The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-P1 Dynamic range

Rawfa

Is it me or isn't the dynamic range on the E-P1 that great? I have to say that compared to the DP1 I'm finding a BIG difference. The detail and dynamic range on the DP1 is just phenomenal and I thought that was what I was going to get with the E-P1...sadly it doesn't seem so.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
I haven't compared to the DP1, but isn't that one of those special 3-layer sensors for true color? Lower resolution, higher color accuracy and dynamic range. Probably not an apples-to-apples comparison.

The E-P1 has better dynamic range that I saw on my E-420, and at least as good (maybe a touch better) than I had on my G1.

But I'm still waiting for good raw processors (LR/CS) to support the E-P1, so I can see how much headroom I have in the highlights, and how much I can mash the bits around without ruining the file.

Rawfa

That's another thing, with the DP1 you could really pound it's jpgs hard on post and they wouldn't fall apart. I'm also still waiting for RAW support for Photoshop to see how it goes.

tashley

Subscriber Member
That's another thing, with the DP1 you could really pound it's jpgs hard on post and they wouldn't fall apart. I'm also still waiting for RAW support for Photoshop to see how it goes.
I disagree profoundly.

DP1 files look astonishing first up on screen: silky, gorgeous, almost better than real. As native sized images they also take quite a lot of processing and in many situations they upres well: I had a show last year where I exhibited 20 x 30 inch shots, some from an M8 and some from a Canon 1DSIII but I snuck in one from the DP1 and not only did no one comment on any perceived quality difference but it turned out to be one of the best sellers of the edition.

But the DP1 is now my glovebox camera: too good to sell on eBay but not good enough to be my main 'small carry around'. The reason is what it does to any regular round shapes (balls, arches on buildings etc) when upresed to the files size dimensions it lays claims to. All those curves go 'aliased jaggy' and it shows in prints, starting in some cases not far above A4.

Also anything above ISO 200 has weird colours for reasons we all know and PP to try to correct this can force you into other corners.

This week's amateur photographer mag in the UK found what I find: that if you expose the Pen at it's natural ISO of 200 you get very satisfactory DR and furthermore, the camera's exposure system is so consistently good that you most often get every drop of that DR. Just make sure that you turn of the display boost option so that when you use exposure compensation for heavily backlit situations, the LCD does in fact let you see what you're doing!

Best

Tim

mod2001

we discuss this in the german DSLR-Forum as well. OOC, the DP1/DP2 is unreachable for the E-P1, but if you develop RAW-Files, even with the Kit-Lens(remember DP1/2 are primes), the results are slightly better, so take a closer look at the photos here:

http://www.dslr-forum.de/showpost.php?p=5287978&postcount=581

In the moment i use C1 with the hack(Profile of the E-30), but i think we have to wait for the correct profile for the E-P1 before final conclusion about the IQ.

Yogi

Brian Mosley

Is it me or isn't the dynamic range on the E-P1 that great? I have to say that compared to the DP1 I'm finding a BIG difference. The detail and dynamic range on the DP1 is just phenomenal and I thought that was what I was going to get with the E-P1...sadly it doesn't seem so.
I think it's you :p

The E-P1 has excellent dynamic range imho.

E-P1 + 17mm f2.8 pancake
1/100s f/2.8 at 17.0mm iso200

I have the DP1 too... nothing special compared to the E-P1.

Kind Regards

Brian

Rawfa

I think it's you :p

The E-P1 has excellent dynamic range imho.

E-P1 + 17mm f2.8 pancake
1/100s f/2.8 at 17.0mm iso200

I have the DP1 too... nothing special compared to the E-P1.

Kind Regards

Brian
JPEGs wise I really don't see it. Like it was said before RAW maybe a different story. But I won't find that out until Photoshop puts out a RAW update for the E-P1 (I absolutely hate having to use different apps when one should be able to do everything).

Rawfa

Is there any in-camera filter or setting that could maybe increase the dynamic range? The first day I've got the camera I've tried one of those art filters called "pale" (I think that's how it's called) but it won't let you use the camera in manual mode. I don't know, maybe I'll simply try decreasing the contrast...

bcaslis

What settings did you use for the E-P1? It has best dynamic range at ISO 200. You will get reduced dynamic range at ISO 100.

bcaslis

I would have to disagree with this. I've seen nothing including my own pictures that suggest RAW doesn't see a dynamic range drop when using ISO 100. The base ISO of the camera is 200. ISO 100 simply overexposes and then reduces the brightness. You don't lose DR in the shadows but you will lose it in the highlights for sure.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I would have to disagree with this. I've seen nothing including my own pictures that suggest RAW doesn't see a dynamic range drop when using ISO 100. The base ISO of the camera is 200. ISO 100 simply overexposes and then reduces the brightness. You don't lose DR in the shadows but you will lose it in the highlights for sure.
You are 100% right.

pellicle

Hi

I would have to disagree with this. I've seen nothing including my own pictures that suggest RAW doesn't see a dynamic range drop when using ISO 100. The base ISO of the camera is 200. ISO 100 simply overexposes and then reduces the brightness.
how can this be in RAW? If it is reducing brightness then it can not be raw, unless there is a different encoding strategy for the analog data from the sensor in different ISO settings.

I have seen nothing to suggest this in my own camera (G1)