The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Looking for a sling bag

Rawfa

Hi guys, did anyone ever try the Kata DT-221 sling bag? I'm looking for a sling bag that is not too huge (like the Lowepro SlingShot 100 AW) but that will allow me to take a DSLR, my wallet, keys, may one extra lens and a battery, some papers. Or if not this one then which one would you suggest? I have one that I use on a daily basis but it doesn't protect the camera at all.

Rawfa

The Kata KT A66N could also be a good option but I'm not sure if it may be too small. All the photos I've found are the same and I cannot tell if it has divisions for diffent parts.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I've been using a Think Tank "Skin" bag for awhile now and really like it. Very light, carries a variety of camera/lens combos, and can be worn around the waist or over the shoulder. The bottom unzips to extend the height for longer lenses.

JBurnett

I use the Slingshot 100 when I want the equipment securely on the back, and with occasional access to the equipment. It's not the greatest solution to "work out of", though. When using this bag I often have the camera up front on a neck strap.

A good "softish" shoulder bag slung across the body gives easier/faster access than the Slingshot. I haven't seen either Kata bag, but check the dimensions of the A66N -- internal width is specified at only 2". The A75M is 3.9".

Terry

If it can be a messenger style bag the Terraclime 100 (lowepro) will fit what you want. Note it is not heavily padded if that is a criteria.

Rawfa

It doesn't have to be heavy padded but it must give the equipment some protection.

sc_john

Rafa,

Here's a link to a walk-around bag that I use with E-P1 (or D300).http://www.ameribag.com/catalog/product/11

It can be used as as a sling or over shoulder; it is available in various sizes. Bag has little padding, but a small towel in bottom of bag provides adequate protection (for me). What I like about this bag is that it is very comfortable to carry, and you don't have to take it off to access bag. I do not know availability outside of USA, however.

Good luck,

John

Diane B

Rafa,

What DLSR are you planning to carry?. I have the Slingshot 200 for my 5D kit and the 100 for my G1 (bought originally to use EOS 400D/lenses but its just right for G1). I haven't tried any other Sling so can say much about them.

I only like a Sling when I hike or walk long periods of time with more than 2 lenses--for instance, if I want water, maybe a light sweatshirt, etc. The Sling works pretty well--I can pull it around and change lenses, grab another battery, card, etc., but like a shoulder bag for day to day. If you have an opportunity, try a sling to see if you really want to carry one a lot. I still iike it a lot better than my 2 backpacks--I have a LPMinitrekker (which I need to sell--never used) and an unknown model Delsey which is nice to use as it sits on the ground upright, but still means you have to take it off. That's why the slings have become so popular--as you obviously know.

I sling my shoulder bag (Terraclime these days) over my chest/back and its by my side or pulled to the front to use. That works pretty well, but the TC can only carry a 5D, for instance, with a small zoom or primes--and likely not a second lens. My Domke 6 can handle more but is still light, but my favorite for DSLR is the F3x (I have black). http://www.tiffen.com/displayproduct.html?tablename=domke&itemnum=700-30DThis is a super bag for DLSR, 3 lenses (one mounted) and assorted other things in side pouches, front pocket, back pocket. Its light, easy to work out of, but maybe not the protection you want--altho' throw in a couple of wraps or towel on the bottom and it should be fine.

The F6 http://www.tiffen.com/displayproduct.html?tablename=domke&itemnum=700-60D
can be more or less protective depending upon the insert(s) you choose. The F3x 'slings' better though.

Diane

Hi guys, did anyone ever try the Kata DT-221 sling bag? I'm looking for a sling bag that is not too huge (like the Lowepro SlingShot 100 AW) but that will allow me to take a DSLR, my wallet, keys, may one extra lens and a battery, some papers. Or if not this one then which one would you suggest? I have one that I use on a daily basis but it doesn't protect the camera at all.

JBurnett

Re: Domke F-6

The F6 http://www.tiffen.com/displayproduct.html?tablename=domke&itemnum=700-60D
can be more or less protective depending upon the insert(s) you choose. The F3x 'slings' better though.
Speaking of the F-6, I ran across this similarly-sized canvas bag from Kiesel on the 'net. Don't know if anyone has any experience with them, but they claim a lifetime guarantee, and right now they're dirt cheap (50% off = $25).

http://www.kieselbags.com/shop/product.aspx?id=34

Rawfa

This is more what I'm looking for...but padded for protection. It doesn't really look like a camera bag and it also has lots of useful compartments for my day to day use.

JBurnett

This is more what I'm looking for...but padded for protection. It doesn't really look like a camera bag and it also has lots of useful compartments for my day to day use.
That's a great-looking bag. I think I'd be tempted to try padding it somehow. I have used the removable wrap from the Terraclime in an old canvas "Healthy-Back" bag, but I haven't gotten around to finding better solutions. Kata used to make "modi" kits (protection that you cut and customized yourself) but I think they've been discontinued. Still, you might find some old stock. Crumpler makes removeable photo "buckets", you can purchase Domke inserts, and I'm sure there are others. With some DIY, perhaps there are even cheaper ways to pad.

Last edited:

Diane B

I agree---I like that bag (above). I've used even my 5D and lenses in a comfortable messenger bag in the past with my Domke inserts (I have several--singles, foursies, double)--and put a Zing cover on the camera itself. Worked pretty well with enough protection for me. Its not as convenient as a bag you can easily pull up/out from--or even the Terraclime, but it doesn't look like a camera bag--and it has the added advantage of having pockets to put other things in--Ipod, cell, wallet, book, etc.--works the same as using a day pack, but better for urban use.

Diane

Rawfa

I actually bought this bag for 16€ on a sport's store in Portugal. I love the darn thing but but you can actually see the E-P1's contour when you put it inside of it. I'm going to try to come up with a DIY kind of padding.