Site Sponsors

Thread: E-P1 and cameraquest binge?

Post Thanks / Like

E-P1 and cameraquest binge?

I have to admit...I've been oogling some of the Voight lenses at cameraquest with bad intentions. I actually would love to get some proper Leica glass along with an E-P1 as I love the look of some of the shots I see in the comparison threads here. But budgets are budgets. I was thinking like the 28/2 or 35/1.4 or 40/1.4.

Or is that just crazy talk?

Like asking this crowd is going to get me a fiscally sensible answer

(psst - just buy a cron)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: E-P1 and cameraquest binge?

I would normally say be careful with the 35 f1.4 as it had backfocus problems on the M8 but since you are using live view to focus that should not be an issue. I'm not sure if the 35 1.4 had some other things going on with it when released but plenty was written on this forum so a search is in order.

Aparently the 28 doesn't have the corner softness that is noted with wide lenses. I'm not sure where I saw that posted but worth investigating.

Do not buy a 28 cron for the G1/E-P1 they aren't great companions for the price you would be paying.

Post Thanks / Like

I would add be careful of any M lens less than 50mm unless you have heard from someone you really trust that it gives good results. My tests on a wide range of Leica and CV glass, plus Sean Reid's findings, indicate that lenses under 50mm are compromised (for long and bring technical reasons) by corner softness.

Senior Subscriber Member Mike Hatam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I got the 40/1.4 nokton, and I think it works well with the E-P1. The bokeh is not as creamy as the 50 lux, but it's a nice focal length, and a good value. Soft glow wide open, and then pretty darn sharp by f4.

Mike
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100