The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EP1 simple question...

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
I am about to get the camera...
but...does the camera have a focus scale
like the DP1 and can the screen be turned off.
Ideally, I would have the 17mm, finder on top,
screen off and focused to hyperfocal distance.
Ai I dreaming or is this possible?
Thanks...I've posted all over the net and still
no exact answer....
Don

Mikec

Screen off - yes.
Focus scale - no. :(

Focused to hyperfocal distance will likely require the following workaround,
- use your distance estimation skill to find a spot to focus on using AF
- turn-off AF
- avoiding touching the focus ring

This is from information that I have read, including the manual online. I will have the camera tomorrow and will know more.

The way you want to shoot is exactly the way I would like to setup the camera. The GRDII is amazing at that. The DP-1 is pretty good as well.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Thanks for the reply. It amazes me that this
camera does not have a scale.
I will probably get it tomorrow also but with
the zoomie lens.....the 17 is not in my neck of the
woods yet. Let's hope a firmware adds a scale....
Don

Mikec

Focus scale + focus "lock" would be great additions. This way, one does not have to worry about bumping the focus ring.

With these 2 additions, I'd say the EP1 would be THE modern street camera!

D

daggerlee

You could always get a manual focus lens around that length. For example, try the Voigtlander 15mm/4.5. The max aperture is not as open but if you're hyperfocusing then you'll probably be around f/8 or higher, right?

Mikec

You could always get a manual focus lens around that length. For example, try the Voigtlander 15mm/4.5. The max aperture is not as open but if you're hyperfocusing then you'll probably be around f/8 or higher, right?
That is an excellent idea! Does anyone know if the corners look ok with that lens adapted to m43?

Mikec

I will have the adaptor and 15mm lens soon. Once I have some time to play with the combo, I can report back.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
How do you turn the screen off? I have not figured out a way to do that.

Screen off - yes.
Focus scale - no. :(

Focused to hyperfocal distance will likely require the following workaround,
- use your distance estimation skill to find a spot to focus on using AF
- turn-off AF
- avoiding touching the focus ring

This is from information that I have read, including the manual online. I will have the camera tomorrow and will know more.

The way you want to shoot is exactly the way I would like to setup the camera. The GRDII is amazing at that. The DP-1 is pretty good as well.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks - I had not found that. If I have the Fn button set to another function (I use it to set the "home" focus point), is there another way to turn off the LCD?

It would be handy to have the LCD off when shooting with the 17/2.8 and OVF.

nostatic

There is another "button" with a left arrowhead below the Fn setting that you can set to toggle LCD off but I don't know which "button" it correlates to on the camera (don't have my manual handy).

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Cool - that worked! I set the < button (on the dial) to Backlight on/off. That's what I needed. Thanks for the pointer.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Ouch. :(

How soft? Acceptable if very high image quality is not required?
I have been trying to find where I posted my test results originally since I long ago chucked the files away and will likely be too busy for a few days to replicate the test but I wouldn't risk using these shorter lenses myself. Try reading this thread to see what the results were on the G1. Results on the Pen are similar-ish.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica.../80419-update-m8-users-wanting-g1-backup.html

Best

Tim

Last edited: