The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New M43 GF1 - Possibly

pellicle

Hi

I suspect a lot of existing G1/GH1 customers also would want this new camera as a companion to it... in fact, one site coyly suggested that the "GF" stands for "girlfriend." [As in, your GH1 needs a girlfriend -- something smaller and cuter, but capable and smart.] Talk about personalizing the product line!
exactly ... my wife likes my G1 more than my 10D, but kept reaching for her favourite A540. The GF sort of looks like it may be a similar physical factor to that which will mean she will like it. I'd go for it with the pancake 17mm in a flash as that won't be far less wide than her A540 and its one less thing to operate (the zoom). She doesn't like my folding screen as she finds it annoying to flip it out and doesn't like to put her eye to the view finder either

I think it'll make a perfect second body

henningw

If this is for real, I could see dumping my APS-C gear and just having a pair of u4/3 bodies along with a smattering of Leica u4/3 lenses.

*if*
This is what I have done; Canon 40D and four lenses gone and replaced with the G1 and its three lenses. I would love to add the 20/1.7 if it's decent and maybe the GF1 body. Right now I use my fast Leica lenses on the G1, but the corner performance from the wider lenses isn't that great. When size isn't an issue and low light performance, larger file sizes or snappier SLR performance are needed the 5DII and lenses are still around.

What is really good on the G1 is the performance of the MF Micro Nikkor 200, with and without the TC14B, and the 400/6.8 Telyt. Also the Leica Viso bellows II and Photar lenses.

pentacon6

Got a pointer to this rumor? Hadn't heard it before.
In fact, the rumors has been exposed in about Feb of this year. Since no further proof of it and K7 has been launched recently, the rumors is almost forgotten. However, I got a message from the agency that 1.3x crop factor will be first buster after the restructuring of Pentax with the new holder Kenko.

Whatever it is just a rumors or not, 1.3X is really a threshold of all DSLR makers to face that M4/3 is not the exceptional.

We all know that pixel increment becomes meaningless but an unavoidable game of DC development. But that's how the DC industry being driven. Other than this, Higher ISO with low noise reduction and smaller size should become the battle fields in the coming future.

nostatic

The rumored GF-1 looks a lot like the Lumix LX-3!
More like the LX-4 (LX-3 replacement). This would all make sense. The LX/DLux line was their different/pro-ish cameras. The LX-2/DLux3 had the 16x9 native sensor, the LX-3/Dlux4 had the f2 lens. Going to u4/3 with a few Leica/Panasonic native lenses would make perfect sense for the next step. This would create a more true "son of M-8" for Leica and give Panasonic another notch in the u4/3 lineup.

iainmurray

More like the LX-4 (LX-3 replacement). This would all make sense. The LX/DLux line was their different/pro-ish cameras. The LX-2/DLux3 had the 16x9 native sensor, the LX-3/Dlux4 had the f2 lens. Going to u4/3 with a few Leica/Panasonic native lenses would make perfect sense for the next step. This would create a more true "son of M-8" for Leica and give Panasonic another notch in the u4/3 lineup.
Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is u4/3?

m3photo

Re: LX-3 Lookalike

The rumored GF-1 looks a lot like the Lumix LX-3!
Quite so. I'll be willing to bet that the GF-1 format was really Panasonic's first m4/3rds model but the marketing boys chickened out and preferred to try the market out with something looking more like a "serious" camera, hence the ridiculous (in retrospect) prism lump on the top of the G-1. Now they've firmly established the idea and had positive response for the mirrorless system, even sparking competition from Olympus, they're now refloating the initial "revolutionary" design of their LX-3 lookalike with an m4/3 sensor and interchangeable lens option.
Now, if only they could finally realize that Bluetooth here is the perfect connection for a separate EVF, you could have the viewfinder anywhere within a couple of meters from the camera for it to work and then Kweide could get his "Serious Policeman" shot a little straighter by having the viewfinder to his eye with one hand and the camera behind his back with the other! ;)

V

Vivek

Now, if only they could finally realize that Bluetooth here is the perfect connection for a separate EVF, you could have the viewfinder anywhere within a couple of meters from the camera for it to work
The possibilities of that is endless. Really exciting (and tiring) times.

Tiring because anywhere I go out, even as is, the G1 travels with me and I keep snapping. Hard disks are getting filled up at ~10 to 50Gb/day.

pentacon6

GF-1 is true. No need to doubt since some promotion is ready in mid-Sep.
And I can tell you that Ricoh is also ready to make a interchangable DC in 4/3 format but unknown sensor size. It might be smaller than 4/3 17x13mm such as 1/1.6" or 2/3" or 1".
No detail but should be happened before the end of this year.

Wait and see...

Last edited:

iainmurray

Iain

u4/3 = m4/3 = micro four thirds. A development of the 4/3 or fourthirds standard developed by olympus and panasonic for digital cameras with interchangeable lenses.

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/index.html

should explain a lot

K
Thank you Kevin. I understand 4/3 and I understand micro 4/3. What I don't understand is the 'u'. Is it an abbreviation? Is it a mathematical short-form? Why is it lower case? Just curious.

Best
Iain

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
GF-1 is true. No need to doubt since some promotion is ready in mid-Sep.
And I can tell you that Ricoh is also ready to make a interchangable DC in 4/3 format but unknown sensor size. It might be smaller than 4/3 17x13mm such as 1/1.6" or 2/3" or 1".
No detail but should be happened before the end of this year.

Wait and see...
I think Ricoh makes the most user friendly cameras out there, and they really listen to photographers needs. Should be exciting.

Keith

Terry

I just go into the special characters on my mac and get the symbol μ enlarged μ. Not sure why the other is coming out as a u. But I'm too lazy to do that all the time so I usually just use the m.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Hi

exactly ... my wife likes my G1 more than my 10D, but kept reaching for her favourite A540. The GF sort of looks like it may be a similar physical factor to that which will mean she will like it. I'd go for it with the pancake 17mm in a flash as that won't be far less wide than her A540 and its one less thing to operate (the zoom). She doesn't like my folding screen as she finds it annoying to flip it out and doesn't like to put her eye to the view finder either

I think it'll make a perfect second body
Why don't you just flip the screen on the G1 around and keep it open for her like on her p&s (if she doesn't like the articulating screen or the viewfinder)? Seems simple enough.

Last edited:

monza

Re: LX-3 Lookalike

Now, if only they could finally realize that Bluetooth here is the perfect connection for a separate EVF
The bandwidth required for a video screen is far too high for bluetooth...twould be very cool tho. :)