The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EVF coming for E-P1 !!!

bcaslis

Exactly. I don't see why people say it can't be done - it already has.
The GX-100 has a hotshoe and a mini-USB underneath it. The E-P1 has only the hotshoe. As said earlier it makes no sense. If this was possible it would have been mentioned as part of the introduction. I've seen numerous people say they would buy one only if an EVF was present.

cjlacz

The Ricoh GX-100 and 200 example suggests that you need more than 4-5 pins to connect to an EVF. Below the first picture is the hot shoe of a GR-D2, showing 4 pins, one of them larger and presumably ground. The second picture is the hot shoe and a mystery connector just below that the EVF uses, on a GX-100. The ground contacts on the GX-100 are much larger, and the socket below appears to have many parallel signal contacts, (GR-D2 photographed with the GX-100, and vice versa. Isn't the macro function on a small format digicam convenient?)

scott
Thanks for posting that. I was trying to find a picture. That isn't a mysterday connector, it's that the EVF plugs into. I don't remember exactly how many 'pins' are on it. The EVF of the GX200 doesn't work through the connectors on the EVF anyway. If you could use them to control the EVF, you'd have to have them wired up properly when making the camera, this isn't a firmware fix. You'd have to have some way of determining if it's a flash or EVF in the hotshoe, although you might be able to get creative with that. You'd have to have hardware to encode the signal to go through only a few contacts and probably hardware in the EVF to decode it. Even if you use USB or HDMI you'll probably have to have more chips in there then the GX200 EVF.

cjlacz

The GX-100 has a hotshoe and a mini-USB underneath it. The E-P1 has only the hotshoe. As said earlier it makes no sense. If this was possible it would have been mentioned as part of the introduction. I've seen numerous people say they would buy one only if an EVF was present.
That's not mini-USB. You can see just from looking at the USB connectors that they aren't compatible. You'd need hardware in the EVF to handle USB. It's more likely a chip in the camera encodes it directly for the LCD in the EVF and it's a direct connection. That would keep the EVF small and reduce the need for more chips.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The communication between camera and viewfinder is via wireless internet. When you switch on the camera, you'll have to choose between IE and Firefox. With zoom lenses, you can store the varying focal lengths on different tabs. There's a dial-up option for areas withouy wireless internet connection :D

cjlacz

The communication between camera and viewfinder is via wireless internet. When you switch on the camera, you'll have to choose between IE and Firefox. With zoom lenses, you can store the varying focal lengths on different tabs. There's a dial-up option for areas withouy wireless internet connection :D
Haha! Thanks for the humor, I get too serious about technology sometimes. :thumbup:

tom in mpls

The rumor site has been updated with mention of a cable that will connect the EVF with the camera body...

http://43rumors.com/ft5-very-important-evf-update/

This is sounding like a less attractive option.
As per my earlier comment, this would mean the HDMI/AV port cover would have to remain in the open position. But then again, it would be only a short time before the door would be accidentally snapped off, and that problem would be solved!

bcaslis

Now they are posting to cover their butts. Now they are saying that there will 100% be an EVF but it may only work with the next PEN.

Yeah, sure.

C

Chuck A

That's the problem with the rumor thing. They get it right some of the time. I too would love to see a removable EVF for the E-P1 and the rumors got me pretty excited. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

I am hoping the new Panasonic m4/3 fills some of these gaps. There are lots of rumors on this front. Looking at the G1/GH1 it seems that they have the EVF and AF issues solved. Now just how to get them into that small body. Quite an exciting time for camera buffs I think.

Brian Mosley

I thought it was understood that there was to be an Oly m4/3rds camera with EVF coming.
Hi Diane, that's what I heard on dpreview (from a slightly more credible source) - 43rumors are trying very hard... but nil points this time :ROTFL:

I've been using the E-P1 for a few weeks now, and understand completely that the design is intended not to require an eye-level viewfinder.

Kind Regards

Brian

jonoslack

JORGEN - speaking with forked tongue again

what a load of old rubbish.

It will ONLY USE SAFARI