The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How well does the E410 stand up to recent offerings?

davemillier

I'm thinking of the 620, G1 and EP1 in respect of A3 sized prints at base ISO. Has anyone done any careful print comparisons? I ask because I really appreciate the compact size and low weight of the 410 and its twin kit lenses but I got and end of line sell off so cheap that psychologically I've had difficulty of thinking of the camera as anything but an obsolete toy.

It would be especially nice if I could convince myself it was good enough to do the job muy 450D currently does ;-)

kevinparis

You have the camera...take pictures with it ... print them out... If they meet your standards then it is good enough. If you have the canon do the same.. make the decision on your criteria.

print tests and comparisons are pretty meaningless because they are all done with someone elses photos.

Most of the skill, precision and magic in photography is in the photographer ... not the camera.

most ordinary people don't judge a photo by what camera it was taken with but by how the photo connects to them emotionally.

K

davemillier

Edited:

Sound advice I'm sure; although my printer has been out of action for a month awaiting a CIS. With the recent price rises, one set of carts for the R2400 exceed the cost of the E410 kit...

There is a serious reason for asking the question. I've decided I want to move to the lowest weight and size kit I can get away with. The G1 is an obvious candidate but I'd rather not spend the money if the 410 is still there or thereabouts.

ps

re: your comment about camera vs photographer, I'm feeling rather pleased with myself, as I have been shortlisted TWICE for the final of the 2009 UK Landscape Photographer of the year award. Both shots taken with ancient cameras too.

You have the camera...take pictures with it ... print them out... If they meet your standards then it is good enough. If you have the canon do the same.. make the decision on your criteria.

print tests and comparisons are pretty meaningless because they are all done with someone elses photos.

Most of the skill, precision and magic in photography is in the photographer ... not the camera.

most ordinary people don't judge a photo by what camera it was taken with but by how the photo connects to them emotionally.

K

kevinparis

genuine congrats on your nominations...best of luck.

not being a landscape photographer i really have little input quality wise regarding the various models. I have a 510 which i am very happy with.. and am expecting and EP-1 anytime now... but I am more a street/social/doucumentary photographer so my criteria are different

cheers

K

davemillier

Hi Kevin

I usually buy my stuff from warehouseexpress. Current price is £15.99 per cart * 9 = £151 +PP.

I paid £179 for my 410 + kit lenses from PC world. I exaggerated a little - but not by much.

By way of contrast, I paid £220 for a Lyson CIS kit due to arrive by the end of the week. Includes ink equivalent to 6 complete sets of cartridges. Fingers crossed it proves reliable...

just as an aside.. you were complaining about cost of ink for r2400

http://www.inkmasters.co.uk/acatalog/Epson_Stylus_Photo_R2400_Printer_Ink_Cartridges.html

seems like a full set of inks were £110 ... you implied this was more than a 410 with twin lenes!!!!

kevinparis

dave

thanks for that.. I am in early stages of looking at a good printer... especially one that does good b/w. Had not heard of lyson as a source of inks

cheers

K

davemillier

http://www.marrutt.com/r2400-cis.php

No opinion as yet as its not due for a few more days

just as an aside.. you were complaining about cost of ink for r2400

http://www.inkmasters.co.uk/acatalog/Epson_Stylus_Photo_R2400_Printer_Ink_Cartridges.html

seems like a full set of inks were £110 ... you implied this was more than a 410 with twin lenes!!!!
dave

thanks for that.. I am in early stages of looking at a good printer... especially one that does good b/w. Had not heard of lyson as a source of inks

cheers

K

O

OzRay

I've got an E410 and it'll do an A3 print no problems; however, of all the past and present sensors, it's the one that has the greatest difficulty in managing wide DR scenes, highlights especially. My E1 and E3 easily bests the E410, as does the E-P1 (Pen). It takes great photos, but it was the first of a new generation of sensors with higher MP and thus had some shortfalls.

Cheers

Ray

Lili

Yes the 410/510 do have less DR than the very latest Oly sensors. However I have also read that at the same time they are well thought of for resolution due to a rather weak anti-aliasing filter.
Myself, I find it easier to take pictures than worry about acquiring the latest and greatest.
My APS-C Pentax DSLRs, do have more DR, esp at higher ISO's. But I far prefer Oly's for my style of working. Like you I started with a e410 2 lens kit which is and was an awesome value.