Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New M43 GF1 - Possibly

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New M43 GF1 - Possibly

Iain

u4/3 = m4/3 = micro four thirds. A development of the 4/3 or fourthirds standard developed by olympus and panasonic for digital cameras with interchangeable lenses.

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/index.html

should explain a lot

K

Post Thanks / Like

GF-1 is true. No need to doubt since some promotion is ready in mid-Sep.
    And I can tell you that Ricoh is also ready to make a interchangable DC in 4/3 format but unknown sensor size. It might be smaller than 4/3 17x13mm such as 1/1.6" or 2/3" or 1".
    No detail but should be happened before the end of this year.

Wait and see...
    Last edited by pentacon6; 8th August 2009 at 04:41.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevinparis View Post
    Iain

u4/3 = m4/3 = micro four thirds. A development of the 4/3 or fourthirds standard developed by olympus and panasonic for digital cameras with interchangeable lenses.

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/index.html

should explain a lot

K
    Thank you Kevin. I understand 4/3 and I understand micro 4/3. What I don't understand is the 'u'. Is it an abbreviation? Is it a mathematical short-form? Why is it lower case? Just curious.

Best
    Iain

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pentacon6 View Post
    GF-1 is true. No need to doubt since some promotion is ready in mid-Sep.
    And I can tell you that Ricoh is also ready to make a interchangable DC in 4/3 format but unknown sensor size. It might be smaller than 4/3 17x13mm such as 1/1.6" or 2/3" or 1".
    No detail but should be happened before the end of this year.

Wait and see...
    I think Ricoh makes the most user friendly cameras out there, and they really listen to photographers needs. Should be exciting.

Keith

JayCee

Quote Originally Posted by iainmurray View Post
    What I don't understand is the 'u'. Is it an abbreviation? Is it a mathematical short-form? Why is it lower case? Just curious.
    This explains it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just go into the special characters on my mac and get the symbol μ enlarged μ. Not sure why the other is coming out as a u. But I'm too lazy to do that all the time so I usually just use the m.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    Hi

exactly ... my wife likes my G1 more than my 10D, but kept reaching for her favourite A540. The GF sort of looks like it may be a similar physical factor to that which will mean she will like it. I'd go for it with the pancake 17mm in a flash as that won't be far less wide than her A540 and its one less thing to operate (the zoom). She doesn't like my folding screen as she finds it annoying to flip it out and doesn't like to put her eye to the view finder either

I think it'll make a perfect second body
    Why don't you just flip the screen on the G1 around and keep it open for her like on her p&s (if she doesn't like the articulating screen or the viewfinder)? Seems simple enough.
    Last edited by Cindy Flood; 8th August 2009 at 06:48.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JayCee View Post
    This explains it.
    Thank you! I am now enlightened. Does this mean that the micro-miniskirt of fond memory may be called the uMini?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: LX-3 Lookalike

Quote Originally Posted by m3photo View Post
    Now, if only they could finally realize that Bluetooth here is the perfect connection for a separate EVF
    The bandwidth required for a video screen is far too high for bluetooth...twould be very cool tho.

JayCee

Quote Originally Posted by iainmurray View Post
    Thank you! I am now enlightened. Does this mean that the micro-miniskirt of fond memory may be called the uMini?
    Or the μMini

Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JayCee View Post
    This explains it.
    Nice info but is that the Male Micro?
    What about the Female Micro?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Why don't you just flip the screen on the G1 around and keep it open for her like on her p&s (if she doesn't like the articulating screen or the viewfinder)? Seems simple enough.
    I see ... so you're trying to talk me out of getting more camera gear ;-)

Well, the reason is that I don't want to get it scratched. I don't have the camera in any sort of camera bag, so it is quite likely it will be rubbing up against something. I don't mind my camera looking buffed and worn but not the optical surfaces ... if the screen qualifies as that?

I could put a screen protector on it ... but then why not just flip it around?

;-)

anyway ... I don't genuinely think that's the only reason she prefers hers ... she doesn't want to have an "intimidating" camera. So I was thinking that an E-P1 would fit, then when this camera came up ... I'm delaying purchasing till I see this one in more details.

Also, I've had a gut-full of multiple batteries and chargers, so if the GF shares the battery / charger with the G1 then it'll be a point in its favour over the E-P1

CharlieH

Quote Originally Posted by Y.B.Hudson III View Post
    I'm waiting for a new improved sensor... with better corner performance... and increase in native speed... anything more is just dreaming of putting lipstick on a pig...
    Quote Originally Posted by pentacon6 View Post
    True, also what we more worry about is that how will the new sensor change?
    As we know, APS-C size sensor is already facing the bottle neck of the pixel increment to the physical limit of 15MP, so do the 4/3 sensor。Pushing to a higher level, said 20MP or 24MP should be too harsh to maintain the image quality.

Theoretically, 4/3 format has room to increase the sensor size from double to quadro (32 X 24mm... wow!), which reaches almost the same size of FF. But it also violates the lens compatibilities since the back flange distance should be change to fit in a bigger mirror. Then, a live view quadro size 48MP camera may achieve. Or even more crazy idea may come that a mirror-less M4/3 48MP camera in the future. But of course, quadro image processors may need to deal with such huge amount of data.
    Just to throw out a vastly off topic, crazy prediction on the future of big sensors in small cameras with small lenses, my bet is that we will eventually have curved sensors. They can make flexible organic led screens now so it doesn't seem that far down the road to build photo sites on the inside of a spherical section. It seems, (I'm guessing really), that would vastly simplify lens design since the back focus would be the same distance to all points on the sensor instead of longer to the corners. Then it would seem to be trivial to map the curved image to a flat plane in processing.

After all, fish-eye lenses give curved images projected onto flat planes. Seems like a curved sensor would flatten them out automatically.

ch

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Bluetooth

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    The bandwidth required for a video screen is far too high for bluetooth...
    Thanks for the explanation, I didn't have a clue. Thick people like me just "invent" what they wish for without knowing the technical impediments - however, Ignorance is Bliss as they say.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi

Well, the reason is that I don't want to get it scratched. I don't have the camera in any sort of camera bag, so it is quite likely it will be rubbing up against something. I don't mind my camera looking buffed and worn but not the optical surfaces ... if the screen qualifies as that?

;-)....snip....
    And what will be the difference with the E-P1 or the GF1??? But, hey, who am I to stop your gear buying habit???... (me with 2x G1 and E-P1).

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well it is time for back to school announcements. My kid already started school. I may have to delay that Ep-1 purchase
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

for all you mac users ALT + m gives you µ

I am sure windows people can do the same... it probably involves 13 keystrokes, and a service pack :-)

K

Post Thanks / Like

µµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµµ µµµ

so easy : ALTGR+M

Klaus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Well it is time for back to school announcements. My kid already started school. I may have to delay that Ep-1 purchase
    You, sir, have some screwed up priorities. My son's pants still fit...they just are closer to shorts now (he's 12). And duct tape works wonders on shoes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    And what will be the difference with the E-P1 or the GF1???
    something which is perhaps only in my mind ... having had a broken screen on another camera its something I'm a bit 'iffy' about. We have a 'case' for the Canon, and I could imagine putting one on a GF assuming it only had the pancake. I can't imagine that would work well for the G1 ... I've tried a few cases they were either too small or it swam in them. My EOS 630 has some nice marks where it went for a slide down the road while it was round my neck when I came off my XT600 one year ...

But, hey, who am I to stop your gear buying habit???... (me with 2x G1 and E-P1).
    well, I've been rationaizing .. sold the APS body DSLR, kept the 35mm film SLR, sold one of the 6x9 film cameras ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    You, sir, have some screwed up priorities. My son's pants still fit...they just are closer to shorts now (he's 12). And duct tape works wonders on shoes.
    Well unfortunately the Phoenix school districts are totally screwed up. Starting kids back to school on August 6th with 113 degree temps is just sick thinking. Totally ruins our vacations every year
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
    ...my bet is that we will eventually have curved sensors.....
    Just like the original 8x11 mm Minox (1936 for the "Ur-Minox"), where the narrow filmstrip was pressed into a distinct curve before exposure....

This, however (along with diffraction considerations, no doubt) dictated that the lens had to be used wide open (f/3.5) at all times, since the curvature of field would have changed when stopping down. Obviously, this would be a major problem for a camera with curved sensor as well.

And, we´d have to forget using legacy lenses with adapters....

Post Thanks / Like

Well unfortunately the Phoenix school districts are totally screwed up. Starting kids back to school on August 6th with 113 degree temps is just sick thinking. Totally ruins our vacations every year
    We were up in Big Bear for vacation last week and they had just started school. But at least there is was only up in the 80's. Thankfully my son doesn't start until after labor day.

I hear it's a dry heat though

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Like a easy bake oven.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You should follow Voltaire's advice -- when I have money, I buy cameras; if there's any left over, I buy food and clothes.
    Sláinte

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Campbell View Post
    You should follow Voltaire's advice -- when I have money, I buy cameras; if there's any left over, I buy food and clothes.

I will tell that one to the wife and see how far I get these days. LOL

Good theory but mine is buy and explain later. That saying in the Buy and Sell did not come from thin air.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

... ot: minox hoo hah

Quote Originally Posted by Per Ofverbeck View Post
    ... This, however (along with diffraction considerations, no doubt) dictated that the lens had to be used wide open (f/3.5) at all times, since the curvature of field would have changed when stopping down.
    Actually, it was Walter Zapp's ambition to simplify use of the camera as much as possible that drove him to use a fixed aperture lens. His original format was even smaller than 8x11 mm to maximize depth of field, obviating the need to stop down, but he had a lot of problems getting a lens that would produce adequate quality results. The original f/3.5 Anastigmat lens was good for its day but nowhere near the quality of the post-war five- and then four-element Complans, designed by an ex-Leica engineer in Wetzlar after the Riga plant was long gone. He doubled the format size to 8x11 to accommodate the quality needs, which still allowed 6' to infinity focus simplicity at the hyperfocal setting.

The beauty of the Riga Minox for a user was that all you needed to do was set distance and shutter speed. Set to the 12' hyperfocal, that reduced to setting the shutter speed ... simplicity itself in the perception of the 1930s. :-)

Reformulation of the Complan 15mm f/3.5 lens to the Minox 15mm f/3.5 lens in the early 1970s (somewhere during the production run of the Minox C model, IIRC) obviated the need for the curved pressure plate to achieve the same corner/edge resolution, and so that feature was dropped to save money.

Nice to know there's another Minox 8x11 enthusiast on the forum. I still have a brace of them, and was delighted to be a judge on the Minox Historical Society's 2008-2009 photo competition. Pop into Minox.org if you care to browse the competition picks.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want another (and it sure sounds as though you do LOL), go for it. You can share--but--turning the LCD around doesn't qualify for why you SHOULDN'T do it that way--you just turn it out when using. But, if she likes a smaller, less 'in your face' then the Pen or GF-1 would be a great second choice.

Diane

Hi

;-)

anyway ... I don't genuinely think that's the only reason she prefers hers ... she doesn't want to have an "intimidating" camera. So I was thinking that an E-P1 would fit, then when this camera came up ... I'm delaying purchasing till I see this one in more details.

Also, I've had a gut-full of multiple batteries and chargers, so if the GF shares the battery / charger with the G1 then it'll be a point in its favour over the E-P1

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that's earlier than even here in NC. Ours start next week I think. It was a big change when they moved from after Labor Day to in mid August (think back to a time when it was a much more rural state with kids working in the fields with their families).

I hope Phoenix has AC in the classrooms--I think all our schools do except perhaps VERY old small schools and maybe even window ACs) or in the mts. Then--the kids are cooler than at home or outside except for sports.

Guy--you don't really need one anyhow LOL. And--if you give it time, more choices.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree I am going to wait it out a little this Panny sounds interesting and a few others . My 19 year daughter has her eye on my G10 and I may just have to give that up to her. She likes to shoot and is pretty good too. Must be the genes. LOL

So if I do that I will need something, sounds like a good excuse to me. LOL

BTW I played with the EP-1 at B&H a few weeks ago . Really reminded me of the M8 without finder of course but I do still love that camera style. But the LCD was a little on the dark side and outside may cause some issues with the bright sun here. Maybe a Hoodman fold up hood would be a nice option on these types of camera's

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by barjohn View Post
    I posted the following in the LUF:
    Here is a quote from the Annual Report:

Product risks
    There is considerable risk from the continuing acceleration of
    product life cycles in the digital camera sector. The key digital
    technologies and the timely market introduction of products
    are essential for the Company’s corporate success and the
    continuation of the Company as a going concern. Alliances
    with reliable technology partners constitute a vital part of the
    process both in the field of digital compact cameras and in
    the field of digital system cameras.

As a result of the sales slump due to the global eco -
    nomic crisis, as well as a result of delays in the development
    and market introduction of products there are considerable
    risks concerning the continuation of the Company as a going
    concern as at the end of the fiscal year.

Accountants must address the risks of whether the company will continue as a "going concern." Leica has put forth several restructuring plans but the statement above means that their is very significant risk that it may not continue as a going concern. If you read the report you will see both sales and debt repayment risks that could put the company at risk.
    That was shockingly obvious the company would be in trouble, fiddling around with a dubious M8, then a silly S2, instead of going to FF- R straight, pushing FT then MFT now.
    Someone ever knew why they fired their boss last time ? Because he was right may be !
    I don't need a rebadged camera for double the price, that's a kind of marketing which helps to get into the drain as well.

Pana in return does its best to fulfill its customers hopes & dreams. This GF1 is a long time dream for many. But if you add an EVF to it , you already have it with the GH1.
    The idea here is maximum compactness, something "pocketable".
    That's the reason why I think the new comer won't make much sens with an external EVF, but should come with a first rate 960000 screen ! Bellow that the aim would be half missed.
    For the same reason, a serie of pancake lenses are a deep cry and the 17 is hardly wide enough ! 10 & 14mm are awaited !

My Nikon compact film camera had a lousy OFV which was not protruding, zooming with the lens. That was all what we had and it did the job. Why not working back on that to make it from lousy to good !

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The following is an important accountants statement:

As a result of the sales slump due to the global eco -
    nomic crisis, as well as a result of delays in the development
    and market introduction of products there are considerable
    risks concerning the continuation of the Company as a going
    concern as at the end of the fiscal year.
    I haven't read the annual report. How much debt do they have? How much stock does Kaufmann own?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kaufman owns the majority of the shares. He lent the company €8,000,000 which he is deferring collection on if I read it correctly. Additionally Panasonic lent Leica €20,000,000 that comes due 9/2011 however the rate increases over time such that the current balance is €20,312,000. It is this latter debt that has the accountant worried.
    V/r John

Ranger 9

This GF1 is a long time dream for many. But if you add an EVF to it , you already have it with the GH1.
    The idea here is maximum compactness, something "pocketable".
    That's the reason why I think the new comer won't make much sens with an external EVF...
    It makes sense to me. If you don't want an EVF (and look at the millions of compact-digicam users who seem perfectly happy without one) then you can leave it off and have maximum portability.

But if you do want an EVF (if you're going out in the sun, for example) then you can add one on. You don't need to buy two cameras to have your "versatile" camera and your "compact" camera.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting.

In that event it would appear that Panasonic would likely negotiate to take controlling interest in exchange for debt.

Kaufman owns the majority of the shares. He lent the company €8,000,000 which he is deferring collection on if I read it correctly. Additionally Panasonic lent Leica €20,000,000 that comes due 9/2011 however the rate increases over time such that the current balance is €20,312,000. It is this latter debt that has the accountant worried.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 9 View Post
    It makes sense to me. If you don't want an EVF (and look at the millions of compact-digicam users who seem perfectly happy without one) then you can leave it off and have maximum portability.

But if you do want an EVF (if you're going out in the sun, for example) then you can add one on. You don't need to buy two cameras to have your "versatile" camera and your "compact" camera.
    I completely agree with everything except you don't need to buy two cameras. Every girl needs more than one camera!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I completely agree with everything except you don't need to buy two cameras. Every girl needs more than one camera!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Then I am FIVE girls

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I fully agree with this, what "I think" they will do is most probably different from my own wishes. I just hope to be wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hot View Post
    Then I am FIVE girls
    I'm at least five girls too.

This is the camera Leica should have made as a Leica Digital CL. Maybe it is?

Post Thanks / Like

I agree here too, OR, you can shove on a OVF.

The EVF is probably no higher or bigger than the faux pentaprism on the G1.

I wonder though if the OVF/EVFs would work better if clipped to the left side of the camera, then it would become more Leica RF like and leave the hot shoe free for other stuff - flash, bubble level.... coffee machine

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    ... The EVF is probably no higher or bigger than the faux pentaprism on the G1.

I wonder though if the OVF/EVFs would work better if clipped to the left side of the camera, then it would become more Leica RF like ...
    The 'faux' pentaprism housing on the G1 is the flash housing, built over the EVF assembly. I don't know what's 'faux' about it other than people seem to respond to it as if it were a styling priority.

Parallax compensation is much easier to visualize if the viewfinder is in line with the lens axis. Note that accessory finders installed on a Leica M are on the lens axis ... since they don't have the mobile frameline mechanism of the built in rangefinder/viewfinder, it makes it easy to position a couple of small marks to indicate parallax compensation.

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    The 'faux' pentaprism housing on the G1 is the flash housing, built over the EVF assembly. I don't know what's 'faux' about it other than people seem to respond to it as if it were a styling priority.
    I too, have always been puzzled by people's reaction to the "bump" on the top of the G1. The EP-1 is not much smaller than the G1. Oly engineers overcame the problem of achieving a flat top by leaving out the flash and the EVF - when they put them in, the EP-1 will be bigger than the G1.

Form follows function.

Keith

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woodmancy View Post
    I too, have always been puzzled by people's reaction to the "bump" on the top of the G1.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the G1, I don't mean it in a demeaning way, but how else do you describe it? It looks like a pentaprism housing - perhaps I picked up someone else's description. My point is that adding the removable EVF will not amount to more than the fixed G1 housing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the G1, I don't mean it in a demeaning way, but how else do you describe it? It looks like a pentaprism housing - perhaps I picked up someone else's description. My point is that adding the removable EVF will not amount to more than the fixed G1 housing.
    The thing is it's not 'faux' in any way shape or form. The EVF assembly in the G1 is quite large and fills the hump the same way a prism would.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Exactly. It's properly referred to as 'the EVF housing' or 'the flash housing'. Referring to it as something related to a pentaprism is incorrect. 'Faux pentprism' is a label used by many who seek to disparage the G1's design.

Post Thanks / Like

And--a bit off the form of the G1--I'm actually wondering if I may not buy a GH1 as my second m4/3rds body instead of the GF-1. Initially, I thought--just the camera for me for second body--and I may still go that way, but functionally, the G1 suits me exactly. I have to wonder, for my style of shooting, if I need a slimmer body--having to add (probably) an accessory EVF most of the time. I'm just not sure--after the bloom as left the roses, so to speak LOL. I was excited with the possibility as I was with the Pen--but considering it very carefully, I wonder if I would use it any differently than I do the G1--and if so, the G1 really suits me. I prefer the more rangefinder form but I use and like the grip, I like the tilt LCD sometimes, I know I like the EVF--so what's not to like about the G1/GH1 except its not as classic/retro looking. Godfrey has said many times--and I concur--its a tool, and the m4/3rds format works best FOR ME in the G1 form.

The one thing in its favor--for me--is that I could tuck the GF1 in a bag to carry along as a 'second' more easily. Good thing it appears I have time to think about this LOL.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

yehh... Saw some GH1 f00tage with the 7-14... impressive... [email protected] wouLd be my leaning.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    And--a bit off the form of the G1--I'm actually wondering if I may not buy a GH1 as my second m4/3rds body instead of the GF-1. Initially, I thought--just the camera for me for second body--and I may still go that way, but functionally, the G1 suits me exactly. I have to wonder, for my style of shooting, if I need a slimmer body--having to add (probably) an accessory EVF most of the time. I'm just not sure--after the bloom as left the roses, so to speak LOL. I was excited with the possibility as I was with the Pen--but considering it very carefully, I wonder if I would use it any differently than I do the G1--and if so, the G1 really suits me. I prefer the more rangefinder form but I use and like the grip, I like the tilt LCD sometimes, I know I like the EVF--so what's not to like about the G1/GH1 except its not as classic/retro looking. Godfrey has said many times--and I concur--its a tool, and the m4/3rds format works best FOR ME in the G1 form.

The one thing in its favor--for me--is that I could tuck the GF1 in a bag to carry along as a 'second' more easily. Good thing it appears I have time to think about this LOL.

Diane
    Diane, I feel the same about the G1. It is really perfect for my needs and I have no complaints about design. The E-P1 is a pretty little camera, but in terms of performance and file quality (so far) I prefer the G1. I'm going to wait for LR support for the E-P1 and make a more rigorous comparison with the G1, but I have the feeling that the E-P1 is going to end up in my wife's purse. I'm also not crazy about clip on finders so if the GF1 specs are as they appear now I will probably pass on that one as well.

Carl

Post Thanks / Like

I got really excited about the GF1 when I saw this thread, and I've been thinking of buying one to complement the G1 my wife and I use now, but I guess I'm having seconds thoughts. The plan was to sell the G1 and get a GH1 and a GF1. The GF1 would be intended as basically a point-and-shoot purse camera for my wife with the 20/1.7 lens on it (I'd been looking at the LX3, but the GF1 fits the bill and it has interchangeable lenses!), while we'd take the GH1 on more dedicated photo shoots and use it to take videos.

Now the more I think about it, the more I'm wondering about just getting the 20/1.7 lens and turning the G1 into the compact purse camera for the wife, while still getting the GH1 for everything else. I'm just not sure how much smaller and lighter the GF1 would be compared to the G1 when both have the pancake lens on them. It seems the only difference in the two bodies is the VF and the slightly thicker body on the G1 due to the flip screen. Would it really be THAT much bulkier than the GF1 to justify trying to sell the G1, and losing the VF and the flip screen? My wife likes taking photos using the viewfinder, so that alone may be enough to vote against the GF1 for us.