The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus 17/2.8

V

Vivek

Finally, a sample reached me. After a few snaps with it, I knew that I would keep it. So, I got it all beautified. ;)

The lens is prone to flare.

A sample at its closest focus distance.

I have no idea why Olympus would claim that it has 5 bladed diaphram, "rounded aperture". I can only see pentagons (not shocking). The CA was not too disturbing though.

It has distortions but is sharp.

Sharpness isn't everything, the lens covers a hole in this FL.

Manual focus works for me though this one without any focus scale or manual aperture, would need a lot of practice for me to get used to.

One needs a real life example to understand why AF sucks. Never again will this lens be in AF mode!

Overall, the size and weight works in its favor.

The filter thread on the lens is too short. I am not too sure how long this flimsy lens will last for me. I am going to have to buy a spare as a back up!;)

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Man...that's is absolutely amazing that any manufacturer could forget that kinda thing....I just don't get it...but I got it anyway....

When I get the lens, I'll make my own hyperfocal marks...easy enough...
don

tashley

Subscriber Member
Man...that's is absolutely amazing that any manufacturer could forget that kinda thing....I just don't get it...but I got it anyway....

When I get the lens, I'll make my own hyperfocal marks...easy enough...
don
Nope - my understanding is that it rotates forever, no end stop at infinity: so there's no constant place to make the marks.

nostatic

I put a B+W filter on with no problem.

I like this lens a lot - to me just the right size for the body. That said I'm considering picking up the 14-42 (or Panny 14-45 if I could find one) just so I have something longer. I wish they made a "fast 50" (100mm equivalent) in u4/3.

V

Vivek

Tim is correct. You need power to make the "manual focus" ring to have any traction. Mark it all you want but it will be useless. All m4/3rds lenses function this way. If you want a true (manual focus) lens, adapter and a real lens is the way to go.

Nostatic, I have a 14-42 (the Oly lens). Drop me a line.

BTW, a 37mm "wide angle" hood ("heavystar" on ebay) makes a beautiful fit for the 17/2.8 (shown in the pic).

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
I really don't want to use my Leica glass but it seems I might have to....

There's gotta be a way and I'll figure it out....
Don

Well, that didn't take to long...ain't gonna happen!

anyway....WWE's on..later

Rawfa

Jesus, I really hope Oly releases a firmware update soon. The auto focus issue is a serious bug that needs urgent killing.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Rafa,
What issues do you have with the AF?
My copy seems very responsive even in lower light.
My issue is a focus scale but I don't see that
coming in a firmware due to the interchangable lens
mount.
My friend has a copy that focuses faster than mine.
I tested both side by side and there is a difference.
Very odd since there has been no update yet.
I'm curious as to the AF issues across the web.
Don

Rawfa

The issue that I have is that I've been getting more than my share of out of focus pics (if AF) EVEN with perfect lit conditions. I've owned A LOT of cameras and this is not normal.

T

terryc

Jesus, I really hope Oly releases a firmware update soon. The auto focus issue is a serious bug that needs urgent killing.
Rawfa,

I not sure what "Jesus" has to do with this - but likely nothing. My guess is the AF can be slightly tweaked but I wouldn't expect a major change in the this camera perhaps the in E-P2 or 3 (or whatever it becomes).

In the case of my E-P1 I have no problem locking focus (even in some relatively low and flat light) and other than the speed of the AF which I have managed to work around - the AF is what it is. That said I am not sure what your problem is unless there is significant copy variations - which I doubt, and you got a bad one!

Perhaps it is time for you to move on from the E-P1 - you have demonstrated you are a talented photographer but if you don't like the camera - why struggle? Just about every thread relating to the E-P1 has you struggling with one thing or another - I for one hear your pain and I would suggest simply moving on.

Best regards, Terry

Last edited:

monza

Rafa, to be clear, you're speaking of the Oly 14-42 kit zoom with regards to your focus issues, correct? Not the 17/2.8 which is the topic of this thread.

Diane B

Regular, garden variety, permanent marker did it, Robert.
I can't believe you did that LOL. I'd really like mine better in black--but not sure I want to take a Sharpie to it--but maybe *smile*.

You also blocked out the Lumix too, I see. Guess I never thought of that since all my Canons shout out that way also.

V

Vivek

Looks better this way to me, Diane. :)

Rafa, Here is one of my favorites from Barcelona Metro (last year):

Nikon D300, 50mm f/1.8 AF Nikkor. Fabulous auto focus from D300. :ROTFL::ROTFL:

The lens (17mm f/2.8) is a keeper for sure.:)

One from today.

G1, 17/2.8 @ f/3.2.

Rawfa

Rawfa,

I not sure what "Jesus" has to do with this - but likely nothing. My guess is the AF can be slightly tweaked but I wouldn't expect a major change in the this camera perhaps the in E-P2 or 3 (or whatever it becomes).

In the case of my E-P1 I have no problem locking focus (even in some relatively low and flat light) and other than the speed of the AF which I have managed to work around - the AF is what it is. That said I am not sure what your problem is unless there is significant copy variations - which I doubt, and you got a bad one!

Perhaps it is time for you to move on from the E-P1 - you have demonstrated you are a talented photographer but if you don't like the camera - why struggle? Just about every thread relating to the E-P1 has you struggling with one thing or another - I for one hear your pain and I would suggest simply moving on.

Best regards, Terry
Like many I've waited a long long LONG time for a camera like the E-P1 and even though I've bumped into problems that have made me change the workflow I used for years, it's a small price to pay for all the benefits and flexibility this camera has to offer. Presently my only issue with it is the AF, and here I don't understand what the surprise is since it seems to be one of the biggest complains on all reviews I read. I think this could easily be fixed with a firmware update and until then this is not what is going to be what will stop me from using this camera.

Rawfa

Rafa, to be clear, you're speaking of the Oly 14-42 kit zoom with regards to your focus issues, correct? Not the 17/2.8 which is the topic of this thread.
You are absolutely right. My apologies. I forgot Viv was shooting with a G1.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Rafa,
Have you set the AF to the AEL button.
This gives the camera just the focus funtion.
I noticed an improvement by doing this but really
anticipating the image is most important.
Don

T

terryc

Presently my only issue with it is the AF
Rawfa,

What is the specific issue(s) with the AF. I agree it is slow by recent standards, or is it the E-P1 AF in low light or flat light that is causing you problems or is it both?

I am less convinced than most that firmware can make a significant difference in either the speed of the AF or it's abilities in low light. I have to admit that I have not had any significant challenges with the E-P1 AF lock in relatively low light.

Good to hear you have decided to continue to use this camera, your talent and it's abilities will bring the forum many fine pictures, of that I am sure.

Best regards, Terry.