Site Sponsors

Thread: EP-1 an ideal "middle" cam?

Post Thanks / Like

EP-1 an ideal "middle" cam?

It seems that the EP-1 is a bit of a "holy grail" cam for a number of reasons. While I don't have legacy glass (other than some very nice Pentax ltd primes), I do like shooting "street" or at least walkabout. The DLux4 is ideal except that sometimes I'd like a higher rez file. My K20d gives a very nice file but...well, it's a dSLR. And that form factor immediately gives a different vibe both as a user and for subjects. I picked up a new K7 but am finding that it is too small (as is the G1). Carrying it around one-handed is tiring not due to large size or weight but lack of mass to fit in my hand.

I end up carrying the DLux4 differently, and seems the EP-1 might be in the same camp. A dSLR pretty much forces you into one way of holding it, whereas the "compact" gives a couple of options (I run my thumb along the bottom of the camera, middle finger curled in the front, index on top).

I know there are a lot of multiple system users here. Are you finding that the EP-1 is "replacing" a dSLR and providing you with the "I'm not a pro photographer, just out snapping pics" vibe? At this point I'm actually thinking DLux4/EP-1/a900 (or something FF). If I'm going to carry a "dSLR" form factor then I should get a big bang for the buck...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: EP-1 an ideal "middle" cam?

I was thinking the same thing. I wish we would hear more about the "new" A800 or whatever it is going to be. The E-P1 has a nice feel to it. I just hope I can get into the VF vs LCD thing. I came from a Contax background and Zeiss glass has it's own look as does Leica glass. I love both. Only the Shadow knows for sure.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmmm - yes - it's a different thing.
    I want RAW support in Aperture or C1, but given that I think it's going to be a real winner for me. . . three systems I think:

EP-1, M8, A900

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I went and handled the EP-1 and my reaction was mixed. I can't really shoot it "one-handed" holding it like I do the DLux-4 - just too much weight out at the lens. It shook a lot (though SR took care of that for the photo). Part of it is just getting used to the different shape. Seems like more of a 2-handed camera.

Held the a900, 5D and D700. None of them really "fit" my hand, though the 5d was closest. I have to admit that picking the Pentax back up made me appreciate it. I do love the ltd prime lenses. Maybe time to take some rubber foam tape and build out the grip on that...

This damn pursuit of "perfect" is going to kill me. I blame my mom.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    I went and handled the EP-1 and my reaction was mixed. I can't really shoot it "one-handed" holding it like I do the DLux-4 - just too much weight out at the lens. It shook a lot (though SR took care of that for the photo). Part of it is just getting used to the different shape. Seems like more of a 2-handed camera.

Held the a900, 5D and D700. None of them really "fit" my hand, though the 5d was closest. I have to admit that picking the Pentax back up made me appreciate it. I do love the ltd prime lenses. Maybe time to take some rubber foam tape and build out the grip on that...

This damn pursuit of "perfect" is going to kill me. I blame my mom.
    Give it up immediately - it'll all end in tears!
    As for the EP-1 - well, it IS different, but I nearly always shoot one handed, I think it's different enough not to be able to expect to get the feel of it in half an hour.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Give it up immediately - it'll all end in tears!
    As for the EP-1 - well, it IS different, but I nearly always shoot one handed, I think it's different enough not to be able to expect to get the feel of it in half an hour.
    Half an hour? I spent 3 minutes. I do everything in 3 minutes.

Well, perhaps not everything.

No...everything. If I can't figure it out in 3 minutes it isn't worth...oh...look...a shiny object!!!