The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 Owners - What case(s) are you using?

LarryWomack

I'm looking for a case (or two) suited to the G1. I 'd like to hear what cases are preferred by other G1 owners.

I did a quick search and didn't see much in the way of threads on this topic.

1 - System Case - Suitable to carry the body with 14-45mm Panasonic lens attached, plus the Panasonic 45-200mm, Olympus 17mm micro 4/3, M-Mount to micro 4/3 adapter and 2-3 M-Mount lenses, a flash, and a few odds and ends. Storage and travel are factors.

2 - Walk-Around Case - Body plus 1-3 lenses. Utility and size are the prime considerations.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Larry

pellicle

Hi

home bew job made from a ex army 'gas mask' bag with a little closed cell padding inside.

I once had a professional photographer (who photographed also at schools) say that since he stopped using lowepro and started using a nappy change bag he had not had anyone steal his camera stuff.

stealth

ecsh

I got the Lumix case. Small, portable, and i can get the body with lens attached, plus two other lens in as well. A front pouch area for cards and other small stuff. Great size.

Joan

I have the Domke F-5XB which is great for the camera, two kit lenses and accessories. Would easily accommodate one or two more smaller lenses such as the Oly 17.5 (on camera) and the Panny 7-14. Very comfortable to carry around and can even be slipped on your belt. Very fond of it.

Diane B

I have 3 possibilities now (out of my large stash of bags I'm afraid). The best 'walking around' one was a recommendation of Terry (TEBnewyork)--the Terraclime 100. I can easily put the G1 plus any lens mounted plus 2 others--and it still has room for some personal things (phone/Ipod, wallet, comb/lipgloss, etc.) plus batteries, extra card and more. I like it because its very flexible--body molding, one can stuff it even more when needed with all the lenses really needed (it will even take my 5D with a lens mounted) and it will work nicely if you like to carry the bag slung across your body.

Before that I was using my Domke 5XB--quite small, zipper top. Without using dividers, its more like the Terraclime but still has a bit more rigid (relative--nothing like well padded bags) rectangular shape. With 2 dividers, I carry the G1 with lens and 2 other lenses--usually 2 MF with adaptors and hoods that I can easily pull up/out for shooting without any hassle. It can be slung across body but is slightly less comfortable for that than the Terraclime. It also can be carried on your belt (though for me that's really too heavy, but for a man--probably not).

My third is primarily for hiking or similar use--the Lowepro Sling 100. It will carry the camera/lens and several lenses. It has room for lots of other things in separate areas and is very comfortable to use--esp. with the G1. I bought it to use with a 400D for hiking. I use a 200 with the 5D (or did LOL).

I hate to even admit I might carry a number of lenses, but sometimes do if I'm driving so my Domke 6 (classic 'little bit smaller') is great for that with the insert I like--for 4 lenses--twice that if you stack, plus the camera with lens mounted. It has a back pocket that I stick my filter wallet in, front zip pocket that takes all the extras. I don't use this much, but occasionally--and its still quite light relative to carrying my 5D and a couple of lenses.
Last month I carried this with a different smaller insert and the 5D with 50 f/1.4 and G1 with 14-45 and 45-200.

Diane

simonclivehughes

I have several ThinkTank bags, and from a design and execution standpoint, they're fabulous. I use the Digital Holster 20 when I take my G1 or GH1 on my bike. It's a small size, but the bottom expands so you can put an extra lens there.

For hiking, I'll use the LowePro Slingshot 200 into which I can fit both the G1 and GH1 with lenses as well as another lens and a flash etc.

For just walking around, I just have the camera(s) around may neck with a small waist pouch with another lens. The only problem with this approach is that you can't put the cameras out of sight.

Cheers,

rrobinson54

I like my Crumpler 7 Million Dollar bag for my Nikon D300 outfit. I would like to get a Crumpler bag for my G1, with the two kits lenses & external flash. Anyone using Crumpler with their G1 outfit?

Terry

As Diane stated I've been using the terraclime 100, I also have the domke (cut the tag off the front). I also would not hesitate using a small day pack with a wrap for the camera like Frank (the terraclime comes with one) and some neoprene pouches for the lenses in a regular daypack as Frank suggests.

Godfrey

1 - System Case - Suitable to carry the body with 14-45mm Panasonic lens attached, plus the Panasonic 45-200mm, Olympus 17mm micro 4/3, M-Mount to micro 4/3 adapter and 2-3 M-Mount lenses, a flash, and a few odds and ends. Storage and travel are factors.
Either of the Billingham Hadley Pro or Think Tank Photo Urban Disguise 50 does this job for me, depending on whether I need to carry the laptop or not.

2 - Walk-Around Case - Body plus 1-3 lenses. Utility and size are the prime considerations.
Domke F5XB or Lowepro Terraclime 100. Enough room for a good all day shooting bag while not being overly bulky.

JBurnett

2. Walkaround case:

Using a Slingshot 100 when mobility/safety required, or possibility of being caught in foul weather.

I was also using Terraclime 100, and sometimes the wrap from it in an old canvas "healthy-back" bag. Seems my wife has laid claim to the Terraclime. Domke F-5xb is a possible replacement.

Crumpler 5-million-dollar-home looked OK for the job, but I'm not sure about the flexibility of the partitioning. At least they have fixed the velcro "problem". It's optional -- there are built-in flaps to cover it!

I recently saw a Roots bag (RP109) that I want to look at again. It had a slight curve to the body of it which made it feel comfy on the hip. Not sure aout the design of the entry or durability, though, and I didn't have my gear with me.

Diane B

As Diane stated I've been using the terraclime 100, I also have the domke (cut the tag off the front). I also would not hesitate using a small day pack with a wrap for the camera like Frank (the terraclime comes with one) and some neoprene pouches for the lenses in a regular daypack as Frank suggests.
The daypack with wraps and pouches works for me also. I was sorting out all my bags today--a couple go to Goodwill, should put several up for sale--but probably will end up procrastinating as usual LOL--and my regularly used bags (3 Domkes, 2 Slings) stay in the front where I can reach them. But--sometimes the daypack I've hauled my 5D and lenses (before the Sling 200--when I didn't 'love' my 2 other big backpacks) is maybe the best choice when you want to add more---sweatshirt, water bottle, sketch pad or notebook--maybe even a book and Ipod and lunch. Diane

rrobinson54

Questions on the terraclime: Does the camera wrap around pouch work well? Is it very protective? Is it easy to get the camera in and out, using the wrap? Where did you buy your terraclime bag?

JBurnett

Questions on the terraclime: Does the camera wrap around pouch work well? Is it very protective? Is it easy to get the camera in and out, using the wrap? Where did you buy your terraclime bag?
My take: The wrap works well as a protector, but it's not nearly as protective as the more "formed" partitions and walls of Lowepro's more rigid bags. It will protect your camera from bumps and such, but a drop would be worrisome. In contrast, I think equipment in the Slingshot 100 (as an example) would survive a similar drop better (not that I'm about to test this, you understand). OTOH, I usually sling the bag across my body, so drops are not a real concern.

I left the wrap turned back at the top for easier access. Quick ins and outs weren't quite as quick as with the more "formed" bags. I found myself using both hands at times -- one on the camera and one holding the wrap.

I purchased mine locally in Toronto (Henry's).

On the plus side: the bag less conspicuous, being softer it forms a bit to the body, it has "silent" closure clips, and it's a very good size for a small G1 kit.

Diane B

Agree with John--yet again LOL. I have used softer bags for a good while (3 Domkes) but have lots of more rigid bags. No, the TC won't do as good a job as the more rigid in protecting the camera/lens in a fall, but in many years I've actually never dropped mine, nor hit the bag hard enough on something to damage anything inside. Now--for hiking, particularly in some situations where we've had to use feet plus 2 hands and the bag does risk being hit against rocks or or some other accident, I'd highly recommend the Sling for that situation (in the past I've used a backpack but the Sling, at least for me, works better overall). In normal day to day use, I'd find it hard to drop my bag--usually slung across like John's (I do the same with the Domke 5Xb).

I also open the wrap to access easier. I have the lenses in pouches. It works quite well. I like the wrap because you can adjust it to fit size. I've found I can even carry the 5D/fair size lens mounted--and wrapped.

I like softer bags that conform a bit to my body--mine is black, pretty inconspicuous--it doesn't look like a camera bag and yet holds as much as needed (or as little) suprisingly (G1 kit). Its my bag of choice most days now.

Diane

My take: The wrap works well as a protector, but it's not nearly as protective as the more "formed" partitions and walls of Lowepro's more rigid bags. It will protect your camera from bumps and such, but a drop would be worrisome. In contrast, I think equipment in the Slingshot 100 (as an example) would survive a similar drop better (not that I'm about to test this, you understand). OTOH, I usually sling the bag across my body, so drops are not a real concern.

I left the wrap turned back at the top for easier access. Quick ins and outs weren't quite as quick as with the more "formed" bags. I found myself using both hands at times -- one on the camera and one holding the wrap.

I purchased mine locally in Toronto (Henry's).

On the plus side: the bag less conspicuous, being softer it forms a bit to the body, it has "silent" closure clips, and it's a very good size for a small G1 kit.

Godfrey

For bags like the Terraclime or Domke F5XB, I just jam a wrap or two in to keep things from juggling into one another and don't worry about wrapping sstuff. Keeps the bag fast and fits more that way.

Soft bags are for working out of, not for travel protection. :)