Site Sponsors

Thread: Images and Ideas

pnd1

Images and Ideas

Just a note to let you know that I've produced a new book through Blurb.com entitled "Images and ideas -- another way of looking of looking at travel photography." It features 160 images, including a number of them made with my new G1 system. The images are displayed as pairs, and each pair represents an idea in itself. You can preview the book and/or order a copy in any of three different formats by clicking on the link below:

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/725070

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Images and Ideas

Looks wonderful Phil, very nice.

Cheers,

pnd1

Thanks, Simon-- it's my first attempt using Blurb to design and print a book, and I was delighted with the result. My images reproduced very well.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Phil, looks very interesting, may order a copy

pnd1

Thanks, Lily, I am honored that you are thinking of ordering a copy of my new book. I hope it will help you discover a way to create new meanings by pairing your own images.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Phil,

I'm sorry - I linked to your dpreview post in another post around here earlier today.

My only regret is that you didn't include the commentary with each of your images - the added value is immense imho, and while the images are of your usual terrific standard - I don't think I'd buy the book as it stands.

Would you consider creating a 2nd version of the book which includes your commentary?

Thanks for undertaking this project - your work deserves to be presented in this manner... in fact, perhaps if successful you could get a conventional print commission?

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pnd1 View Post
    Thanks, Simon-- it's my first attempt using Blurb to design and print a book, and I was delighted with the result. My images reproduced very well.
    Phil,

I used Blurb for a book also and I was very pleased with the results. The software is (or at least, was) a bit funky, but the overall end product is excellent.

Cheers,

pnd1

Thanks, Brian, for your suggestion regarding publishing a version of this book with instructive commentary. I did not want to duplicate in printed book form what I already do on-line, so I created "Images and Ideas" with an entirely different purpose in mind. Rather than teaching expressive photography in its pages (which I do on my pbase site), I wanted to let the images in this book work on their own, without instructive commentary, as pairings. I hope that this book can offer expressive photographers many insights into photographic meanings achieved by pairing two images together. At least that was my intention in producing this book.

pnd1

Thanks, Simon, for your observations on Blurb.com. I agree -- the software can be a bit cumbersome at times, but it did allow me -- a design neophyte -- to produce a book that comes out looking pretty much as I desired. I am glad you are as happy with your own blurb book as I am with mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Phil, I like the concept and the pairings I've looked at so far. Your photos are quite wonderful.

Small groupings/sets of photo make a lot of sense for presentation on walls and elsewhere. Putting the set together is both challenging and rewarding when it works well.
    Best regards,
    John.
    http://jburnett.ca

pnd1

Thanks, John, for your thoughts on presenting images in multiple relationships. All too often, photographers will think only of an image as an entity unto itself. Yet the ideas contained within a single image can be greatly enhanced when viewed along with additional images. The picture story, the picture sequence, the photo-essay, the photo-exhibit, are all examples of this. At the core of all of these forms of presentation is the picture pairing. When we play one image against another, the meaning in both can be greatly enhanced and perhaps a third meaning will emerge as well. And that is what I've tried to demonstrate in this new book.