The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

c mount lenses

P

PeterLeyssens

Hi,

I've been browsing around on the most famous auction site for c mount lenses since I've seen some photos with them here on this forum. There seems to be a very impressive selection of lenses available at fairly okay cost. But the range is so wide that I have the impression that I'm not the only one confused here.

I found the great compatibility spreadsheet at http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p9kkgjwEQQQ-HJwvNDobeEw and that's what I consult when I'm thinking about buying a lens or not. But there's several lenses that seem quite common that aren't on that list yet. Specifically, I'm looking at an Angenieux 10mm f1.8. Other lenses have rather cryptic or incomplete data.

I don't want to criticize whoever is maintaining the list, because as I said, it has already been a very good resource in my hunt for the perfect set of lenses for my soon-to-be-ordered E-P1. I'm just wondering how we can make it better. So, first of all: who maintains it, and who do we mail our test results to ? How do we measure the coverage ?

And, also important, would it be possible to make this a sticky ? Possibly, we might want to add general notes about other lens systems (e.g. Pen F lenses: all work perfectly (if that's the case)).

I'm a great fan of this forum and the amount of knowledge that is circling around. I'm hoping that we can even improve on this if we add to the great lens compatibility list as it is now. If necessary, I can make some time to help.

Thanks,

Peter.

V

Vivek

PM Robert ("monza"). He keeps that list. If you have a website, you can put up a page or two collating all the info from this forum.

RichA

People should be aware that few if any of the lenses will work with the E-P1 or the G1. Not because of image circle coverage, but because of mounting the lenses. The c lens mount adapters available are countersunk to allow for infinity focus. The back flange of whatever lens you use must fit that countersink. Most auctions do not list the diameter or configuration of the back of the lens so you take your chances that it'll fit.

apicius9

People should be aware that few if any of the lenses will work with the E-P1 or the G1. Not because of image circle coverage, but because of mounting the lenses. The c lens mount adapters available are countersunk to allow for infinity focus. The back flange of whatever lens you use must fit that countersink. Most auctions do not list the diameter or configuration of the back of the lens so you take your chances that it'll fit.
The fitting issue is correct, but in my experience most lenses fit and this is really more the exception. But in any case, it's great to have the spreadsheet available that summarizes all our experiences with these lenses.

Stefan

P

PeterLeyssens

PM Robert ("monza"). He keeps that list. If you have a website, you can put up a page or two collating all the info from this forum.
Hi Vivek,

I was thinking of starting some kind of website anyway, so I'll see what I can do. The trouble is that the info on the forum has gotten quite scattered, e.g. the 60 page thread with pictures from various exotic lenses. But it'd be good to have a consolidated info base.

No promises, but I'll see if I can make some time for it.

BTW, I'm looking to buy some c mount lenses (if that wasn' t clear ;) ), but most of them on the auction site seem to be monopolized by a seller in the Czech republic and another one in Poland. Did they buy everything to resell it with a high profit ? What makes it worse: both offer it with the new buy-it-now-or-best-offer system, which I consider to be extremely intransparent. I prefer the regular auctions where at least I can see what has been proposed, but they seem rare these days. All in all, looking for these c-mount lenses is much more frustrating than when I was looking for other lenses before. :thumbdown:

Peter.

V

Vivek

Did they buy everything to resell it with a high profit ?
Oh, yes! That is what they do!

You can avoid all that non-sense and buy a Computar-TV 25/1.3 (normal focal length) when it shows up for much less. Keep in mind they sold for <$200 when new. It is a double Gauss design and the performance is no less than a Zeiss Planar or similar.:thumbs:

D

dwright

Photo below was taken on a G1 using the Angenieux 10mm/f1.8 R21 pan focus lens.

I wouldn't say the Angenieux is a small lens - see size comparison with a Vivitar 24mm/f2.8.

I'm looking at an Angenieux 10mm f1.8. Other lenses have rather cryptic or incomplete data.
Peter,
Most if not all C-mount lenses of less than 25mm focal length will not cover the whole 4/3 sensor. That is probably the reason why they are not mentioned at all in the spreadsheet.

Cheers
Peter Werner

P

PeterLeyssens

Oh, yes! That is what they do!
:ROTFL:

You can avoid all that non-sense and buy a Computar-TV 25/1.3 (normal focal length) when it shows up for much less. Keep in mind they sold for <$200 when new. It is a double Gauss design and the performance is no less than a Zeiss Planar or similar.:thumbs:
Nice ! I'll keep an eye open for one of those.

Peter,
Most if not all C-mount lenses of less than 25mm focal length will not cover the whole 4/3 sensor. That is probably the reason why they are not mentioned at all in the spreadsheet.
Hmm, I was starting to notice that. Well, I mainly want a good and fast 25mm or just a bit shorter (Pana 20/1.7) for informal portraits. But I wouldn't be surprised that, if I get my hands on a nice "classic" lens and use it on a convertor, I turn into a gear slut of the lowest kind and won't be able to resist trying out the wider ones anyway :toocool:

Peter.

RichA

Photo below was taken on a G1 using the Angenieux 10mm/f1.8 R21 pan focus lens.

I wouldn't say the Angenieux is a small lens - see size comparison with a Vivitar 24mm/f2.8.

With the 10mm, what is the actual coverage angle once cropped? About the same as a 16mm lens with full frame coverage?

Photomorgana

Hi,
There should not be any focusing to infinity problems with most of the lenses. You might have had the problem because of the lens that was disassembled and never assembled properly. Lots of cine lenses can be easily adjusted to infinity by loosening one or two screws and twisting the barrel. When it comes to pro-cine users they all had lenses collimated to their cameras for best results and all cine cameras were somewhat different.

Anyhow, I love C-mount and Arri lenses and I will not hesitate to use them, should the Sun become available this summer. :)

I have promised in the past to write reviews about C-mount lenses and Arri, but I really did not have time to do so. Sorry... But the rule of thumb is:
1. 25mm to 150mm should generally cover sensor.
2. If you want to spend lots of money go for Switar, Angenieux, Ivotal, panchrotal. (they are legendary lenses, Kern Switars actually went to the Moon with Apollo 11)
(Dallmeyer, Hugo Meyer etc... will cost more, but will not give you much improvement over others, they are collectors items, dont apply for second morgage to get them)
3. If you want to spend less go for Kodak and Wollensak they are not bad at all.
4. Want to spend even less go for anything with c-mount and have fun.
5. Dont forget about Arri mount. Schneider can be had for cheap, but if you want to get some unique look, search for Cooke and Kinoptik. If you want Zeiss, I would rather go with C/Y mount, since you can also use it on FF body if you have one. (plus some fast zeiss are really expensive due to their use on 35mm Academy format Cine cameras)

I also like using Leica M and olympus pen lenses, but there is something special about using some cine lenses lenses on m4/3, its almost like shooting with large format camera wide open.
See sample... the subject almost jumping out of the photo:

D

dwright

"With the 10mm, what is the actual coverage angle once cropped? About the same as a 16mm lens with full frame coverage?"

Comparison below is between the Angenieux 10mm/f1.8 and my P&S Samsung NV24HD which is equivalent to 24mm at the wide end. Not taken from exactly the same position but close enough. The original Samsung image is 10Mp whereas the Angenieux would be about 3Mp if cropped to rectangular format.

I think you would want the extra speed very badly to opt to use the Angenieux R21 with your Panasonic G1!

Photomorgana

Jerry, I like the bokeh and curvature, but never been a fan of how Ziess handles the reds. (purple looks great) Overall nice lens indeed.

kds315

Never heard of Ziess lenses, maybe these can't handle reds. My Zeiss ones do it perfectly. (sorry could not resist...)