The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-P1 and cameraquest binge?

nostatic

I have to admit...I've been oogling some of the Voight lenses at cameraquest with bad intentions. I actually would love to get some proper Leica glass along with an E-P1 as I love the look of some of the shots I see in the comparison threads here. But budgets are budgets. I was thinking like the 28/2 or 35/1.4 or 40/1.4.

Or is that just crazy talk?

Like asking this crowd is going to get me a fiscally sensible answer :ROTFL:

(psst - just buy a cron)

Terry

I would normally say be careful with the 35 f1.4 as it had backfocus problems on the M8 but since you are using live view to focus that should not be an issue. I'm not sure if the 35 1.4 had some other things going on with it when released but plenty was written on this forum so a search is in order.

Aparently the 28 doesn't have the corner softness that is noted with wide lenses. I'm not sure where I saw that posted but worth investigating.

Do not buy a 28 cron for the G1/E-P1 they aren't great companions for the price you would be paying.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I would add be careful of any M lens less than 50mm unless you have heard from someone you really trust that it gives good results. My tests on a wide range of Leica and CV glass, plus Sean Reid's findings, indicate that lenses under 50mm are compromised (for long and bring technical reasons) by corner softness.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
I got the 40/1.4 nokton, and I think it works well with the E-P1. The bokeh is not as creamy as the 50 lux, but it's a nice focal length, and a good value. Soft glow wide open, and then pretty darn sharp by f4.

Mike