The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EP-1 low light AF

G

Gakuranman

Hi all. Apologies in advance for a negative first post, but I would really like some advice on this matter - I just stumbled across this review:

http://reviews.davidleetong.com/?p=1189#more-1189

The videos show appalling low-light AF performance from the EP-1 with the kit lens. I need to take a lot of pictures in low-light to black (I like industrial photography) and this would be unusable.

I currently use a GX-100, which has an AF assist light and manages okay.

Perhaps somebody can reassure me? I already bought the EP-1 and was set to pick it up in less than a month's time. Is there any way around this terrible low-light focusing problem? Does the pancake lens focus without a hitch?

G

Gakuranman

Hi Nostatic. Thanks for your demo shots, they look great!:)

I wonder though how it fares in even lower light? I'm thinking about scenes that have very little to no ambient light, light a dark street alleyway with faint moonlight and such. What was the light like in the last shot? Candlelight? Street light from outside?

Perhaps I'm asking too much of the camera and a passive AF assist would be necessary in those situations?

jonoslack

Hi Nostatic. Thanks for your demo shots, they look great!:)

I wonder though how it fares in even lower light? I'm thinking about scenes that have very little to no ambient light, light a dark street alleyway with faint moonlight and such. What was the light like in the last shot? Candlelight? Street light from outside?

Perhaps I'm asking too much of the camera and a passive AF assist would be necessary in those situations?
Don't you think you should be buying a D700?

Stuart Richardson

Why would you shoot in the dark with a f/3.5-5.6 zoom? Anyway, I just got my EP-1 today, and previously I was using a GX-100. It is MUCH better in terms of focusing, ISO performance and so on. I just tried in my kitchen with the lights out, and it seems to focus on objects with some degree of contrast. If there is no contrast, it will not work, but honestly, it was better than I expected.
But I will say if you truly need to work in the dark, something like the D700/D3 or 5dII and f/1.4 lenses will do the job so much better.

G

Gakuranman

Thanks all :)

If I could fit a D700 in my pocket and somehow find that sort of cash, of course. But then, that's never going to happen.

When exploring ruins and such, I need a highly portable kit - that's the overriding factor for me. I have been using my GX100 to much success with a tripod in the dark, but I grew tired of the lack of shallow DOF manipulation with my Ricoh and of course, the lens isn't great for low light shooting. Love the control system though!

But that's great to know you had some success Stuart, especially coming from a GX-100 user :). I plan to try some MF lenses on the EP-1 - already grabbed on OM 50mm 1.8 ready.