Site Sponsors

Thread: EVF coming for E-P1 !!!

Senior Subscriber Member Mike Hatam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

EVF coming for E-P1 !!!

Exciting news... and very welcome. I'm glad that Olympus is doing this, as it will resolve the single biggest issue I have with the camera (lack of EVF).

http://43rumors.com/attachable-olympus-evf/

It's not "officially announced" yet by Olympus, but has been confirmed by enough knowledgeable sources to be considered a reality.

Mike
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Post Thanks / Like

Re: EVF coming for E-P1 !!!

Can there be any way to communicate with the camera other than the hot shoe contacts? That would make sense to me since I believe hot shoes will inform a flash of the lens' focal length. Still, how would it be powered? A button battery?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know this appears to be a viable rumor and I really hope it is true, but I don't see any way for the electronic signals such a VF would require to get to the unit unless it has a cable that plugs into the USB port or the mini HDMI port. Neither sound like a good solution to me. Perhaps it will only be avaialable to an E-P2?
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like

If true, the only video signal available would be that from the HDMI port.... unless Olympus have been outputting a composite video signal out one of the hotshoe pins without anyone knowing about it (but I seriously doubt that, and would question its usefulness in any case). So, if this rumour is true, this probably means a cable arrangement down to that port, right? Pin #18 of the HDMI socket pinout supplies +5V, up to 50mA, so power is there, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Signal is signal. You have metal contacts on the hot shoe so why not run a digital signal up there? With an EFV it's all just 0s and 1s...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't believe it. I think someone is just playing with the rumor site. Besides, Oly has already said they are working on a camera with an integrated EVF.
    Charles - flickr

Post Thanks / Like

A cable running to the HDMI port would be a bad idea, practically and certainly esthetically. I am not familiar with rangefinder cameras, but instead of an EVF could it be a rangefinder type optical viewfinder? Does such a viewfinder change it's view as the focal length of the lens changes? Please educate me.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not confident that serially-transmitted signals through a single hotshoe pin would allow for a suitable user experience to make it worthwhile, unless they intend for this to be a mere gimmick. It's either HDMI, possibly USB... or nothing. I believe it would be totally do-able, but not through the existing hotshoe.

Post Thanks / Like

This has to be a late April fool's joke. No way would Oly create a design that forced the HDMI/AV port cover to sit in the open position with a cable running around to a viewfinder.
    Last edited by tom in mpls; 21st July 2009 at 17:24.

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't good marketing have dictated that when they rolled out the E-P1, the mention would have been made that an EVF was imminent in a few months? It would have boosted initial sales and you know that it had to have been in the pipeline at roll out.

I'm doubting it!
    Roger
    Leica M6, M8.2 & assorted Leica glass

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Why would they offer an optical finder if one of these was going to be released a couple of months after the camera was released?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Exactly! And going by the price of the dumb optical finder for a single lens ($100/-), the EVF would cost atleast $300/-.

Why would anyone bother for this kind of prices?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

IF the rumor is true (which we don't know for sure), my guess is that this is a reaction to the coming Panny version (rumored to be a compact, like the E-P1, but with an EVF), and also to the reviews that are dinging the camera's main weakness as the lack of an EVF.

My guess is that this is a reaction by Oly after their initial release of the E-P1.

Also - many would still prefer an Optical Finder over an EVF, so those two do not preclude each other. The fact (rumored) that the EVF is detachable would allow you to switch between them.
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Post Thanks / Like

Well, obviously, it is a transplantation of Ricoh GX200's viewfinder......
    If Oly wants to make such a accessary, I think she should release it at the same time.
    Anyway, rumors always make you happy for a while, no matter it is true or not.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

In spite of my doubts, I'd love to see a detachable EVF for the E-P1.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pentacon6 View Post
    Yes, the link states that it is a Ricoh photoshopped onto the Oly, the purpose of which is to give an idea of what such an animal might look like. But it does raise a question in my mind--does the ricoh have special contacts for the viewfinder? I'm assuming it doesn't just use hotshoe contacts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pentacon6 View Post
    Exactly. I don't see why people say it can't be done - it already has.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A closer examination of the hot shoe shows that this hot shoe has 5 pins plus ground. The pins exist to provide power and signal (especially the new pin located where the pin lock hole is located). Only two pins would be needed to carry the video and the center power pin for juice. Still, I have to question whether they will offer one.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like

The Ricoh GX-100 and 200 example suggests that you need more than 4-5 pins to connect to an EVF. Below the first picture is the hot shoe of a GR-D2, showing 4 pins, one of them larger and presumably ground. The second picture is the hot shoe and a mystery connector just below that the EVF uses, on a GX-100. The ground contacts on the GX-100 are much larger, and the socket below appears to have many parallel signal contacts, (GR-D2 photographed with the GX-100, and vice versa. Isn't the macro function on a small format digicam convenient?)

scott

daggerlee

USB runs on four contacts - two for power, two for data.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    Exactly. I don't see why people say it can't be done - it already has.
    The GX-100 has a hotshoe and a mini-USB underneath it. The E-P1 has only the hotshoe. As said earlier it makes no sense. If this was possible it would have been mentioned as part of the introduction. I've seen numerous people say they would buy one only if an EVF was present.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scott kirkpatrick View Post
    The Ricoh GX-100 and 200 example suggests that you need more than 4-5 pins to connect to an EVF. Below the first picture is the hot shoe of a GR-D2, showing 4 pins, one of them larger and presumably ground. The second picture is the hot shoe and a mystery connector just below that the EVF uses, on a GX-100. The ground contacts on the GX-100 are much larger, and the socket below appears to have many parallel signal contacts, (GR-D2 photographed with the GX-100, and vice versa. Isn't the macro function on a small format digicam convenient?)

scott
    Thanks for posting that. I was trying to find a picture. That isn't a mysterday connector, it's that the EVF plugs into. I don't remember exactly how many 'pins' are on it. The EVF of the GX200 doesn't work through the connectors on the EVF anyway. If you could use them to control the EVF, you'd have to have them wired up properly when making the camera, this isn't a firmware fix. You'd have to have some way of determining if it's a flash or EVF in the hotshoe, although you might be able to get creative with that. You'd have to have hardware to encode the signal to go through only a few contacts and probably hardware in the EVF to decode it. Even if you use USB or HDMI you'll probably have to have more chips in there then the GX200 EVF.
    Charles - flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    The GX-100 has a hotshoe and a mini-USB underneath it. The E-P1 has only the hotshoe. As said earlier it makes no sense. If this was possible it would have been mentioned as part of the introduction. I've seen numerous people say they would buy one only if an EVF was present.
    That's not mini-USB. You can see just from looking at the USB connectors that they aren't compatible. You'd need hardware in the EVF to handle USB. It's more likely a chip in the camera encodes it directly for the LCD in the EVF and it's a direct connection. That would keep the EVF small and reduce the need for more chips.

Charles - flickr

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The communication between camera and viewfinder is via wireless internet. When you switch on the camera, you'll have to choose between IE and Firefox. With zoom lenses, you can store the varying focal lengths on different tabs. There's a dial-up option for areas withouy wireless internet connection

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    The communication between camera and viewfinder is via wireless internet. When you switch on the camera, you'll have to choose between IE and Firefox. With zoom lenses, you can store the varying focal lengths on different tabs. There's a dial-up option for areas withouy wireless internet connection
    Haha! Thanks for the humor, I get too serious about technology sometimes.
    Charles - flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Wireless Connection

The communication between camera and viewfinder is via wireless internet.
    In fact you might not be far off. A Bluetooth set-up is perfectly feasible, as it's such short range between the camera and EVF.

Post Thanks / Like

An E-P2 looks better ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hot View Post
    An E-P2 looks better ...

Hot!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The rumor site has been updated with mention of a cable that will connect the EVF with the camera body...

http://43rumors.com/ft5-very-important-evf-update/

This is sounding like a less attractive option.
    Mike Hatam
    Sony A99, RX1, RX100

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hatam View Post
    The rumor site has been updated with mention of a cable that will connect the EVF with the camera body...

http://43rumors.com/ft5-very-important-evf-update/

This is sounding like a less attractive option.
    As per my earlier comment, this would mean the HDMI/AV port cover would have to remain in the open position. But then again, it would be only a short time before the door would be accidentally snapped off, and that problem would be solved!

Post Thanks / Like

Now they are posting to cover their butts. Now they are saying that there will 100% be an EVF but it may only work with the next PEN.

Yeah, sure.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought it was understood that there was to be an Oly m4/3rds camera with EVF coming.

Chuck A

That's the problem with the rumor thing. They get it right some of the time. I too would love to see a removable EVF for the E-P1 and the rumors got me pretty excited. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

I am hoping the new Panasonic m4/3 fills some of these gaps. There are lots of rumors on this front. Looking at the G1/GH1 it seems that they have the EVF and AF issues solved. Now just how to get them into that small body. Quite an exciting time for camera buffs I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    I thought it was understood that there was to be an Oly m4/3rds camera with EVF coming.
    Hi Diane, that's what I heard on dpreview (from a slightly more credible source) - 43rumors are trying very hard... but nil points this time

I've been using the E-P1 for a few weeks now, and understand completely that the design is intended not to require an eye-level viewfinder.

Kind Regards

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

JORGEN - speaking with forked tongue again

what a load of old rubbish.

It will ONLY USE SAFARI

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hot View Post
    An E-P2 looks better ...
    EP-2 is an (http://www.olympus-europa.com/consumer/208_ep-2.htm) eyecup!

Chuck A

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Good one!!!!