The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1, shutter/ISO limit problem.

mark1000

Hi guys, if i set ISO to auto and set the auto ISO limit to OFF and then use shutter priority mode the ISO wont go beyond 400, am i missing a setting somewhere. I did notice that if i set the auto ISO limit to any other setting other than OFF, IE 1600, then in shutter priority mode ISO would go all the way up to 1600 if it needed to.

Mark.

Diane B

What are you trying to accomplish Mark? If you set it to off, do you want it to be able to shoot at any of the ISO settings (choose in auto) up to 1600--or do you want to be able to set your own ISO. IF so--I would just take it off auto and set to 100ISO and then just choose ISO as you want.

If you, for instance (as I do), perhaps not want it to go above ISO800 when its setting the auto ISO setting, then choose 800 as your max--or if you want it to choose any ISO up to and including ISO1600, then you need to set your max ISO to 1600.

I just tried it with auto set to off and it does indeed choose up to ISO400--not sure why that, so not sure why one would set it to off. But then--if you don't want to use auto ISO--the better way is to choose ISO 100 and then each shot choose your own ISO.

I suspect that what you want is to be able to shoot with auto ISO, allowing the camera to choose according to brightness, up to and including 1600. So--rather than set it to off--choose 1600 as your max number, click on okay and choose auto as your ISO choice.

Hope this helps.
Diane

mark1000

What are you trying to accomplish Mark? If you set it to off, do you want it to be able to shoot at any of the ISO settings (choose in auto) up to 1600--or do you want to be able to set your own ISO. IF so--I would just take it off auto and set to 100ISO and then just choose ISO as you want.

If you, for instance (as I do), perhaps not want it to go above ISO800 when its setting the auto ISO setting, then choose 800 as your max--or if you want it to choose any ISO up to and including ISO1600, then you need to set your max ISO to 1600.

I just tried it with auto set to off and it does indeed choose up to ISO400--not sure why that, so not sure why one would set it to off. But then--if you don't want to use auto ISO--the better way is to choose ISO 100 and then each shot choose your own ISO.

I suspect that what you want is to be able to shoot with auto ISO, allowing the camera to choose according to brightness, up to and including 1600. So--rather than set it to off--choose 1600 as your max number, click on okay and choose auto as your ISO choice.

Hope this helps.
Diane
Hi Diane, what i want to do is set my G1 to shutter priority at my desired speed, lets say 1/2000 and let auto ISO set itself to the required setting, even if that means going over ISO1600 to give me a properly exposed image, even if it is a noise fest.

The pic i'm trying to get is of a Robin feeding from my wifes hand, so i need a super fast shutter speed to catch this lightning fast bird, thing is i could just set the ISO and shutter speed manually but when your sat there waiting for up to 10 minutes at a time in constantly changing light i just want the auto ISO to change so i can keep my shutter speed constant.

I hope i have made sense.

Mark.

Diane B

You did. Just that Panasonic has seen fit to make ISO 1600 be the highest the camera can choose in auto. I suspect its because they feel that above 3200 is just not really very good with this camera and if you want to try using it, then you're on your own LOL.

If you set your shutter speed, even without setting ISO, then your aperture should change to get a correct exposure--within limits--depending upon how fast your lens is. If its very dark, why not set it at 1600 max and see how it works out--or try one of the higher ISOs and see what happens with the camera setting the aperture for a 'correct' exposure. There's not a good answer if you need an extreme range of ISO because of changing light conditions.

Diane

Godfrey

Page 79 in the Panasonic G1 Instruction Manual says:
When the ISOLIMITSET of REC mode menu (P104) is set to anything except OFF,
it is set automatically within the value set in ISOLIMITSET.

It is set as following when the ISOLIMITSET is set to OFF:
• When setting to AUTO, ISO sensitivity will adjust automatically depending on brightness within the maximum setting of ISO400.
• When setting to iAuto, ISO sensitivity will adjust automatically depending on brightness within the maximum setting of ISO800. (ISO400 when the flash is used).
There is no Auto ISO mode that includes the range to ISO 3200 on this camera. To me, the boon in the G1 is that I can program a higher limit to Auto ISO... the L1 model didn't have this feature at all and always used the range ISO 100-400. Anything higher is a manual choice (as it should be, really, for best quality).

The use of ISO3200 is always a specific, conscious choice by the photographer in Panasonic's view. Given that the G1 ISO settings are, on average, half a stop pessimistic of the actual sensor sensitivity, that ISO 1600 limit is really closer to ISO 2400 anyway. I generally have ISO 800 set as the limit, use Auto ISO and set EV Compensation to -0.3EV as a default. That gives a huge range of exposure values ... !

mark1000

You did. Just that Panasonic has seen fit to make ISO 1600 be the highest the camera can choose in auto. I suspect its because they feel that above 3200 is just not really very good with this camera and if you want to try using it, then you're on your own LOL.

If you set your shutter speed, even without setting ISO, then your aperture should change to get a correct exposure--within limits--depending upon how fast your lens is. If its very dark, why not set it at 1600 max and see how it works out--or try one of the higher ISOs and see what happens with the camera setting the aperture for a 'correct' exposure. There's not a good answer if you need an extreme range of ISO because of changing light conditions.

Diane
Thanks, so i haven't found a bug, just a design implementation, i'll work round it i suppose.

Mark.

mark1000

Page 79 in the Panasonic G1 Instruction Manual says:

There is no Auto ISO mode that includes the range to ISO 3200 on this camera. To me, the boon in the G1 is that I can program a higher limit to Auto ISO... the L1 model didn't have this feature at all and always used the range ISO 100-400. Anything higher is a manual choice (as it should be, really, for best quality).

The use of ISO3200 is always a specific, conscious choice by the photographer in Panasonic's view. Given that the G1 ISO settings are, on average, half a stop pessimistic of the actual sensor sensitivity, that ISO 1600 limit is really closer to ISO 2400 anyway. I generally have ISO 800 set as the limit, use Auto ISO and set EV Compensation to -0.3EV as a default. That gives a huge range of exposure values ... !
Thanks Godfrey, i better learn to read all the manual in future,thanks for pointing this out, and i guess i'll figure out the settings i need by trial and error.

Mark.