Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Selling G1 getting E-P1, a Good Decision?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Selling G1 getting E-P1, a Good Decision?

I decided to sell my G1 and purchase an E-P1. I hate giving up the EVF and faster AF (from what I read); however, every time I try and take it to a social event my wife complains that the camera is too big and it embarrasses her if I take it out to take pictures (imagine how she would react to a real DSLR). I am hoping the E-P1 is sufficiently smaller (at least from a perception standpoint) that she won't object. She is OK with our various P&S cameras. What do those of you with E-P1s think? I should get a white one tomorrow with a 17mm lens thanks to Monza. I hope that the white will make it seem less like a big hunking DSLR and look to her more like a discreet P&S about the size of the G7 we have.

Anyone wanting a good deal on a black G1 in like new condition with all the original items, box etc. feel free to PM me. I also have the 45-200 lens available.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Selling G1 getting E-P1, a Good Decision?

no comment...

Senior Subscriber Member Mike Hatam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I did the same thing, and don't regret it at all. If you've used and like the M8, then I think you'll enjoy the E-P1, as it has a similar 'feel' to it.

For some, the EVF is critical, and for them, the E-P1 is not a good answer. For me, the other advantage of the E-P1 outweigh the need for an EVF, and I'm quite happy with E-P1.
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the feedback Mike. I have owned the M8 and constantly wished Leica had come out with a digital CL as I also owned a CL and loved the camera. I always thought it was a perfect size to carry around and yet get high quality images. Of course, if they could get a FF DSLR like the old Oly OM series I would jump on it too. The G1 is a great little camera but just a tad too obtrusive for my usage.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

YB, if you think not feel free to say so it won't hurt my feelings.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like

John,

Would an additional P/S not be a better solution? Even a second hand FX01 or similar might give good enough results at social events. See here some examples of what they are capable of.

Cheers
    Peter
    Peter Werner
    Leica M8, R9+DMR & Digilux 2; Nikon D700; Panasonic FX01, FX150 & G1; Samsung TL350 (WB 2000)

Post Thanks / Like

john... my "bright ideas" and gear choices have often been the source of embassment for my significant others... "Like you [email protected]'t take him anywhere"...that said, The EP 1 might just fit your shooting style with out too much compromise.

regards, Hudson

Post Thanks / Like

Why every man on earth has to ask his wife before buying a thing?
    IMO, I will buy one more, and keep the G1 as a backup. Although G1 looks
    bulky, the flip monitor is still unbeatable in some critical situation where ever at low and high angle.

I own G1, and tried E-P1 too. What I think is the user interface is not ease of use as G1 and also the LCD resolution is a little bit dragging my leg to go on it.

I just wonder, if one day E-P1 and GH1 has another advance models with fullHD video @ 120 fps, I will wait till that day to replace my G1. The only reason of E-P1 are styling, HD movie and image stabilizer.
    Last edited by pentacon6; 17th July 2009 at 05:08.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

John, can you hold off on selling your G1 and wait until you give the E-P1 a good test to decide? I just got my G1 and absolutely love it, would sorely miss the EVF and the articulated LCD.

My husband and son are like your wife ... they get freaked out if I take ANY camera into a social setting and try to take pictures. I have been trying to convert them to my way of thinking - that the slight embarrassment they might feel at the moment will be replaced by the great memories those pictures will preserve for years to come. So far I haven't really convinced them, stubborn pair of ....
    Regards,
    Joan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

John,

I have only has the E-p1 less than a day but I can easily see me taking it to events I would not have brought my other cameras to. It just looks so less intimidating in real life.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have to admit the wives and in Jean's case husband and son can be a pain about these issues. My wife doesn't mind if it is discrete like a P&S but I don't like the poor image quality of higher ISO on P&Ss and the deer in the headlights look from the tiny flashes. I have a Canon G7 and an Olympus Stylus Tough 6000 and the IQ just isn't there. I have also owned the Leica DL3 and it didn't have sufficient IQ. The G7 has significant noise even at low ISO and it is very visible when printed above 8x10. I like to print large images up to 13x19 and if there is a lot of noise present I don't like the look.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I can tolerate the poor IQ of the Stylus Tough because I use it in the water and at the beach where I wouldn't want to risk a more expensive camera that was not water proof. I just wish it had better image quality. Perhaps the new Pentax waterproof camera will finally offer a waterproof camera with at least decent IQ.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi John,

I know exactly where you're coming from on this, and now that I have the E-P1 I can confirm it works so much better than a camera with eye level viewfinder.

You'll love it! except for the CDAF focusing, which lags some way behind the G1 in terms of speed and sophistication. I am sure that Olympus are ploughing time and money into improving their CDAF performance right now. I expect a number of firmware upgrades.

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The stories of slow focusing concern me but then the Canon G7 and the Oly Tough 6000 are really slow.
    V/r John

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is a shame Panasonic hasn't released the 20mm prime lens yet, as I think that smaller lens will make the camera much less awkward. Right now it feels like a miniature Digital Rebel but with a smaller prime lens it will feel more Leica-like and jacket-pocketable.

I just saw speculative renderings of a "Pany LX-5" that looks to have a removable EVF -- the best of both worlds. I really like the G1 EVF now though, to me it is better than the APS DSLR optical viewfinders in real world use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm not sure a removable EVF is as good an option as a built in one. They could put the viewfinder and electronics off to the left (as seen from the back) ala Leica VF. But provide equal to or better than current G1 EVF resolution.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like

Buying the ep1 is a good decision. Whether selling the G1 an equally good one, I'm not so sure about. Both have a lot going for them.
    With the 17mm, the EP1 is coat pocketable, DR seems to be slightly better, compact, lightweight yet sturdy design (feels like a premium product), form and size just feel right. The G1 offers EVF, tilt screen, focuses faster. I prefer EVF over lcd focusing with longer/heavier lenses and also believe the G1 form allows to handle larger lenses easier.
    An alternative could be to buy the EP1 with the pancake only, keep the G1 and use its kit zoom on the EP1 as well. I prefer the Pana kit zoom over the Oly's, not only because of slightly longer reach. The Oly 14-42 is a somewhat akward, wobbly feeling construction, extending quite a bit when used. And there seems to be no straight forward solution to use it with filter and hood.
    I presently have both cameras and had thoughts of selling the G1, but considering how low prices have come down, I might simply keep it.
    Just my 2cents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just received the E-P1 and I need to do some playing and shooting to see how well it works for me. The body certainly feels solid and the 17mm pancake is small. I will post more later after i have had more time with it.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    It is a shame Panasonic hasn't released the 20mm prime lens yet, as I think that smaller lens will make the camera much less awkward. Right now it feels like a miniature Digital Rebel but with a smaller prime lens it will feel more Leica-like and jacket-pocketable.
    I can say that a pancake def. makes the G1 quite jacket pocketable. I bought the Oly 17 f/2.8 to use through the Summer (until the 20 appears) for just that purpose, though for now I'm sticking it in a small handbag when I only want to carry it without a photographic purpose. The pancake barely protrudes past the grip--nice compact package.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I also have the Minolta (Leica) 40/2 and it works very nicely as a very compact package and gives me that extra f-stop.
    V/r John

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The 40/2 is actually 3 stops faster than the kit zoom at that focal length.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I meant faster than the 17mm
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Those that PMed me on the 45-200mm, it is sold. The camera is still available at a good price.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like

Hehe, I've G1 AND GH1 and would not change for all money of this world against "a toy" like E-P1

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hot View Post
    Hehe, I've G1 AND GH1 and would not change for all money of this world against "a toy" like E-P1
    The E-P1 is the perfect companion to the G1 - let us know when you buy it!

Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I purchased the E-P1 from Monza and I am still learning its ways. I sure like the size.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woodmancy View Post
    The E-P1 is the perfect companion to the G1 - let us know when you buy it!
    Haha, a camera without articulating display, without EVF, without flash .... - that is named "JOKE-P1" !

Post Thanks / Like

Haha, a camera without articulating display, without EVF, without flash .... - that is named "JOKE-P1" !
    Or "M8"

Not every camera needs EVF/ArticulatedDisplay/etc...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    Or "M8" -Not every camera needs EVF/ArticulatedDisplay/etc...
    The M8 has an excellent view/rangefinder that allows precise focusing. Try to manually focus, judge colors or composition on the low resolution LCD of the E-P1, particularly in bright sunlight. The absence of a VF - be it electronic or optical - classifies it as a very good looking, very expensive P/S camera.
    Last edited by petermcwerner; 22nd July 2009 at 22:39.
    Peter Werner
    Leica M8, R9+DMR & Digilux 2; Nikon D700; Panasonic FX01, FX150 & G1; Samsung TL350 (WB 2000)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by petermcwerner View Post
    The M8 has an excellent view/rangefinder that allows precise focusing. Try to manually focus, judge colors or composition on the low resolution LCD of the E-P1, particularly in bright sunlight. The absence of a VF - be it electronic or optical - classifies it as a very good looking, very expensive P/S camera.
    I wasn't dissing the M8 - I get that camera.

I was pointing out that lack of an OVF/EVF doesn't make it a joke. Some people actually prefer to frame with LCD.

And some of my best photos have been taken with a p&s...

Post Thanks / Like

And some of my best photos have been taken with a p&s...
    I have taken very good pictures with a P/S, too. IMHO the E-P1 is highly overpriced for a P/S and not very pocketable, especially with the zoom lens. It looks great, though, and might be a good conversation piece.
    Peter Werner

Post Thanks / Like

I have taken very good pictures with a P/S, too. IMHO the E-P1 is highly overpriced for a P/S and not very pocketable, especially with the zoom lens. It looks great, though, and might be a good conversation piece.
    Well, some would disagree. I find that the files from the E-P1 are much better than a p&s, though not as clean as out of my K20d. Which is exactly what I would expect given the sensor size. I like the look of the noise, and the camera is very unobtrusive in use. I agree it is not pocketable, but neither is an M8. I consider the DLux4 barely a pocket camera, and in fact I usually carry it in a small form fitting bag with shoulder strap or just carry it by hand. I do carry the E-P1 by hand as well. And I infinitely prefer the E-P1 to G1 - that is a camera that is just not comfortable for me to handle (to small for my hands) and I hate the look of the EVF.

The E-P1 gives a different look than either my DLux4 or K20d. I find it to be much more than a conversation piece, but as they say in the car biz, "there's a butt for every seat."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barjohn View Post
    I decided to sell my G1 and purchase an E-P1. I hate giving up the EVF and faster AF (from what I read); however, every time I try and take it to a social event my wife complains that the camera is too big and it embarrasses her if I take it out to take pictures
    Embarrasses? Why? I'd go with a Panasonic LX3 since the E-P1 is no smaller than the G1, it just lacks the prism overhang and the grip.

Post Thanks / Like

The E-P1 gives a different look than either my DLux4
    I am in fact playing with the idea of getting a DLUX 4 or the corresponding Pana. With your experience of both cameras, what is speaking in favor of the E-P1?
    Peter Werner

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am in fact playing with the idea of getting a DLUX 4 or the corresponding Pana. With your experience of both cameras, what is speaking in favor of the E-P1?
    Hi Peter,

in terms of build quality / heft, if you think of the Panasonic LX3 as a slightly larger FX01, and the Olympus E-P1 as a slightly smaller M8 you'll be in the right ballpark.

The E-P1 is probably more configurable (with the associated learning curve if you want to set everything to your personal preference) than any of the cameras you currently own.

Keep your D700 as a backup for fast action though

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

DLUX 4... 24mm (35 equilivant) @ f/2.0...that you can put in your pocket... micro 4/3 E Pee 1 isn't going to do that

Post Thanks / Like

I think E-P1 is a (nineteenth) milestone in mFT, a nice camera - but for ME a overpriced toy. For pocket (aaaand 1280x720 movie) I have a Samsung WB500 with 10x zoom for 1/4 price of E-P1. And it IS pocketable! Hehe, has flash :-) !

I think Olympus is not sooooo happy with its 5-to-12 finished camera. Pana will make it better :-))))

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

E-P1 is the low end deal for a m4/3rds camera. No future cam can be this featureless, lack functions/usefulness and be priced like this (or may be Olympus will prove that wrong?! Next time they show something under the blankets...).

So, I am happy it is done with, in a way.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The EP1, like nearly any digital camera, can be a P&S, but no P&S will ever match the IQ of an EP1. The sensors are just too miniscule.

No camera is for everyone. I'm glad the EP1 is here as it brought along the 17mm with it, for my G1.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I will have to see if the 17/2.8 is worth it. I have a hood and all kinds accs ready and waiting for it..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    it brought along the 17mm with it, for my G1.
    Monza, Vivek,

I have been playing with the idea of buying the 17mm alone to use on the G1. What is your experience with this combination?

Cheers
    Peter
    Peter Werner

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter, No experience. My lens is still with the customs. When it reaches me, I will let you know.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Must you "mock" people's choices. Obviously we understand that is not your own preference but big red letters screaming out isn't really necessary. I have both the G1 and the E-P1 both have their pluses and minuses. As an all around camera I think the G1 is better executed. However, there is some pull that has me wanting to pick up the E-P1 and use it. Sitting in Iceland on a landscape workshop, I used the E-P1 around town in Reykjavik and on the first day out in the country. It has been in the hotel room ever since and the G1 is being used along side the Sony.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't say whether or not it's a good decision for you. I will say I have no plans to get a EP-1. As much as I love Olympus colors I hate the contrast and DR of their blacks as they just doesn't seem to be enough detail or darkness to them most of the time IMO. I guess it could be "fixed" in PP but all in all I like the IQ of the G1 better as I NEVER shoot JPEG ever. It makes me glad I didn't wait on the EP-1.

I'm looking forward to the assumed smaller body Micro 4/3 camera from Panasonic (I'd really like a second G1 body but they don't sell them body only yet) but it would have to retain or improve certain features of the G1. I would like an updated sensor but it MUST have a high resolution articulating LCD (like the G1) and some type of EVF would be nice as well. I would be satisfied if it was just a G1 in a smaller body to be honest. A Leica body made of magnesium or aluminum would be really sweet though too while I'm throwing out "wishlists" though.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    E-P1 is the low end deal for a m4/3rds camera. No future cam can be this featureless, lack functions/usefulness and be priced like this (or may be Olympus will prove that wrong?! Next time they show something under the blankets...).

So, I am happy it is done with, in a way.
    Vivek, I'm sure we must be talking about different cameras... could you please expand on which features/functions/usefulness you feel are missing?

This is the most feature rich camera I've ever used, has a high quality build and delivers superb IQ... I'm baffled by your assessment. Have you actually used one?

Kind Regards

Brian

nei1

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Must you "mock" people's choices. Obviously we understand that is not your own preference but big red letters screaming out isn't really necessary. I have both the G1 and the E-P1 both have their pluses and minuses. As an all around camera I think the G1 is better executed. However, there is some pull that has me wanting to pick up the E-P1 and use it. Sitting in Iceland on a landscape workshop, I used the E-P1 around town in Reykjavik and on the first day out in the country. It has been in the hotel room ever since and the G1 is being used along side the Sony.
    I think it was just a JOKE terry,lighten up,some of you americans take yourselves tOOseriously............best to you...Neil

Post Thanks / Like

Monza, Vivek,

I have been playing with the idea of buying the 17mm alone to use on the G1. What is your experience with this combination?

Cheers
    Peter
    There is a thread in this forum (look for thread header with 17 f/2.8 in name) with shots I took first day with the 17 on the G1--or you can go here--there are quite a lot of shots of the 17 on the G1. I like it very much--makes the G1 quite a small package, very few cons I can find. I shoot in RAW so any CA is dealt with (if I turn it on in LR--which I forgot to do in first shot in gallery LOL--Vivek pointed it out).

start here--a number of 17 shots
    http://www.pbase.com/picnic/image/115045910

Post Thanks / Like

They both have pluses and minuses. The DLux4 is the best small sensor camera I've ever seen. 24-60mm at 2.0-2.8. That is fast. The colors are very nice coming straight out of the camera and it is a low-light champ. Plus it is easy to carry - I almost always have it, and when I shoot on-location with my K20d I have it as my "wide" snapper.

That being said, if you pixel peep or print large, you'll be able to get a "better" file out of the E-P1. Physics is physics - there is no way that the small sensor can get the resolution that the u4/3 does. Plus it just draws differently.

With the EP1 you can swap lenses. With the DLux4, 60mm can come up pretty quickly. Being able to put a small RF fast 50 on the EP1 gives you 100mm FOV, and the Panny 45-200 zoom (with intact AF) gives you very long range. DLux4 can't do that.

They are just different cameras. The files look different, and they serve different purposes. I wanted a "street camera" that was unobtrusive but would still give me a file that I could radically crop and/or print 24x36. With the DLux4 I have printed 24x36 and it holds up - but not if I've cropped it. The extra resolution gives me more flexibility while still being in a camera that doesn't make people think, "oh why is that big zoom lens pointing at me?"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nei1 View Post
    I think it was just a
    Quote Originally Posted by nei1 View Post
    JOKE terry,lighten up,some of you americans take yourselves tOOseriously

Neil,
    Please stop disturbing the other members, American or from other parts of the world; it is just a matter of respect and do not be racist on top of insulting

Peter Werner

nei1

Neil,
    Please stop disturbing the other members, American or from other parts of the world; it is just a matter of respect and do not be racist on top of insulting

Its just a joke,really some of you swiss take yourselves too seriously,lighten up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!best to you,..........Neil.