The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Another Adapter Question

B

Burningalive

Does anyone have an opinion on which adapter would be better for the E-P1?
I have a 50mm 1.8 and a 80 to 200mm (Cheap) Canon EOS lens. I also have a manual Canon FD 50mm 1.8 lens. I'm leaning towards getting the EOS to m4/3 adapter. What do you think?

Diane B

You can't change aperture on the EOS/EF lenses with the adaptor. Its wide open or nothing--unless you change the aperture normally on an EOS body, hold down the DOF preview while dismounting. Then that aperture can be used on the m4/3ds--but not changed unless you mount it to EOS again. With the FD adaptor, you change the aperture normally with the aperture ring and shoot in A. Works like a charm. I have a number of shots in my G1/FD gallery with the FD 50 f/1.8--
look through here--all FD shots with 4 FD lenses http://www.pbase.com/picnic/fd_gallery

and here are a couple with the EOS adaptor and the EF 50 f/1.4
http://www.pbase.com/picnic/image/114761394 and 2 more after this.

I'd recommend an FD adaptor (several available)--you'll have a lot more flexibility with the lens than the EF.

Diane

B

Burningalive

Thank you for the response and the sample photo's! I will go with the FD adapter, do you recommend any in perticular? Im looking at the one from jinfinance on ebay.

Diane B

I have the Cameraquest/Rayqual adaptor because it was the first available, but would likely buy the RJ/jinfinance today. I have the jinfinance EOS adaptor and its well made, lenses fit secure and I'm completely satisfied with it. Pellicle's review is good.

Diane

pellicle

but would likely buy the RJ/jinfinance today.
and it makes mounting and un mounting lenses (especially with extension tubes) just that bit easier (as long as you remember to engage and disengage the stop down thinggy ring

:)

I'm thinking though that this is where OM lenses (with the engagement pin removed) will have an advantage. For example when doing focus on the move on subjects like this:

I get more snappy responce from my view finder and (as long as I'm nimble with that DoF stop-down button can get focus within a bees wisker and then hit the stop down button just before I take.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the RJCamera adaptor :)