Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Selling G1 getting E-P1, a Good Decision?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Selling G1 getting E-P1, a Good Decision?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Vivek, I'm sure we must be talking about different cameras... could you please expand on which features/functions/usefulness you feel are missing?

This is the most feature rich camera I've ever used, has a high quality build and delivers superb IQ... I'm baffled by your assessment. Have you actually used one?

Kind Regards

Brian
    Indeed, I have, Brian. Gorgeous camera. With the black outfit that is now available, it would be stupendous (I am looking for a gold cover to commemorate the 50 years of Pen though).

Seriously, I close my eyes everytime I pass by a shop that has the E-P1. Absolutely, drop dead gorgeous.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by petermcwerner View Post
    Monza, Vivek,

I have been playing with the idea of buying the 17mm alone to use on the G1. What is your experience with this combination?

Cheers
    Peter

Apologies for forgetting Diane's threads (actually two) with many samples from the 17/2.8.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Indeed, I have, Brian. Gorgeous camera. With the black outfit that is now available, it would be stupendous (I am looking for a gold cover to commemorate the 50 years of Pen though).
    Ask for a similar E-P1 outfit

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nei1 View Post
    I think it was just a JOKE terry,lighten up,some of you americans take yourselves tOOseriously............best to you...Neil
    Neil

I know Terry and she takes her photography very seriously indeed.

She, and many, use these threads as a learning tool, not an entertainment experience. So while you joke, others choke.

I am very O.K with your point of view. But not if the way it is applied is to irreverently POKE on others who are trying to learn and share.

I think you should take your humor elsewhere and allow the folks on this forum and these threads to maximize the learning experience.

Yours

A way too uptight, foolish, AMERICAN. And thanks for the geographical attempt at humor which is worthless!!

Woody

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nei1 View Post

Its just a joke,really some of you swiss take yourselves too seriously,lighten up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!best to you,..........Neil.
    I don't think most people here are uptight at all. Quite the opposite actually.

The problem is until people really "know you" the internet isn't the best medium to convey humor through text based conversation alone. You lose body language, character, and tone amongst the many things involved in translating humor to an audience.

That said I don't think anyone means harm on either side so it's best just to move along to newer topics.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

nei1

As you are commenting on a comment by someone else as was I.The original comment was made by hot where a rare attempt at humour was misunderstood ,my comment was over that missunderstanding.If you find that annoying then it looks like Im right.

However my intent was to cause nothing more than a wry smile so my apologies to all you frowners.......Neil.

Last edited by nei1; 23rd July 2009 at 23:05.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are not a professional photographer, photography should make

FUN / FUN / FUN & JOY

Cameras are tools for that. Not more.

That's my opinion about taking pictures - since (light)years.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll jump back in here. I'll think you'll find from my cumulative list of posts on this forum that while I do take my photography seriously I do have a sense of humor that I use quite regularly. What I try not to do is to mock peoples' choices of gear. What I was finally reacting to was not a single joke but a cumulative batch of posts about the E-P1 vs. G1 from "Hot". Here are some of the posts:

I think E-P1 is a (nineteenth) milestone in mFT, a nice camera - but for ME a overpriced toy. For pocket (aaaand 1280x720 movie) I have a Samsung WB500 with 10x zoom for 1/4 price of E-P1. And it IS...

Haha, a camera without articulating display, without EVF, without flash .... - that is named "JOKE-P1" !

Hehe, I've G1 AND GH1 and would not change for all money of this world against "a toy" like E-P1

GH1 is the better E-P1

detto ... but I have enough toys :-}

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I played with the E-P1 on my latest trip and I leave tomorrow on another trip so I will get to play some more. It does take a little more effort to really start to feel you are mastering aspects of this camera. I just wish there was better RAW support. I have played with the JPGs using the new Bibble Pro 5 and I really like some of the aspects of the way it renders the image. It may actually give LR a run for its money as it seems to be much faster. LR has steadily gotten slower and slower. C1 renders nicely but is harder to use and does not have as many features.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    There is a thread in this forum (look for thread header with 17 f/2.8 in name) with shots I took first day with the 17 on the G1--or you can go here--there are quite a lot of shots of the 17 on the G1. I like it very much--makes the G1 quite a small package, very few cons I can find. I shoot in RAW so any CA is dealt with (if I turn it on in LR--which I forgot to do in first shot in gallery LOL--Vivek pointed it out).

start here--a number of 17 shots
    http://www.pbase.com/picnic/image/115045910
    'Turn on' the CA correction? -- you don't mean some sort of automatic correction, surely? Or have I missed something?
    Sláinte

Robert.

mattyUK

Hi, i had a similar dilemma to the poster. I have recently sold my D300 and decent set of primes (180 f2.8, 35f2, voigtlander 40 & 58) and switched to m4/3 for health reasons (weight). I had to weigh up (excuse poor pun) choosing between faster AF (although not necessarily more accurate), swivel lcd, built in EVF etc. I was sorely tempted by the EP1 and I thought it might have been ideal but in the end plumped for the G1 (price factor too, great deals on it now).
    Its horses for courses. I chose G1 as quite like a deep grip, and looking through a 'traditional' viewfinder (even if it is evf) due to my eyesight. I cannot crouch and the swivel screen allows me to frame shots quite easily.
    Theres pro's and con's. Based on 90% of the threads i've read EP1 buyers love the camera. I am in no doubt had i chosen the EP1 (even though due to medical reason i would be very slightly more restricted) I would have loved it.
    Just my 2 cents :-)

Post Thanks / Like

E-P1 shine will be off soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by mattyUK View Post
    Hi, i had a similar dilemma to the poster. I have recently sold my D300 and decent set of primes (180 f2.8, 35f2, voigtlander 40 & 58) and switched to m4/3 for health reasons (weight). I had to weigh up (excuse poor pun) choosing between faster AF (although not necessarily more accurate), swivel lcd, built in EVF etc. I was sorely tempted by the EP1 and I thought it might have been ideal but in the end plumped for the G1 (price factor too, great deals on it now).
    Its horses for courses. I chose G1 as quite like a deep grip, and looking through a 'traditional' viewfinder (even if it is evf) due to my eyesight. I cannot crouch and the swivel screen allows me to frame shots quite easily.
    Theres pro's and con's. Based on 90% of the threads i've read EP1 buyers love the camera. I am in no doubt had i chosen the EP1 (even though due to medical reason i would be very slightly more restricted) I would have loved it.
    Just my 2 cents :-)
    Once the novelty factor wears off, they'll desert it. The people likely to be satisfied with the E-P1 are the people migrating from lesser P&S's because they won't already have a DSLR experience. People for whom no viewfinder (EVF) and poor manual focusing capabilities are alien concepts to them.
    Olympus said they aimed it at such people.
    Last edited by RichA; 24th July 2009 at 15:17.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: E-P1 shine will be off soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    Once the novelty factor wears off, they'll desert it. The people likely to be satisfied with the E-P1 are the people migrating from lesser P&S's because they won't already have a DSLR experience. People for whom no viewfinder (EVF) and poor manual AF capabilities are alien concepts to them.
    It seems to me, that Olympus have been caught out by the level of interest in the E-P1... and from all quarters - if you use the camera for a couple of weeks (provided you have decent eyesight), I think you'll appreciate the level of excitement out there.

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    It seems to me, that Olympus have been caught out by the level of interest in the E-P1... and from all quarters - if you use the camera for a couple of weeks (provided you have decent eyesight), I think you'll appreciate the level of excitement out there.

Cheers

Brian
    I don't doubt the camera is reasonably competent, but it comes down to comparative capabilities. IMO, it is vastly underspec'd compared to the G1 and most DSLRs and isn't much smaller than the G1 so what people are buying is newness and novelty. If they release a new one with a good EVF (or even a good LCD, the current one is mediocre) and built-in flash, and a true pancake lens (like Pentax's 40mm f2.8) then it will be a terrific alternative to a DSLR.

Post Thanks / Like

It is a different form factor and a different way of shooting. Trying to do a direct comparison to a dSLR won't get you very far.

fwiw I have a dSLR and vastly prefer the EP1 to the G1. The G1 is essentially trying to imitate a dSLR. The EP1 isn't. And spec sheets rarely tell the whole story. My g/f loves her G1. I hate it.

But that is the beauty of the marketplace. Buy and use what makes you happy.

Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's not just what a camera does that counts...it's maybe more important HOW it does it and HOW it works with the photographer.
    I feel the EP1 working with me and I only had it for 1 day...The first few images and I felt a synergism with the camera.....This feeling is not common and when it happens....it's magic.

On my Black Laq M4, I had the range finder removed and the frame lines except for the 35mm.... That camera is MOJO for me but alas....it eats film and not pixels....

With the OLY, I gotz magic man and it's a pretty site I tell ya...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

While the size difference is small between the EP1 and the G1 the perceived size difference is much greater. I think it i due to the thiness. I have now received the case and carrying strap from Japan and find it is easy to carry and use and feels like it isn't there. Being all white makes it appear to be innocent and inconspicuous and certainly not threatening like a big black DSLR.

See the photos below:
    Last edited by barjohn; 2nd October 2009 at 15:39.
    V/r John

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I don't doubt the camera is reasonably competent, but it comes down to comparative capabilities. IMO, it is vastly underspec'd compared to the G1 and most DSLRs and isn't much smaller than the G1 so what people are buying is newness and novelty. If they release a new one with a good EVF (or even a good LCD, the current one is mediocre) and built-in flash, and a true pancake lens (like Pentax's 40mm f2.8) then it will be a terrific alternative to a DSLR.
    Well, the G1 doesn't have image stabilization and it doesn't have HD video, so the E-P1 is hardly "underspec'd." To some, the G1 is underspec'd. It all depends on individual choice. I disagree with the newness/novelty comment. It either works for the user, or it doesn't. For example, I rarely if ever use the G1 flash. If I had an E-P1 I wouldn't care that it doesn't have a flash built-in. But my needs aren't the same as other's.

I've said for months that I would consider buying an Olympus if they brought out a model with all the G1 features plus in-body image stabilization. They didn't. Rather than knock the E-P1 for what it is, I'm sticking with the G1 for now. It won't be long til there are more models. That's what is really good about micro 4/3 - having two companies supporting the format.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Well, the G1 doesn't have image stabilization and it doesn't have HD video, so the E-P1 is hardly "underspec'd." To some, the G1 is underspec'd. It all depends on individual choice. I disagree with the newness/novelty comment. It either works for the user, or it doesn't. For example, I rarely if ever use the G1 flash. If I had an E-P1 I wouldn't care that it doesn't have a flash built-in. But my needs aren't the same as other's..
    Is there a built-in flash that doesn't suck? Especially on a smaller camera they generally yield terrible results at least in my hands. I vastly prefer having IS and decent high ISO. I *never* use the flash on the DLux4 or my K20d. Fast glass, IS and available light are a beautiful thing. I'll happily take the high iso noise...

In-body stabilization is a big plus for EP1 and knock against G1. Video is plus for EP1, knock against G1. The articulated display is plus for G1 (if you want to fiddle with it - I don't like to) and knock against EP1. EVF? I despise the G1 EVF. Give me a pentaprism or an LCD. But that is a personal bias...

Post Thanks / Like

I've said for months that I would consider buying an Olympus if they brought out a model with all the G1 features plus in-body image stabilization. They didn't. Rather than knock the E-P1 for what it is, I'm sticking with the G1 for now. It won't be long til there are more models. That's what is really good about micro 4/3 - having two companies supporting the format.
    That's about where I am. I won't knock the E-P1--it knocks my socks off design wise, but otherwise isn't the right camera for me. I'm looking forward to more models to have choices.

I don't/never have used on camera flash so that's not an issue.

Diane

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    EVF? I despise the G1 EVF. Give me a pentaprism or an LCD. But that is a personal bias...
    There won't ever be a micro 4/3 with a pentaprism, of course. On the otherhand, I think the G1 EVF is fantastic.

Post Thanks / Like

There won't ever be a micro 4/3 with a pentaprism, of course. On the otherhand, I think the G1 EVF is fantastic.
    I was thinking of gluing one on

I think it is a case of expectations with me. I had an early EVF camera (Panny FZ-20) and the EVF drove me nuts. I know the G1 is light years ahead of that but when I bought the G1 for my g/f I shot it back to back with my K20d and just had a hard time liking the look of the EVF. I do appreciate the articulated screen though.

The G1 is just a totally different gestalt than the EP1. Really the only similar thing is the sensor size. Otherwise I find them to be totally different beasts.

Post Thanks / Like

The E-P1 is a no go for me. I tried the no viewfinder thing with the D-Lux and that did not work out well. Never felt comfortable shooting it. Sold it less than a month in. Have the G1 and love it. Even though i use the A900 more, alot of times the G1 goes along for the ride because its so small. All in what you like and feel comfortable using.

Senior Subscriber Member Mike Hatam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry Rich, but you just don't know what you are talking about here.

No, the E-P1 is not for everyone (no camera is). But I know some very serious photographers who are delighted with it, and I am one of them.

My main systems for the past two years have been the 5D Mark II and the M8. Not exactly P&S material. I use almost exclusively manual focus lenses. I owned the G1. Nice camera - well conceived and executed. But for me, not nearly as enjoyable to use as the E-P1.

I've been using the E-P1 daily for the past few weeks, and I find it to be an excellent tool for certain situations, most notably travel/street/walk-around shooting. I still grab the Canon for serious portraits, landscapes, or any sports/action shots.

For those who think it's a toy... you are entitled to your opinion, and the E-P1 may not be for you. But you should do yourself a favor, and open your mind a bit. Your close-mindedness will do you a disservice in the long run.

Once the novelty factor wears off, they'll desert it. The people likely to be satisfied with the E-P1 are the people migrating from lesser P&S's because they won't already have a DSLR experience. People for whom no viewfinder (EVF) and poor manual focusing capabilities are alien concepts to them.
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    With the OLY, I gotz magic man and it's a pretty site I tell ya...
    I am feeling concerned for your DP1.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A good friend of mine (20+ years) who is a Canon 1ds Mk III/ 5D Mk II pro (portrait/models), recently picked up an E-P1 from me, and he finds that unlike the big behemoth Canon DSLRs, his models feel much more comfortable when he shoots the E-P1. It doesn't look like a pro camera, so they tend to be more relaxed. He's enjoying the heck out of it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've now been in Iceland for 6 days. Each photo session I take two cameras with me with the A900 always going.

So, the choice is E-P1 or G1. On day 0 before the workshop it was the E-P1 for walking around Reykajvik. Day 1 of the workshop E-P1. Every day since then it has been the G1. While I really enjoy the E-P1 it think it is better suited for street and more casual travel not more rugged back country landscape photography. To me the G1 with the EVF and articulated screen is just much easier to handle and work with out in the field.

In the weeks prior to my trip just shooting in and around San Francisco I hadn't picked up the G1 and loved walking around with the E-P1. I've found both have their strengths and weaknesses. Both are excellent and very happy to have the luxury of owning both. I now feel very comfortable with which tool is best suited for ME for each purpose.

terry
    Last edited by Terry; 25th July 2009 at 00:45.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry - your current assessment makes a lot of sense to me, after working with both cameras.

I think the E-P1 is more suited to street/walk-around type shooting (the types of situations where I would often grab my M8), while the G1 would be better suited for landscape work.

I can see where the articulated LCD and EVF would be really handy in landscape shooting situations. The nice thing about the G1 EVF is that it is well in low light.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of your shots from Iceland!
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

More info from the Canon pro:

"I took the new Olympus into the studio today and did a few
    test shots on a white seamless. This is the kit zoom at the longest
    focal length, the hot shoe triggered the Alien Bees on first attempt.
    Neither Aperture or ACR support the RAW file yet, so this is a 100%
    non-retouched full res jpeg - of my camera shy assistant

As you can see, plenty of shadow detail in her black shorts, nice skin
    tones, a "little" banding in the highlight transition area on her
    arms, but that should be better with RAW.

Of course, it's not designed to be a studio camera, but I wanted to
    test the image quality and the lights were already set up.

So far, I think Olympus has a winner here!"

Click on the image for full-size.

A good friend of mine (20+ years) who is a Canon 1ds Mk III/ 5D Mk II pro (portrait/models), recently picked up an E-P1 from me, and he finds that unlike the big behemoth Canon DSLRs, his models feel much more comfortable when he shoots the E-P1. It doesn't look like a pro camera, so they tend to be more relaxed. He's enjoying the heck out of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I am feeling concerned for your DP1.
    Tim,
    Yeah...Siggy is in trouble. There are a few features missing from the OLY but I'm sure in a firmware update....that will be fixed.

I sold G9 already...much to my surprise. Oly replaced that camera in about 15 seconds....
    Shooter

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As you can see, plenty of shadow detail in her black shorts,
    Evidently, that pro has very low standards for a studio shoot. Only details are near the edges. The crotch area of the shorts has no "details".

This is no different than "Hot"'s posts, only has a different direction, in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Vivek,
    On my monitor...there is details all over and tone separation. I just think the image is bad and the eye travel does not flow at all..but
    there's details on my Calibrated Mac...
    shooter

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    Vivek,
    On my monitor...there is details all over and tone separation. I just think the image is bad and the eye travel does not flow at all..but
    there's details on my Calibrated Mac...
    shooter
    Agreed Streetshooter - my Mac 17in MacBook screen also shows lots of details and tones in the black shorts.

Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Vivek - for what it's worth, I can see detail as well.

However, I wouldn't personally choose the E-P1 for studio work. And I don't think it would have any technical edge over the G1, but it might have a more relaxing effect on the model (like the difference between an M8 and a DSLR).

Regarding the "hot" posts, I do see a difference here. This poster was not trying to put down any other camera - simply making some observations about situations/ways they could use the E-P1. I viewed the "hot" posts as mocking other people's camera choice. I may have totally misinterpreted them (that's easy to do when reading text), but that's how they came across to me.
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The only reason I posted my friend's comments and photo, is that he's coming from the full frame Canon world. He uses a 1ds Mk II and a 5D Mk II, and all sorts of high priced (huge) fast L lenses. It speaks very well about the E-P1 for him to react positively about the performance.

Post Thanks / Like

He uses a 1ds Mk II and a 5D Mk II, and all sorts of high priced (huge) fast L lenses. It speaks very well about the E-P1 for him to react positively about the performance.
    That's just heresy. Next thing someone will say that Pentax actually makes a decent camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ROTFLMAO... Oh, you're bad...
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nostatic!

I switched to another monitor (yet another temporary one, the "good one" is yet to come) and still there is no "shadow" detail to be found in the said area.
    Wherever it was lit, there is detail.

(I am unsure if the shorts show as true black- but that could be just my monitor but PS black dropper does suggest that it isn't all that black.)

Post Thanks / Like

Clearly we need more shots as reference. Since there seems to be a main point of contention can we get some of the model without the shorts?

(apologies to our female members )

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Clearly we need more shots as reference. Since there seems to be a main point of contention can we get some of the model without the shorts?

(apologies to our female members )
    He means well, but his typing speed is faster than his brain

What he meant to say is, could we get some pictures of the shorts without the model - that way we could be objective, and help solve Vivek's monitor problem

Keith

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Like Mike said, there isn't much of a difference between the G1 and the E-P1 when in comes to shadow details/noise. The G1 files are very good but are easily bettered by even Nikon D40x'. Dropping names like Canon 1Ds and 5D is quite similar to LL making a comparison between medium format digital backs to Leica M8.

Besides, why would a professional model surrounded by studio lights and is paid to pose be intimidated by a camera?

Here is a shot through G1 and some lens. The major benefit is the swivel LCD screen (absent in E-P1) that allows for proper framing/focus. Since the my body and hand is surrounding the LCD screen in 2 directions it is easy to view the image even in bright light (in worst case scenario there is always the EVF- again not present in an E-P1).

Most of the subjects are not even aware of the G1 like in this instance (unintended self portrait as well).

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Vivek, I'm at a loss as to why you would discount my friend's comments to be of no value. He likes the camera, he is pleased with the images, that's all the counts, right? Nowhere did he say the E-P1 produced images the same quality as the Canons, so your medium format vs. M8 comment really is misplaced.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Campbell View Post
    'Turn on' the CA correction? -- you don't mean some sort of automatic correction, surely? Or have I missed something?
    Robert, in LR you need to go to Details and CA correction. You can correct with sliders--but if that doesn't work (and actually I forgot to even pay much attention to CA so didn't do either--it was late), you need to select something rather than 'off---I find 'all edges' works very well--and you have to choose that or 'highlight edges'. I wasn't very clear. I almost always use one or the other--so have to 'turn on' one of the 2 options plus use the sliders. Sometimes it works fine without sliders by choosing one or the other--depends upon how bad the CA is.

Diane
    Last edited by Diane B; 25th July 2009 at 15:36.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Diane -- that's what I thought you were getting at, but I wasn't sure.
    Sláinte

Robert.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Vivek, I'm at a loss as to why you would discount my friend's comments to be of no value. He likes the camera, he is pleased with the images, that's all the counts, right? Nowhere did he say the E-P1 produced images the same quality as the Canons, so your medium format vs. M8 comment really is misplaced.

Robert
    Hi Robert,

Those thoughts were from a friend of mine who uses a Canon 5D for casual snaps and street and other cams for other purposes.

If you want to discuss your take on a camera, I would not think about LL and make any such comparisons at all.

Oh, yeah. You should be pleased with the outcome that is the bottomline.

My friend deems the E-P1 to be of not much use. He and I agree that it is one cute camera.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is a different form factor and a different way of shooting. Trying to do a direct comparison to a dSLR won't get you very far.

fwiw I have a dSLR and vastly prefer the EP1 to the G1. The G1 is essentially trying to imitate a dSLR. The EP1 isn't. And spec sheets rarely tell the whole story. My g/f loves her G1. I hate it.

But that is the beauty of the marketplace. Buy and use what makes you happy.
    I'm with nostatic here Vivek - it takes a considerable rethink of how you shoot to make the most of it, but when you do - then it's great. The G1 didn't press my button either, but the pen certainly does, but not if I try and shoot it like any other camera.

As far as I'm concerned the LCD on the pen is just a framing device and a means of getting absolute focus - I'll normally be looking at the subject and glancing at the LCD. The G1 hinges around the use of the EVF, which might be better quality than the LCD on the E-P1, but is still pretty iffy (to me that is).

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Absolutely, no conflicts there, Jono. The folks here who are delighted with the E-P1, I am very happy for them and I enjoy seeing that delight shown through many lovely pictures being shown here.

Let me add here that I plunged into the G1 without much expectations, it took me a while to work with the files (still could improve) but the EVF and the swivel LCD changed the way I shoot. So, instead being a novelty camera (that was the original idea), it has become the street cam for me. Without those doodahs (I do not like the looks or even the form factor of the G1), what Oly did when they raised the blanket was an utter disappointment. I am eagerly awaiting the E-P2 to put those pen F lenses to use on it (or them- I might get a few).
    Last edited by Vivek; 26th July 2009 at 03:59.

Post Thanks / Like

I was very disappointed by E-P1 .. perhaps Pana makes "the better E-P1"

If not .. I've my GH1 :-)

For under € 500 (with 100 € promotion discount) you get a G1 + 14-45 .. wow!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This reminds me of a raging debate I saw on another forum about which was better: the Canon 5D or the Leica M8. That debate raged for months, and got quite nasty, with many folks getting 'religious' about their choice.

I thought that whole debate was quite silly, since I owned and used both cameras regularly. After all, these are just tools, and we each pick the one that best serves our purpose and shooting style, right? I can certainly see how the G1 would serve a certain shooting style much better than the E-P1, and vice-versa.

hot - I'm with you - I hope that Pana makes a better E-P1. I hope both Oly and Pana continue to evolve and refine the theme of the E-P1, because I like that form factor and shooting style.
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree that is is a silly debate--as was the 5D vs. the M8. Glad I missed that one LOL.

I'm trying to get my head around Jono's shooting style. I think I understand it--and its not really realistic with the G1 because the EVF overhangs the LCD at that angle making it a bit harder to try (that is with the LCD just flipped over on the back--not out to the side and tilted). So--got out my old G9 and tried (and interestingly enough--or not--shooting the same shot inside with both--there's no doubt the m43/rds sensors are SOOOOOO much better than the P & S--DR wise, etc.--maybe the G10 is that much better than the G9, but still....).

I'm thinking that the LCD on the Pen must be better optimized for that ability to shoot at different angles because the G9 was difficult to really see at the lower/fore angle that I think Jono is describing--and it has a very good LCD. Consequently (when I tried the Pen, it was raining so I didn't take it outside to try--and I was more interested in trying MF lenses with adaptors than anything else), I imagine that the Pen is quite nice for street shooting (and for things like riding, as Jono was--or just a very slim cam in a very small bag on a belt--just in case). As it is--that rarely comes up for me due to both shooting style, preference in subjects--and where and how I live day to day. For Jono's idea of shooting macros--not difficult to shoot with G1's LCD flat on back like the Pen, so that's a wash on the two from that standpoint.

I think, for those that like the 4/3rds sensor, want smaller and a VF AND can afford both, it would be a great pair. I'm still thinking I will likely buy an evolution of the Pen style from one of the mfg. down the road as I'm finding that the 4/3rds sensor works for me for a lot of my shooting these days--and the 5D, while I love output, just gets left at home quite a lot.

Diane
    Last edited by Diane B; 26th July 2009 at 08:38.