The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Do you find the G1 display hard to read outdoors?

greypilgrim

Just want to get some feedback; I have been expecting to use it more, but I find it difficult to see what is on the screen when outdoors, and I wanted to get a general consensus.

I've tried adjusting the brightness, but that seems to actually be a very minor adjustment.

Thanks,

Doug

Diane B

Doug, I think the concensus was that its light leak around the eye cup for the EVF. It helps a lot if you are able to just shield with your hand around the cup. I find the edge of the EVF harder to 'smash' my eye up to when its needed (than the softer cup of my 5D for instance--which has 'issues' with the settings being bright enough in daylight-so there you go LOL), but I guess I have just generally gotten used to it because I haven't really thought about it recently and do a lot of MF focusing.

greypilgrim

Doug, I think the concensus was that its light leak around the eye cup for the EVF. It helps a lot if you are able to just shield with your hand around the cup. I find the edge of the EVF harder to 'smash' my eye up to when its needed (than the softer cup of my 5D for instance--which has 'issues' with the settings being bright enough in daylight-so there you go LOL), but I guess I have just generally gotten used to it because I haven't really thought about it recently and do a lot of MF focusing.
Diane,
Sorry, I meant the LCD. I have actually found the EVF works pretty well for me with contacts (glasses is a bit dicier), or at least as well as my D200.

The problem I am having is with the articulating display. I was trying to use it yesterday under cloudy conditions, and I always found myself reverting to the EVF. This kept me from using MF lenses with the LCD. I was hoping that in most conditions, I could use it, but increasing the brightness didn't seem to help much at all.

Doug

Godfrey

Like any LCD, it gets hard to see with too much light shining on it.

I just shade it with my hat, or use the EVF when essential.

f6cvalkyrie

Everytime I do not look too ridiculous, I throw the old black cloth from my SINAR days over the LCD screen and my head.

Works perfect in slow conditions, but remember not to do it when anybody is looking :D:D

C U,
Rafael

Diane B

Like any LCD, it gets hard to see with too much light shining on it.

I just shade it with my hat, or use the EVF when essential.
More or less like Godfrey--the only time I use the LCD is on tripod and its easy to use 2 hands--one to shield. Otherwise, I find using MF lenses much easier to use with the EVF than the LCD--just my preference. Somehow I can discern focus better with the EVF (with the diopter set so I don't need to use my glasses) than with the LCD where I have to fiddle with glasses.

If you have trouble using the EVF with glasses, then I understand your plight. Perhaps you'd profit from using the Hoodman Loupe that Uwe Steinmuller (see http://www.outbackphoto.com/CONTENT_2007_01/section_gear_cameras_2009/20090507_Viewfinder/index.html ) uses with several smaller cameras with LCDs only (notably the E-P1 recently).

Diane

f6cvalkyrie

This loupe does indeed look very interesting !
And shows +/- 3 diopters correction, that's 50% more than the inbuilt correction for the EVF.

I don't have time to order one before going on holidays, but I certainly will as soon as I come back !

Thanks for mentioning it, Diane !

C U
Rafael

greypilgrim

Hmm, okay, then it's not me (whew).

What I was looking for was the ability to use the LCD for MF in those awkward situations where the swivel really helps over the EVF (down low, weird angle, macro shots, etc...), but it sounds like in sunlight I either need to really shade it well or stick to AF for basic composition but not critical focusing or even for critical review.

Thanks,

Doug