The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pany 7-14 lens

ecsh

I went through the thread with this lens, and there are nice shots to be sure, but is this lens really worth the 1k that they want for it, at overseas prices as well?:shocked: I can only imagine what it will cost when it hits our shore. It only seemed that there was a couple of different posters in that thread.
Joe

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Joe,

Wide angle lenses are traditionally very difficult to design and build to produce sharp clean images at the edges. This is even harder when you have a 2x crop factor, and have to use extremely short focal lengths, like 7-14mm.

This lens performs very well. It is very sharp with excellent image quality. It compares favorably to lenses like the Canon 16-35 on full-frame sensors.

Based on this, in my opinion, it's a reasonably priced lens.

Granted it's significantly more than the kit lens, or the 45-200, but it's reasonably priced when compared to pro-level wide-angles from other manufacturers.

If you want a 14-28mm (equiv 35mm focal lengths) with autofocus on an mft mount, there's no better option. In fact, there is simply no other option. But they are not overpricing the lens, when compared to other systems.

ecsh

Thanks Mike
From the pics i saw, it looks very good. Even the corners look good. I just have not really seen that much from the lens on any other forum except here.
Joe

Terry

It hasn't been easy to get the lens. There was a dealer in Canada that got a couple (where mine came from). They really haven't been released in the US yet. I ended up paying a premium for mine (because the exchange rate went against me) but I am very happy with it. It has performed flawlessly on both the G1 and E-P1. On the G1 I keep the grid lines on to help me line things up and on the E-P1 the level can come in mighty handy.

V

Vivek

For what it does, it is priced well (compare Olympus' 4/3rds 7-14 price!).

A lens on my list to buy. It has not made it to Europe at all, for some inexplicable reasons (well, Rafael paid a lot of duty to get it from Japan.)

Martin S

The lens is simply not yet available in the U.S.

The results seem to be universally good from those few posters who have been able to purchase it.

Wide angle lenses are typically inexpensive, and poor, or excellent, and expensive.

The Panasonic is an ultra wide angle, and fits the latter description.

It never fails to amaze me how Panasonic frequently has delivery issues with lenses and accessories. B&H doesn't even list the lens. The 4/3 25 mm f 1.4 is almost always back ordered, and now the 45-200 m 4/3 lens is back ordered.

What is it with Panasonic - do they have problems estimating demand and production levels, or are the lenses made in some basement workroom one at a time?? This is a huge company making an incredible array of products. They have a gazillion factories all over Asia, and the rest of the world. They are not like Leica's small manufacturing capability (whose lenses are also frequently back ordered).

Martin

ecsh

Well, i am reluctant to purchase the lens from Japan, and then have issues with the lens. Will Panasonic in the US fix the lens if there is issues, or is this like Nikon where you are out of luck if you have a problem? You are correct about it only being listed overseas at the moment, and i wonder why someone like B&H do not even show it arriving in the future like they have done in the past with some lens.

Martin S

This statement is pure speculation.

Perhaps B&H is all too aware of the Panasonic delivery issues, and wants to wait until there is some form of stable availability b4 they list it.

Martin

Terry

Panasonic is now not in Best Buy or any place else you can buy compact cameras other than essentially on line. I asked someone at a smaller shop who said they've gotten rid of all sales reps. Your best bet if you want it from the US is to watch Panasonic.com I've called them and they say July.
Mine came from Bill Wilby a forum member/dealer in Canada. Panasonic Canada is independent of US distibution. Depending on the exchange rate it can be a good deal or not depends on your desperation level. Mine was a bit pricey in USD terms but I've now had it for more than 2 months and love it. I believe he is slated to get some more in soon. See the commercial buy/sell an the bottom of the main page for details.

If by chance you work for a large corporate entity like I do, check and see if you have an employee purchase program. We do. Panasonic is on it, and the prices can be very very good. If they get 7-14 in and the 14-140 the prices are compelling.

ecsh

Well, it looks good, so i ordered one from an Ebay supplier. Should only take a week to get here. It probably would not make it to the camera suppliers anytime soon in the US. Thanks for all the advise.:thumbup:

photoSmart42

Panasonic is now not in Best Buy or any place else you can buy compact cameras other than essentially on line.
They sell the G1 at Fry's if you have access to one. It's a big electronics chain in California, but not sure how far East it spreads. I haven't seen the GH1 there yet, nor any of the extra lenses. At least they have the actual camera.

slau

Haven't seen any of the Pany 7-14 lens in my part of Canada either. But, when I picked up my replacement GH1 last Monday at my local camera store, they had another 12 GH1 just came in from the delivery truck. I had to wait more than 3 weeks for my replacement. Hopefully Panasonic finally catch up.

cap'n bill

In the UK the cheapest way to get one is to use one of the Ebay Japanese suppliers. Even with the VAT (sales tax), duty, carriers charge and anything else the bloodsuckers can think of it's still less thatn Panasonic's price which isn't discounted much yet.

By the way - it's a lovely lens.

scho

I was on Bill's list for the 7-14 for awhile, but it wasn't clear when he would get them in again so I bought one from Dirk at JE an had it in 3 days (no duty charges) shipped by EMS. Very nice lens on both the G1 and E-P1.

E-P1:

G1:

V

Vivek

Luscious greens, Carl (now that I have a decent monitor, I can actually see them and appreciate it)! :)

You folks (in the US) are lucky with the duty stuff. Here it is 19% VAT plus any customs handling and all that.

No sign of that 7-14 anywhere here (that I know of).

scho

Nice shots scho. Does anyone have the Panasonic 7-14 and the Olympus 9-18?
Comments?

Keith
Thanks Keith. I almost bought the 9-18, but waited for the 7-14 to complete the Panasonic kit: 7-14, 14-45, 45-200. Only thing missing is the speed - 20 1.7 where are you?

Regards,
Carl