The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Selling G1 getting E-P1, a Good Decision?

hot

Hehe, I've G1 AND GH1 and would not change for all money of this world against "a toy" like E-P1 :D :p

Or "M8" -Not every camera needs EVF/ArticulatedDisplay/etc...
The M8 has an excellent view/rangefinder that allows precise focusing. Try to manually focus, judge colors or composition on the low resolution LCD of the E-P1, particularly in bright sunlight. The absence of a VF - be it electronic or optical - classifies it as a very good looking, very expensive P/S camera.:thumbdown:

Last edited:

nostatic

The M8 has an excellent view/rangefinder that allows precise focusing. Try to manually focus, judge colors or composition on the low resolution LCD of the E-P1, particularly in bright sunlight. The absence of a VF - be it electronic or optical - classifies it as a very good looking, very expensive P/S camera.:thumbdown:
I wasn't dissing the M8 - I get that camera.

I was pointing out that lack of an OVF/EVF doesn't make it a joke. Some people actually prefer to frame with LCD.

And some of my best photos have been taken with a p&s...

And some of my best photos have been taken with a p&s...
I have taken very good pictures with a P/S, too. IMHO the E-P1 is highly overpriced for a P/S and not very pocketable, especially with the zoom lens. It looks great, though, and might be a good conversation piece.

nostatic

I have taken very good pictures with a P/S, too. IMHO the E-P1 is highly overpriced for a P/S and not very pocketable, especially with the zoom lens. It looks great, though, and might be a good conversation piece.
Well, some would disagree. I find that the files from the E-P1 are much better than a p&s, though not as clean as out of my K20d. Which is exactly what I would expect given the sensor size. I like the look of the noise, and the camera is very unobtrusive in use. I agree it is not pocketable, but neither is an M8. I consider the DLux4 barely a pocket camera, and in fact I usually carry it in a small form fitting bag with shoulder strap or just carry it by hand. I do carry the E-P1 by hand as well. And I infinitely prefer the E-P1 to G1 - that is a camera that is just not comfortable for me to handle (to small for my hands) and I hate the look of the EVF.

The E-P1 gives a different look than either my DLux4 or K20d. I find it to be much more than a conversation piece, but as they say in the car biz, "there's a butt for every seat."

RichA

I decided to sell my G1 and purchase an E-P1. I hate giving up the EVF and faster AF (from what I read); however, every time I try and take it to a social event my wife complains that the camera is too big and it embarrasses her if I take it out to take pictures
Embarrasses? Why? I'd go with a Panasonic LX3 since the E-P1 is no smaller than the G1, it just lacks the prism overhang and the grip.

Brian Mosley

I am in fact playing with the idea of getting a DLUX 4 or the corresponding Pana. With your experience of both cameras, what is speaking in favor of the E-P1?
Hi Peter,

in terms of build quality / heft, if you think of the Panasonic LX3 as a slightly larger FX01, and the Olympus E-P1 as a slightly smaller M8 you'll be in the right ballpark.

The E-P1 is probably more configurable (with the associated learning curve if you want to set everything to your personal preference) than any of the cameras you currently own.

Keep your D700 as a backup for fast action though :ROTFL:

Kind Regards

Brian

hot

I think E-P1 is a (nineteenth) milestone in mFT, a nice camera - but for ME a overpriced toy. For pocket (aaaand 1280x720 movie) I have a Samsung WB500 with 10x zoom for 1/4 price of E-P1. And it IS pocketable! Hehe, has flash :) !

I think Olympus is not sooooo happy with its 5-to-12 finished camera. Pana will make it better :))))

V

Vivek

E-P1 is the low end deal for a m4/3rds camera. No future cam can be this featureless, lack functions/usefulness and be priced like this (or may be Olympus will prove that wrong?! Next time they show something under the blankets...).

So, I am happy it is done with, in a way.:)

monza

The EP1, like nearly any digital camera, can be a P&S, but no P&S will ever match the IQ of an EP1. The sensors are just too miniscule.

No camera is for everyone. I'm glad the EP1 is here as it brought along the 17mm with it, for my G1.;)

V

Vivek

I will have to see if the 17/2.8 is worth it. I have a hood and all kinds accs ready and waiting for it..