Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Voigtlander 12mm f5.6

  1. #1
    OzRay
    Guest

    Voigtlander 12mm f5.6

    Does anyone have the Voigtlander 12mm lens and what is their opinion of the image quality?

    Ceers

    Ray

  2. #2
    Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1117

    Re: Voigtlander 12mm f5.6

    I have this lens and have used it on the G1, but not yet the E-P1

    I like it. Doesn't seem to have too much of a corner smearing problem in my pictures.

    Here are a couple of examples

    Keith

  3. #3
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Voigtlander 12mm f5.6

    Ihave it and at full size on the E-P1 you can definitely see a difference. By the time you buy the 12mm and an adapter (if you don't have one) you are starting to get closer to the price of the 7-14 lens. The lens is bigger than the 12 but is not much different than the 14-42 kit zoom when extended. I think the 7-14 does a better job overall and is more flexible if you want to shoot ultra wide. I posted shots from both here on the forum. It was on the "having fun with the E-P1" thread.

  4. #4
    Senior Member pellicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Southport, Australia
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtlander 12mm f5.6

    I was thinking about that lens for my G1 ... I ended up getting the 9-18 olympus and an adaptor. Focus is a bit slow, but manual focus activation of zoom works and the AF-S isn't soooo bad (pitty its a brick).

    As an Ozzie you might find that buying from these guys doesn't hurt in import taxes as much as it does for me in Finland. Those prices are in Singapore Dollars too so its about 790 Aussie pesos

    :-)

  5. #5
    OzRay
    Guest

    Re: Voigtlander 12mm f5.6

    Thanks guys. I've got the Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f1.1 and love it, which is why I'm thinking of the 12mm. I've considered the 7-14mm, but it's around twice the price of the Voigtlander 12mm, when it finally arrives.

    I've already got the Olympus 7-14mm and don't use it as much as I thought. A 22-24mm equivalent would be ideal. I can also get the Voigtlander cheaper here than the US, about the same as from Chiif Camera, so it's not so bad.

    Cheers

    Ray

  6. #6
    Senior Member RichA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtlander 12mm f5.6

    Quote Originally Posted by OzRay View Post
    Thanks guys. I've got the Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f1.1 and love it, which is why I'm thinking of the 12mm. I've considered the 7-14mm, but it's around twice the price of the Voigtlander 12mm, when it finally arrives.

    I've already got the Olympus 7-14mm and don't use it as much as I thought. A 22-24mm equivalent would be ideal. I can also get the Voigtlander cheaper here than the US, about the same as from Chiif Camera, so it's not so bad.

    Cheers

    Ray
    From some images Ive seen (no means definitive) the new Panasonic 7-14mm is better wide open than the Olympus. This could have something to do with G1/GH1 in-camera corrections to the new optics. Plus it's smaller (considerably) and about 35% cheaper. It should be very interesting to see them compared in a test.

  7. #7
    OzRay
    Guest

    Re: Voigtlander 12mm f5.6

    Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    From some images Ive seen (no means definitive) the new Panasonic 7-14mm is better wide open than the Olympus. This could have something to do with G1/GH1 in-camera corrections to the new optics. Plus it's smaller (considerably) and about 35% cheaper. It should be very interesting to see them compared in a test.
    The Australian Panasonic site lists the 7-14mm at a higher price than the Olympus 7-14mm. The correction that the G1 does with the 7-14mm is much the same as what you can do in Photoshop and it removes a lot of the image in doing so.

    One reason that I don't carry the 7-14mm about that much, except for special circumstances, is the fact that the front element is very exposed and the Panasonic one is about the same.

    If Olympus brought out a m4/3s equivalent of the 11-22mm, then that would be a great lens.

    Cheers

    Ray

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtlander 12mm f5.6

    I have it but don't use it too much due to its limited flexibility (24 mm EFL is not a very "all-purpose" focal length, and max aperture is f/5.6) and suboptimal IQ. It's surprisingly good for such a wide adapted lens, but Olympus and Panny 4/3 and m4/3 lenses are definitely better when it comes to IQ (it has some corner blurring wide-open, not tack sharp). However, if you're looking for something small and light as a top priority, this is pretty much your only choice unless you want to go the C-mount cine lens route. Who knows how long you'll have to wait for Oly to produce a 12 mm prime for m4/3?

  9. #9
    Senior Member RichA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Voigtlander 12mm f5.6

    Quote Originally Posted by OzRay View Post
    The Australian Panasonic site lists the 7-14mm at a higher price than the Olympus 7-14mm. The correction that the G1 does with the 7-14mm is much the same as what you can do in Photoshop and it removes a lot of the image in doing so.

    One reason that I don't carry the 7-14mm about that much, except for special circumstances, is the fact that the front element is very exposed and the Panasonic one is about the same.

    If Olympus brought out a m4/3s equivalent of the 11-22mm, then that would be a great lens.

    Cheers

    Ray
    I agree, the 11-22mm is a great lens.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •