The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New M43 GF1 - Possibly

barjohn

Too bad it doesn't have built in anti shake. If we could get Panny and Oly to combine forces and build a camera in the GF-1 size with EVF and Oly internal anti-shake and Panny AF and Oly build quality...WOW!!!!

Godfrey

Too bad it doesn't have built in anti shake. If we could get Panny and Oly to combine forces and build a camera in the GF-1 size with EVF and Oly internal anti-shake and Panny AF and Oly build quality...WOW!!!!
Give me fast lenses instead.

I don't need IS, at least for anything in the 7 to 70 mm range, if I have fast lenses. ;-)

pellicle

If this is for real, I could see dumping my APS-C gear and just having a pair of u4/3 bodies along with a smattering of Leica u4/3 lenses.
I already did just that :)

big smiles this end as I've been contemplating the E-P1 but this little beastie would be HOT

P

PeterLeyssens

Leica's annual report just published alludes to a midrange system camera made by a partner along with lenses to be announced and sold during this current fiscal year for Leica. Maybe a rebadged version of this camera is it.
That would be great news: I've always liked the Leica versions over the Panasonic ones. They're just a tad more stylish. This GF-1 looks great when looking at the possible specs, particularly the size and the clip-on EVF. But like most Panasonic cameras, it hardly has a character of its own.

Even before this leak was published, I had already decided not to go for the E-P1 yet. It's just what I need, mostly, but a viewfinder is still a nice to have. Looking forward to the announcements in the coming months. I *will* switch to m43 one day, but not just yet. Anyway, I just received my OM-43 convertor ring with focus confirmation that will keep me busy for some time :thumbup: It feels lovely to be able to use my 50/f1.4 and 90/f2 macro again. Pictures following as soon as I find a PC with a CF slot !

Peter.

hot

If indeed this has an EVF I will be ecstatic.
Best would be a moveable EVF - like RICOH.
This would be perfect - with high resolution.

But then size is ~ same like GH1 - and no moveable display, no fullHD 1920x1080, no stereo (? ? ?)

Last edited:

Y.B.Hudson III

I'm waiting for a new improved sensor... with better corner performance... and increase in native speed... anything more is just dreaming of putting lipstick on a pig...

pentacon6

I'm waiting for a new improved sensor... with better corner performance... and increase in native speed... anything more is just dreaming of putting lipstick on a pig...
True, also what we more worry about is that how will the new sensor change?
As we know, APS-C size sensor is already facing the bottle neck of the pixel increment to the physical limit of 15MP, so do the 4/3 sensor。Pushing to a higher level, said 20MP or 24MP should be too harsh to maintain the image quality.

Theoretically, 4/3 format has room to increase the sensor size from double to quadro (32 X 24mm... wow!), which reaches almost the same size of FF. But it also violates the lens compatibilities since the back flange distance should be change to fit in a bigger mirror. Then, a live view quadro size 48MP camera may achieve. Or even more crazy idea may come that a mirror-less M4/3 48MP camera in the future. But of course, quadro image processors may need to deal with such huge amount of data.

A rumors has been heard that 1.3X crop factor Pentax DSLR may available in 2010 1st season. This may be a boom to the market that 1.3X crop factor become a new benchmark or market segment. However, we hear not much technology break through of 4/3 format so far.

I am not quite confidence on a great leap of pixel from 12MP to 14-15MP. A bigger sensor might be the solution but also a dilemma to the manufacturer and the user when the system change. May be I am too pessimistic but I think it is really a problem that Pany and Oly should face. Hope they are hearing or doing something already.

Last edited:
R

Ranger 9

Barjohn's got an intriguing notion there; wouldn't be the first time Pana and Leica had collaborated on this type of strategy! It also might explain why Pana hasn't said anything about this camera in their "roadmap" -- they might want to let Leica announce it first.

What especially strikes me, though, is Pana's astuteness in building out a two-pronged "product line" for its Micro 4/3 offerings. This will give them the existing compact but DSLR-shaped G1/GH1 for people who want all the features in a slightly larger size... plus the more compact GF line for people who will accept a slightly reduced feature set (no swivel LCD, no 1080 movie mode) in return for a more compact size (with the option of adding an EVF if and when you want it... assuming the "mystery slot" below the hot shoe is an EVF connector and not, say, an external-mic connector.)

I suspect a lot of existing G1/GH1 customers also would want this new camera as a companion to it... in fact, one site coyly suggested that the "GF" stands for "girlfriend." [As in, your GH1 needs a girlfriend -- something smaller and cuter, but capable and smart.] Talk about personalizing the product line!

Which is weird, in a Japanesely kawai sort of way, but on the other hand, it might be genius. I'll bet a lot of married/attached male readers don't have any trouble imagining the following type of conversation:

"Listen, if we're going to buy any more cameras, I want something I can use. I'm just as good a photographer as you, but I need something small. I'm the one who has to carry a purse -- which has a lot of your junk in it, by the way -- so I don't want to carry a camera bag like you do."

"Well then, how about this new Panasonic? The controls and menus are just like our GH1 and we could share the same set of lenses, but it's a lot more compact."

Pana ain't dumb...

C

Chuck A

If this is for real, I could see dumping my APS-C gear and just having a pair of u4/3 bodies along with a smattering of Leica u4/3 lenses.

*if*
I am right there with you.

For a electronics firm Panasonic has turned into quite a good camera maker. I have owned a few of their offerings and they have been very nice. They get praises from the forum members here and elsewhere.

Now I am excited. This appears to be the camera I have been waiting for. Cross my fingers and hope that it is not a dud.

Terry

Barjohn's got an intriguing notion there; wouldn't be the first time Pana and Leica had collaborated on this type of strategy! It also might explain why Pana hasn't said anything about this camera in their "roadmap" -- they might want to let Leica announce it first.

What especially strikes me, though, is Pana's astuteness in building out a two-pronged "product line" for its Micro 4/3 offerings. This will give them the existing compact but DSLR-shaped G1/GH1 for people who want all the features in a slightly larger size... plus the more compact GF line for people who will accept a slightly reduced feature set (no swivel LCD, no 1080 movie mode) in return for a more compact size (with the option of adding an EVF if and when you want it... assuming the "mystery slot" below the hot shoe is an EVF connector and not, say, an external-mic connector.)

I suspect a lot of existing G1/GH1 customers also would want this new camera as a companion to it... in fact, one site coyly suggested that the "GF" stands for "girlfriend." [As in, your GH1 needs a girlfriend -- something smaller and cuter, but capable and smart.] Talk about personalizing the product line!

Which is weird, in a Japanesely kawai sort of way, but on the other hand, it might be genius. I'll bet a lot of married/attached male readers don't have any trouble imagining the following type of conversation:

"Listen, if we're going to buy any more cameras, I want something I can use. I'm just as good a photographer as you, but I need something small. I'm the one who has to carry a purse -- which has a lot of your junk in it, by the way -- so I don't want to carry a camera bag like you do."

"Well then, how about this new Panasonic? The controls and menus are just like our GH1 and we could share the same set of lenses, but it's a lot more compact."

Pana ain't dumb...
Except that Leica said they didn't like the 4/3 sensor size.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
I would imagine Panny is reading the post about the Pen.
If they actually implement the improvements desired for the Pen, they will have a shot at a good camera. Hopefully Pen will do this before the release of the Panny.
At any rate, the Pen is more Elegant. The Panny has much to compete with while the Pen only has to compete against itself.
Time will tell, till then, the Pen is a real nice,
working DREAM...
Shooter

Rawfa

I'm thinking Pana will put a 650us$ price tag on this babe so that they may sweep Oly's EP-1 sales.

Will

Stick a bit of black tape over that silly bit of chrome in the grip and it would start to look quite cool.

barjohn

I posted the following in the LUF:
Here is a quote from the Annual Report:

Product risks
There is considerable risk from the continuing acceleration of
product life cycles in the digital camera sector. The key digital
technologies and the timely market introduction of products
are essential for the Company’s corporate success and the
continuation of the Company as a going concern. Alliances
with reliable technology partners constitute a vital part of the
process both in the field of digital compact cameras and in
the field of digital system cameras.

Notice that technology partners is given important prominence here and later.

The following is an important accountants statement:

As a result of the sales slump due to the global eco -
nomic crisis, as well as a result of delays in the development
and market introduction of products there are considerable
risks concerning the continuation of the Company as a going
concern as at the end of the fiscal year.

Accountants must address the risks of whether the company will continue as a "going concern." Leica has put forth several restructuring plans but the statement above means that their is very significant risk that it may not continue as a going concern. If you read the report you will see both sales and debt repayment risks that could put the company at risk.

With its analogue and digital system cameras Leica
Camera Group is to gain a solid position in the upper market
segment. The Company plans, in cooperation with a partner,
to supplement its portfolio in the medium and upper price
segments by digital compact cameras, thereby increasing its
share in the market. There are initial prototype projects tar -
get ing further market segments for high-grade lenses.

Are we talking Panasonic's new M4/3rds GF-1? Now you will get to use your R lenses. Of course you could have purchased the G1, or GH-1 or Oly E-P1 and done the same thing allready.

For all product lines marketing and sales are uncompro -
misingly geared towards the upper price segment. Structures
are being adjusted, and the Company presses ahead with the
implementation of the Top Dealer Concept, as well as the harmonisation
of prices.

Don't expect cheap, even for rebadged.

I think the annual report points to a desperate need for Leica to bring out new products beyond the S2 if they are to survive. It also appears that they know their best bet is to use a technology partner to accomplish this as they need to reduce costs and can't afford the costs of developing another camera (read all of their proposed cost cutting plans in the report). Annual reports are funny things in that they are legally required to disclose risks and bad news but management does their best to paint the best possible picture in their choice of words. Those of you that have gone through this process with a certified accounting firm know that when an accounting firm raises questions about the firm being a "going concern" it means things are not good. Leica does its best to minimize the impact of this statement.

The following is taken from the auditor's report:

Without qualifying our opinion, we draw attention to the
observation made by the Board of Management in the Group
management report, in the section headed »Risk management
of Leica Camera Group«, that the continuation of the
Company as a going concern is dependent on the successful
implementation of the restructuring measures resolved, as
well as on sufficient financing.
Frankfurt, June 26, 2009
BDO Deutsche Warentreuhand Aktiengesellschaft
Wirtschaftsprüfungsgesellschaft
Dr. Rosien Bauer
Wirtschaftsprüfer Wirtschaftsprüferin

I think that Leica will change its position on 4/3rds as I fail to see what other options lie before them. Maybe they can produce and ship an M9 during the current FY but I think that is more wishful thinking.

On another note, I am wondering whether the new backlight sensor developed by Sony might find its way into 4/3rds. As I understand it, on larger sensors the wiring blocking the photo receptors isn't as much of an issue and thus might not produce the ISO and SN improvement evident in smaller sensors; however, if one doubled the pixel count to 24mp on the 4/3rds sensor but used the backlight approach to keep high ISO and better SN then it might be a really interesting sensor producing resolution more like the bigger SLRs.

All of the above is some food for thought. :)

nostatic

A rumors has been heard that 1.3X crop factor Pentax DSLR may available in 2010 1st season. This may be a boom to the market that 1.3X crop factor become a new benchmark or market segment. However, we hear not much technology break through of 4/3 format so far. .
Got a pointer to this rumor? Hadn't heard it before.

Rawfa

Forget all of that; just manage to squeeze a D90 sensor into micro four thirds body ;-)
Actually I'd be happy with just a DP3 with a micro four thirds lens mount.
Whatever happened to the Samsung NX camera? The sensor was bigger than the DP1/DP2's and the micro four thirds and the size of the actual camera was about the same as the G1. It is supposed to be out on the second half of 2009...just 5 more month to go.