The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 with Zuiko 17 f/2.8 lens

Diane B

I'm really pleased with the Oly M.Zuiko 17 f/2.8 lens so far. I had a chance to pick one up today (and play with an EP-1) so drove down to Charlotte (Biggs Camera--about last camera store that can honestly call itself one in the city) and tried it.

We went to a wine tasting--and when we got back it was quite late--dusk, but I thought--what a good time to try out a fast lens. All of these were taken close to 8:30EDT--so pretty doggone low light.

f/4.5 1/25s ISO800 Part of our entrance garden and my studio

Entrance gong and studio again
f/3.5 1/25s ISO640

echinachea/Sundown with cannas f/2.8 1/30s ISO500

daylily f/2.8 1/60s ISO640

BE Susans at pond f/2.8 1/20s ISO800 (only one I ran NR)

Black Eyed Susans--focus on rear 3rd flower
f/2.8 1/30s ISO640

All were handheld, shot in RAW, processed in LR, taken into PS to resize and frame, so used PKS for output sharpening. Oh, and I actually used the LCD to compose and focus. I should mention that the 17 focuses very quickly and quietly--never any problem getting focus in low light--and I also tried interiors in virtually no light to speak of except some outside--what there was left--coming in through windows. This is a keeper.

I plan to just spend some time shooting just with this lens and maybe I'll choose the Hexanon 40 f/1.8 tomorrow and see how that works as a very small kit.

So far--I can say that I'm very happy I bought the lens--its quite small (I'll take a pic of it on G1 tomorrow)--but silver %>( It would be great on the EP-1 *smile*.

Diane

Terry

Diane,
These look really nice. I was doing one of my lens tests tonight so only boring pictures. It is nice having two companies come to market with m4/3. Hopefully we will continue (actually start) to get lenses at a regular pace.

Diane B

I might mention that one of the 'cons', if you can put it that way, of the EP-1 is the very very VERY small lens cap. While shooting with it and my Hexanon 40 f/1.8 today--I must have misplaced the cap 20 times. Well, at least I thought I misplaced it. I would put it in the bag--but its so small and light, I couldn't really feel it when I would put my hand back in to retrieve it. Think I will have to find a dozen of them or so LOL.

Diane

Diane B

Thank you Monza. He went into my favorite sellers immediately for purchase of 10 caps later today. I KNOW I will lose a couple over the year LOL. I've only lost one lens cap in years and years---but this little thing--its going to get slipped between something and I'll misplace it for a good while--maybe only to find it again, but in the meantime, I'll have extras.

You have all kinds of good resources at your finger tips. Thanks again.

Diane

Diane B

Not sure where to post this--and no need to start a new thread, but.... After shooting all day with the 17 and my Hexanon 40 f/1.8--(I did stick in the 14-45 but didn't mount it, but did shoot a bit with the 9-18) I determined what I would really like is a Panny or Oly 24-28mm fast prime. Then--I wouldn't have to carry several adaptors, would have AF (though I use MF quite a lot and enjoy it and feel I have more control)--but really--just have to carry maybe 3 small fast lenses--a 45 or 50 would be super also. I know the 25 would have to be larger, but I'd welcome it if its quite a bit smaller than the Oly 25 f/1.4 without adaptor.

So--that's my wish list for the m4/3rds.

Diane

peterm1

By the way, I called Biggs camera and while they don't have any more 17mm lenses by themselves, they DO have the E-P1 kit with the 17mm lens....

Peter

V

Vivek

The original Olympus rear lens cap is:

Rear lens cap LR-2 260056 $4.99:)

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Agreed - they are not in stock anywhere.

So I ordered a bunch of these yesterday from the same ebay ad that Terry linked.

I like to glue two rear caps, back to back, so that I can store two lenses in the same pocket of my camera pouch. I used this method with my M lenses, and it's very convenient. Keeps the lenses from rattling around and rubbing against each other when in the back.

But I like to buy extra caps to do this, so that I still have my "single" caps when I need them.

Diane B

Great tip Mike. I bought a bag of lens caps, rear and front, for my FDs. I can do that with the several FDs I carry regularly.

Thanks,
Diane

Diane B

I'm working on a project--Highway 70/Across North Carolina and used the M. Zuiko 17 f/2.8 and Hexanon 40 f/1.8 for most all shots Friday. These were shot in RAW, but processed for consistency for the end printing--and for the look I wanted.

For anyone that has heard of kudzu, the bane of the South, this is what it can create--a surreal landscape.

Not for project

Have more that I haven't processed--got more keepers for project than expected and about 2/3 with the 17 surprisingly. Then--some in the loop away from this highway. Turned out to be a decent shooting day and the sky was lovely--or at least the way I like for b & w shooting.

One more--I'll probably use the 40mm shot/composition but also liked this one.

Pbase seems to be updating or something today--some of my galleries have wrong color BG and things are slow, so these may not link quickly.

Diane

Last edited:
F

FredB

Hi Diane do you know how well it would do for indoor shots for kids? Do you think the flash would still be required. Is it too slow for such things? Thanks

Diane B

I can shoot indoors easily--and the AF is quick--but--if you don't have light on the faces of the kids, you will end up with a properly exposed photo--but dark foreground possibly--and depending upon the shutter speed, the kids could be blurs. IOW--the areas around lamps, windows will be 'right' but the kids, if not in light, may not suit you. I tried shooting very dark interiors the first night and it does well--jumped up to my max IOS800 at f/2.8, but AF without hunting. I didn't try fast moving. It will all depend upon your shutter speed in your light. Maybe someone that has one will try it for shooting kids indoors.

Diane

Godfrey

I'm working on a project--Highway 70/Across North Carolina and used the M. Zuiko 17 f/2.8 and Hexanon 40 f/1.8 for most all shots Friday. These were shot in RAW, but processed for consistency for the end printing--and for the look I wanted.

http://www.pbase.com/picnic/image/114914717/original.jpg

For anyone that has heard of kudzu, the bane of the South, this is what it can create--a surreal landscape.

http://www.pbase.com/picnic/image/114914716/original.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/picnic/image/114914714/original.jpg

Not for project

http://www.pbase.com/picnic/image/114914713/original.jpg

Have more that I haven't processed--got more keepers for project than expected and about 2/3 with the 17 surprisingly. Then--some in the loop away from this highway. Turned out to be a decent shooting day and the sky was lovely--or at least the way I like for b & w shooting.

One more--I'll probably use the 40mm shot/composition but also liked this one.
http://upload.pbase.com/picnic/image/114916430/original.jpg

Pbase seems to be updating or something today--some of my galleries have wrong color BG and things are slow, so these may not link quickly.
Looks like a great project, Diane! A wide and a portrait tele are a great combination of lenses to work with. Keep going! :)