The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Raw converter for E-P1

volkerhopf

Today I had a look at the beta version of RAW PHOTO PROCESSOR RPP and was very happy with the results. This is a very good alternative to the other converters and I use it quite regularly with M8 files. It is certainly worthwhile trying.

Thanks to Terry for letting me have her test raw files. I hope I will be able to use my own files pretty soon when the E-P1 arrives.

Volker

pellicle

Hello to (another) Auzzie ... so, how'z it compare to say dcraw?

I've previously been soldily an ACR fan but after changing to the G1 (which I would expect has similar RAW files) found that dcraw and photomatix give me excellent results

dcraw works well with batch operations of light conditions and extracting thumbnails from the raw files

photomatix makes nice conversions and provides colour temperature options

it would be interesting to make a comparison from the same RAW file

volkerhopf

I use only Lightroom and DXO and found RPP produces usually the most true colours of the three.
RPP is a donation ware program so you can try it before you buy it.
A comparison would be only useful if one stuck to the initial settings without doing any manipulations.

pellicle

Hi

A comparison would be only useful if one stuck to the initial settings without doing any manipulations.
well, clearly we think differently ... I find it interesting to see what different converters pull out of the same image.

It used to be quite stark though clearly things may have changed :)

volkerhopf

Hi

well, clearly we think differently ... I find it interesting to see what different converters pull out of the same image.

It used to be quite stark though clearly things may have changed :)
Hi,
I agree with you but a comparison like that would need to take the skills of the operator into account.

Regards
Volker

C

cwilt

RPP output for EP-1 should improve once a camera profile is created for it. The individual who does that is currently away on business. Once contact is made again I will drop a hint for a EP-1 profile.;)

I have one for the G1 but I don't know if it made it into the latest beta release or not. It can be tough to decide between using a developer that uses in camera settings and makes auto corrections and one that doesn't. For me I often switch between Silky, LR, and RPP. LR is what I use for file management but I find its color to be off even with a custom profile made with adobe DNG profile editor. RPP has the best output for the G1 in my opinion but it lacks the bells and whistles of Sikly.

I´ve been using RPP these last days, and I find it a excellent Raw converter, the DR is better than with others converters and also the sharpness is outstanding. To get the best results one must spend some time studiyng it, specially the highlite recovery and exposure compression features.

Here is a interesting article by Pete Myers on the subject http://www.reddogjournal.com/PM-7.php

C

cwilt

Thats a really nice article and I am sure Andrey appreciated it. It would be interesting if Pete had shown examples of why he picked RPP.