Site Sponsors

Thread: Fabulous colors with E-P1...do you agree?

Post Thanks / Like

Fabulous colors with E-P1...do you agree?

I've been using Canon DSLR's for years now, and just this last week have been using something different, the E-P1 (as you all have noticed with my many posts here). One thing has really been awesome--the colors! I have been wrestling forever with my Canon shots to get good, accurate, "alive" colors. I don't seem to get what I want, even with post processing. I'm sure I could be more skilled in Photoshop, but I think the camera should make it easier than that. What I am seeing from in my shots and those others are posing is colors that are so rich and alive, without appearing overly saturated. Not having been following other cameras myself, is this something that has been obvious to others? I would bet it's not just the E-P1, either. At any rate, I am just loving this camera. Give it an optical viewfinder, cut down the shutter lag, and revise the interface...perfection. In the mean while, I'm enjoying it as is.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fabulous colors with E-P1...do you agree?

Yes, shots with the E-P1 and ARGB color have a certain vibrant color to them I don't see in Canon or Nikon DSLRs by default. I have some test shots here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bcaslis...103635/detail/ . The 3x2 format ones are JPEGs from the camera, the 4x3 ones are RAW processed with the Olympus software. I do really wish the E-P1 had an EVF, I really hate using the LCD.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually I am rather smitten by the noise. I find it to provide a very nice grain - at high iso I get good sharpness mixed with grit.

Post Thanks / Like

I do like the colors from the E-P1, and sometimes the more vibrant colors in the pinhole art filter. If you want great colors with a DSLR (I use the Nikon D700), I strongly suggest checking out the Alien Skin Exposure 2 Photshop plugin, which emulates various film looks. Whenever I think I am happy with the shot in Lightroom, I bring it into Photoshop, apply an Exposure 2 film setting like Astia, and am really surprised by how much more vibrant, yet natural, the results are. It's really worth checking out a demo - IMHO it's the best plugin after Nik Silver Efx.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes
    Olympus colours always seem effortless (like the A900 colours). I still think it's because they do less 'processing' with the raw file, and that the downside is less good high ISO and more grain (but it's hardly a hardship).

Glad you're enjoying it.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. And these really are this color

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    Yes. And these really are this color

We have one of those - and yep, colours are right, a difficult one to get right as well.

Just this guy you know

Senior Subscriber Member Mike Hatam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Agreed!
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100