Site Sponsors

Thread: 40mm Voigtlander pancake on E-P1?

Post Thanks / Like

40mm Voigtlander pancake on E-P1?

Anyone try this lens on the E-P1? It might make a great combo, although of course the needed adapters will add more bulk.

Senior Subscriber Member Mike Hatam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: 40mm Voigtlander pancake on E-P1?

I have the CV 40/1.4 Nokton, which just arrived today. Is that the one you're talking about?

I plan to compare it to the M 50 lux, to see if the CV is close enough to keep.

Mike
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

mtwo

I have this lens and have had it for some time. It is indeed small and fast. I have used it with film and with an M8. I did not much care for its rendition on the M8 but I never really liked that camera. On film it tends to have low contrast wide open which improves a couple stops down. It is a fun little lens and I also am anxious to try in on my G1 when the adapter shows up.

I also have the 40mm f2 Ultron in F mount which I think is a somewhat better lens. Now I am wondering if it is worth buying an F to micro 4/3 adapter. I have a bunch of Nikon glass so I suppose it is inevitable. JOhn

azul123

but mentioned lens is pancake... CV 40mm F1.4 is no pancake.

mtwo

I do not consider either lens a pancake. Both protrude from the body by about the same amount. I have not measured it but have looked at them with a calibrated eye. The 40mm f2 is a nice lens. It is sharp, renders colors well, and has about the right amount of contrast. It turns a D700 into an almost easy to carry walk around camera, well, almost. John

Post Thanks / Like

Just to be clear I was referring to the Ultron f/2 in F mount sold by Cameraquest. It may not be a "pancake" but it is pretty darn small. I just ordered one for my E-P1 and D700. It should make a nice compact kit with the E-P1 for portrait length shots, and a nice street shooting kit with the D700. I was shooting yesterday with my 50mm ZF makro on the E-P1 and it is very front-heavy, but I was getting great results.

When the Oly 17mm is more widely available I plan to get one as well. The E-P1/17mm/40mm would make a great compact kit.

Peter