The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ep1 in depth review just posted

R

Ranger 9

They lost me by the fourth paragraph, where the reviewer states: "the E-P1's styling (and all metal construction) harks back to the glory days of the mechanical camera..."

Evidently Simon Joinson is the only person in the photo-blogosphere who hasn't seen all those photos of the E-P1's plastic guts... or else he's very, very careless about how he uses words such as "all metal construction." Either way, it makes me wonder how well-informed a review this really is.

[Mind you, I don't have any issues with the fact that the E-P 1 has a plastic chassis... it's just that I expect reviewers on the big-name sites to get their basic facts right...]

tashley

Subscriber Member
I think it's a really accurate review with the exception of what Ranger noted. It really captures the balance of pros and cons and it also really captures the mood angle well in its conclusion.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Even the best reviewers are not as good as
a users post...I follow threads from users and
make my decision from the real info.

I know a few who are getting the camera from
my feelings about it . I made my decision from right here
at this forum....

Rawfa

I totally agree with you. I can read as many good reviews are there are, but talking to real reliable users is a big part of my decision making process.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Ya know it's a funny process buying a camera.
I started off about a month ago dead against getting the Oly. Then I read and got excited. I looked at images and realized the potential even without a good raw processor...

then, I found out that there was no focus scale and dropped the idea of the camera as a waste of tiem....I mean with a 17mm and the finder....what good is it if ya can't use Hyper-focal Distance....?

So I was reading again and then...Jono posted that he could see to about 170 degrees and the screen was clear....I realized immediately that if I changed my way of thinking, I could get the image with this camera...I had it in less than 12 hours from reading Jono's post....

I never saw that posted anywhere else and that was the determining factor, the simple fact that the camera would assist in changing the way I worked and thought...I could read all the reviews in the world but....from a user, the decision was made...

V

Vivek

This review (and any future ones) would not make me buy the E-P1. Why bother reading it.:)

jonoslack

So I was reading again and then...Jono posted that he could see to about 170 degrees and the screen was clear....I realized immediately that if I changed my way of thinking, I could get the image with this camera...I had it in less than 12 hours from reading Jono's post....

I never saw that posted anywhere else and that was the determining factor, the simple fact that the camera would assist in changing the way I worked and thought...I could read all the reviews in the world but....from a user, the decision was made...
Gorblimey mate - don't blame me :):eek:
I'm with Tim on the review, I think it's a sensible review, and as for the 'all metal construction' remark, well, at least the outside is!
They seem to have understood well the fact that the sum of it's parts is more than . . .erm . . .it's parts!

kevinparis

think the telling thing in the review was that imagewise the EP-1 takes pictures that compete with its price rivals from Nikon and Canon.

this is a review lots of people will reference...remember DPreview is closely allied to Amazon and the generally glowing terms will no doubt help sell a lot of E-P1's... Which in the end benefits us all by giving Olympus profits to keep making great cameras.

So it doesn't have a viewfinder... the target market for this camera is for people who have never had a viewfinder

K

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Jono,
Bulldinky brother.... You are responsible for
my purchase...and my wife knows it to...

Kevin, in all honosty, I completely stopped
film at the exact turn of the century.
It was a planned decision. All my Leica's sleep
gently since then....but...
for the very 1st time, I am completely satisfied
with a camera since then....
The only other camera that gets close is the
DP1......
If that ain't singing something...
Nuttin...is
don

nostatic

I blame Jono as well. I wasn't considering the camera due to the relatively low rez screen (lack of EVF doesn't bother me at all). Jono's comments *forced* me to go to my local shop and try it in person. He then subliminally *forced* me to go back the same day and buy it.

kevinparis

oh understand I am very close to buying one... just they dont seem to be available in France with the 17mm yet.... Though I am sure even as I write this Jonoslack is bribing truck drivers to speed up shipments as part of his dastardly scheme to control us all :)

K

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Jono's on commission, you know -- but this time I've managed to resist.....so far :)
Robt.,
You won't like the camera. Afterall, it feels like a part of your vision and anatomy when you use it....It's got beautiful design and the quality just oozzeesseess from the essence of the camera....who needs that kinda stuff...
It also makes great images and with great IQ...who cares...

So what if it has interchangable lenses....who cares.....

Robt....forget it....

PS,... when ya get it...I'd love to see some images....
Don

jonoslack

Robt.,
You won't like the camera. Afterall, it feels like a part of your vision and anatomy when you use it....It's got beautiful design and the quality just oozzeesseess from the essence of the camera....who needs that kinda stuff...
It also makes great images and with great IQ...who cares...

So what if it has interchangable lenses....who cares.....

Robt....forget it....

PS,... when ya get it...I'd love to see some images....
Don
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

You're learning :)

jonoslack

I blame Jono as well. I wasn't considering the camera due to the relatively low rez screen (lack of EVF doesn't bother me at all). Jono's comments *forced* me to go to my local shop and try it in person. He then subliminally *forced* me to go back the same day and buy it.
:p
Bah - I'm only here to give people a laugh:)

jonoslack

think the telling thing in the review was that imagewise the EP-1 takes pictures that compete with its price rivals from Nikon and Canon.
So it doesn't have a viewfinder... the target market for this camera is for people who have never had a viewfinder

K
Hi Kevin - I wonder about the target market . . .I wonder if Olympus knew who it was as well.

Anyway, I have to be nice to you, as I promised to send some film to Paris, and I just realised that I haven't :confused::eek::cry:

Now, with the whole house in a state of complete chaos and flies, I'm not even sure where it is . . . Please will you grovel to Cam for me.

kevinparis

Jono....more grovelling!!!.... do you have a source for kevlar kneepads ? :)

plus I am worried what size of flies you have that can hide film :)

no panic .. do what you can do when you can

K

ps hugs from cam

R

ravduc

Re: just joined this forum

I have been reading this forum for the last few month and have finally registered. I have been using four third cameras ever since Olympus introduced the E-300 (five years ago) and have since purchased two E-1's, and E-300, E-3 and Digilux 3 in this format. What I find most interesting about the release of the EP-1 is the interest that it generates among traditional Canon, Nikon, Leica etc users. People are finally getting to use and appreciate this format and Olympus IQ. Many of the biases against Olympus IQ were previously based on reviews which would compare the high iso noise factor, and comments from people who had never even used a four thirds camera (most of them sales people promoting other brands, again based on their biases). A lot of these biases were based on pixel peeping rather than what these cameras can actually do with when you print.
DP review has now helped to promote this camera even more. Many more traditional Nikon and Canon users will now be taking a closer look at Olympus cameras and appreciate some of the innovations that have been implemented by this company since it's first camera.