfrey, Kernow (Jim Thompson who converted mine to 4/3rds) have it also--and Terry has one on the way. Oh, Carl Schofield, Mingjai also have it--its quite popular. I shoot quite a lot with it--very nice focal range, light and small. I have to use it with the MA-1 because mine is converted to 4/3rds but there is now a direct Hexanon to m4/3rds adaptor I believe. Look at Terry's post--ah, yes, its been added to our adaptor list--Konica AR.

I'd say yes--be sure its AR--for some reason something sticks in my mind about a different version also, but could be just some misinformation creeping in LOL.

Diane
    Thanks, Diane.
    I've also found that my late father-in-law had a Konica Autoreflex T3 which has a Konica Hexagon AR 50 mm f/1.4 and an AR 28mm f/3.5 -- so the direct to m4/3rds would be an idea for them.
    I'll check out this 40mm f/1.8 tomorrow -- Fr 5.0 can't be bad!
    SlŠinte

Robert.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Diane.
    I've also found that my late father-in-law had a Konica Autoreflex T3 which has a Konica Hexagon AR 50 mm f/1.4 and an AR 28mm f/3.5 -- so the direct to m4/3rds would be an idea for them.
    I'll check out this 40mm f/1.8 tomorrow -- Fr 5.0 can't be bad!
    Hello Robert,

Here is a link to a description page of the Hexanon AR lenses;
    http://www.buhla.de/Foto/Konica/eHexanonUebersicht.html

The 50/1.7 is supposed to be the best of the 50mm lenses. The 40mm is great for the price to be paid and it fits so well.
    The 57mm/1.2 is a gem but rather expensive these days.
    The 135/3.2 seems to be the best of the three 135mm lenses also due to it's close focus possibilitys, I believe.

Then there is of course a whole range of M42 lenses.
    Kind regards, Michiel

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Michiel, thanks for the info -- I know next to nothing about Konica.
    SlŠinte

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Robert, I've got a fair range of Konica Hexanon AR lenses - all converted to 4/3rds format... I have a gallery of example images here :

Gallery of example images for Hexanon Lenses

The most important thing, is to make sure you're getting one in excellent condition - these are old lenses, and you don't want to end up with a heavily worn one.

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

monza

nice work mate!

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Saves me putting one togther, so I might link to that one from me blog if you don't mind!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Robert, I've got a fair range of Konica Hexanon AR lenses - all converted to 4/3rds format... I have a gallery of example images here :

Gallery of example images for Hexanon Lenses

The most important thing, is to make sure you're getting one in excellent condition - these are old lenses, and you don't want to end up with a heavily worn one.

Kind Regards

Brian
    Thanks, Brian; interesting.

Had a look today, and picked up the 40mm f/1.8 Hexanon AR.

I'd like to get the mount converted to 4/3rds [I already have the micro 4/3 adaptor]. Where can I get this done in the UK? -- there don't seem to be any Konica AR -> 4/3 adaptors available, only to micro 4/3.
    SlŠinte

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like

This may be a bit off topic but has anyone hooked up a Leica Visioflex ( M mount) to an E-P1?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Brian; interesting.

Had a look today, and picked up the 40mm f/1.8 Hexanon AR.

I'd like to get the mount converted to 4/3rds [I already have the micro 4/3 adaptor]. Where can I get this done in the UK? -- there don't seem to be any Konica AR -> 4/3 adaptors available, only to micro 4/3.
    The Konica AR mount to film plane distance is 40.7mm while Four Thirds is 38.67mm. That only leaves 2.07mm for the adapter which isn't enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I have a 25 f4 Voigtlander that shows smeared corners, must be stopped down to f11 to get even sharpeness corner to corner, depending ob the subject 5.6 and 8 might be usable, but if you want really good results f 11 is a must, also helps to focus not on center, but midway to either side

Best

Jose

Tikkis

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lockrey View Post
    This may be a bit off topic but has anyone hooked up a Leica Visioflex ( M mount) to an E-P1?
    I have no idea of thast, but since I've seen Visoflex mounted on G1, I suppose it's quite doable. But of course you need the necessary adapters. Physically and mechanically it's piece of cake.

Tikkis -- A New member form cold and dark Helsinki

Tikkis

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Luis Gonzalez View Post
    Hi, I have a 25 f4 Voigtlander that shows smeared corners, must be stopped down to f11 to get even sharpeness corner to corner, depending ob the subject 5.6 and 8 might be usable, but if you want really good results f 11 is a must, also helps to focus not on center, but midway to either side

Best

Jose
    I ran into similar predicament when I bought a brand new Leica Elmarit-M 2,8/28 mm Asph. wideangle for my E-P1. The corners of the picture-area are darkish and somehow soggy. There no point of using this type of excellent lens and use f-stop 11. These lenses are designed to produce fine pictures even full open.

Tikkis

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tikkis View Post
    I have no idea of thast, but since I've seen Visoflex mounted on G1, I suppose it's quite doable. But of course you need the necessary adapters. Physically and mechanically it's piece of cake.

Tikkis -- A New member form cold and dark Helsinki
    I ordered the adapters for my M lenses along with the E-P1 and was wondering if the Visioflex viewfinder would clear the top of the camera. This sounds good. Thanks.

Tikkis

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lockrey View Post
    I ordered the adapters for my M lenses along with the E-P1 and was wondering if the Visioflex viewfinder would clear the top of the camera. This sounds good. Thanks.
    Sorry!!! I remembered wrong. The camera body I saw the Visoflex attached to wasn't G1 after all. It was Lumix GF1. But I still think it will fit without any fysical difficulties.

Cheers!

Tikkis

Post Thanks / Like

I knew what you meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikkis View Post
    Sorry!!! I remembered wrong. The camera body I saw the Visoflex attached to wasn't G1 after all. It was Lumix GF1. But I still think it will fit without any fysical difficulties.

Cheers!

Tikkis