The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EP-2

slosync

Where and when can I put my order in.....:bugeyes:

Seems too early, but maybe it's the weather sealed, Pro version :thumbs:

I wish!

Cheers,
Don

Owen_Coors

I really hope that this "rumor" is true. Like many others, I need the EVF for focusing my manual-focus lenses. I've, several times now, tried focusing and composing, handheld shots with the liveview of my E420 and yes it can be done, but it's time comsuming and not nearly as gratifying an experience, for me, as using a view-finder. I really want the nearly full extra stop of dynamic range that the E-P1 offers, at base ISO, and the full 2-stops of DR at iso1600.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
The good thing about something like this is...
The E-P1 will not become obsolete. With interchangable lenses,
it becomes a 2nd body....

Now if they could get a rangefinder in there....
Well....Nirvana it is....

A

aero

I've been having an easy time focusing the E-P1. When I hit the "ok" button, the live view zooms in well enough to focus quite sharply, even under difficult situations. That feature has been great for my manual lenses. The picture stays live under digital zoom too...

I might be missing a lot here, but what is missing from the Live View that can be done with a viewfinder? I'm not being divisive -- I'm really asking!

The only thing I can see is direct sunlight and bleaching out of the LCD screen? I don't usually shoot in such light, but that's valid.

Any other reasons?

Thanks much,
-AD

V

Vivek

By the time Olympus go through their mock-ups, curtains and "teasers", Panasonic will be consolidating their market with a couple of more m4/3rds cameras, the pancake 20/1.7, etc.:)

OTOH, Olympus could come up with a limited edition all black m4/3rds with matching accessories and shock everyone.:rolleyes:

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I've been having an easy time focusing the E-P1. When I hit the "ok" button, the live view zooms in well enough to focus quite sharply, even under difficult situations. That feature has been great for my manual lenses. The picture stays live under digital zoom too...

I might be missing a lot here, but what is missing from the Live View that can be done with a viewfinder? I'm not being divisive -- I'm really asking!

The only thing I can see is direct sunlight and bleaching out of the LCD screen? I don't usually shoot in such light, but that's valid.

Any other reasons?

Thanks much,
-AD
Why a view finder?

"'No matter how capable it may be, any camera you have to hold out in front of you like a tourist is not cool.'
Dean Forbes "

JBurnett

Any other reasons?
For the older crowd, NO READING GLASSES! In looking for a "lighter-than-my-Canon-DSLR" system for hiking and travel, I tried a Canon G9 for our walking tour in Ireland. The optical finder wasn't very useful and I needed to put reading glasses on in order to compose via the LCD. Of course the glasses had to be perched down my nose so I could peer over them at the real scene. Then I would have to take them off as we hiked, as I needed normal vision to see my feet (lots of slippery rocks near cliff edges). It rained a lot, so the glasses got wet and spotty. I finally resorted to just holding the camera at arm's length, squinting at the LCD, and hoping auto-focus worked OK. For the most part, the camera took great pictures. But it was a frustrating experience.

Later, I tried bifocal reading glasses and even a loupe with eye correction that covered the LCD screen. However, as soon as I looked through the G1's EVF, I knew what camera I wanted to try next. I've had the G1 for about 4 months and couldn't be happier.

A

aero

Hahaha - I understand John. We're all headed there - eyes, joints, back... I just hope I can still push the shutter button until I'm 80.

-D

For the older crowd, NO READING GLASSES! In looking for a "lighter-than-my-Canon-DSLR" system for hiking and travel, I tried a Canon G9 for our walking tour in Ireland. The optical finder wasn't very useful and I needed to put reading glasses on in order to compose via the LCD. Of course the glasses had to be perched down my nose so I could peer over them at the real scene. Then I would have to take them off as we hiked, as I needed normal vision to see my feet (lots of slippery rocks near cliff edges). It rained a lot, so the glasses got wet and spotty. I finally

RichA

Rumored EP-2 with viewfinder; http://photorumors.com/
Olympus has more to worry about than just the viewfinder. Will it be integrated or some clunky add-on that completely kills whatever portability pretensions the E-P1 had? Will they get Panasonic's contrast focusing technology so it won't take almost 3 seconds to go from 3ft to infinity? Will they even get a decent LCD screen? The E-P1 is just a pretty also-ran right now, unless you are migrating from a $250 P&S and the vast shortcomings don't bother you.

Diane B

Hahaha - I understand John. We're all headed there - eyes, joints, back... I just hope I can still push the shutter button until I'm 80.

-D
LOL--hope for longer than that. My mother is 93.5 and though she has macular degeneration (and had to give up driving a year ago April) , she still does a bit of photography with a little Canon with a tiltable LCD. She never was into photography--these are basically snaps that I upload for her to her computer to email and look at at leisure--- but if she had been, she would still be capable of shooting--and with the big LCD of the G1 or Pen, I suspect could handle it, though certainly challenged.

Diane

Last edited:

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Brian,
Good news.....
We doin need no stinkin' E-P2 nohow....

But the M9.... Well that there is anutter
story....
Don