The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New M43 GF1 - Possibly

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Oh, I have list for the "G2".:D

The white paint on the flimsy buttons on the rear of my first G1 is now gone while LUMIX (engraved and painted BRIGHT white) would have stayed clear and bright had I not rubbed it off with a black marker.

The golden L square (what purpose it serves I have no clue. :confused:) can go in terms of cost cutting and to improve the ergonomics. :ROTFL:

The handgrip is cracked. I epoxied it and plastered it so, it is OK.

A better paint job on the bodice would be greatly appreciated.:)

Noise levels have to go down. High ISO image quality (noise and DR) could use an improvement.

Though I bought my first G1 within days of it appearing, I never filled out the warranty (2 year one since I bought it in Germany) and I never needed to.

Now, that is reliability and quality. Keep it up Pana! :)
My first G1, too, has lost the paint from the buttons on the rear. I fashioned a protector over the buttons for my second one. Otherwise, I am very happy with the G1.
I would like a one-button press for manual focus assist, but I can see the dilemna for companies if they change the way the buttons work after the introduction. The manual would no longer be correct, but then again, who reads the manual?:ROTFL:

R

Ranger 9

A better paint job on the bodice would be greatly appreciated.:)
Your G1 has a bodice?

I guess that's one way to keep the ink from wearing off the buttons... but isn't it a bit of a nuisance having to unlace it every time you want to change memory cards?

V

Vivek

Your G1 has a bodice?

I guess that's one way to keep the ink from wearing off the buttons... but isn't it a bit of a nuisance having to unlace it every time you want to change memory cards?
I could have phrased it better. The paint is the bodice for the body (it isn't unlike the Cosina Bessa L).

Yes, by that account yours also has a bodice!:cool:

V

Vivek

My first G1, too, has lost the paint from the buttons on the rear. I fashioned a protector over the buttons for my second one. Otherwise, I am very happy with the G1.
That is a wise thing to have done, Cindy. Would you share what/how exactly you did? I can use it on the other G1. Thanks.:)

hot

Price rumors ... rumors, rumors, rumors ... wait for September 1st

Panasonic GF1 prices:

Kit pancake 1,060 USD - EVF Set 1,254 USD
Macro Kit 1,166 USD - EVF Set 1,359 USD
Single body 847 USD
EVF single 316 USD
pancake lens / macro lens 640 USD

Last edited:

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Price rumors ... rumors, rumors, rumors ... wait for September 1st

Panasonic GF1 prices:

Kit pancake 1,060 USD - EVF Set 1,254 USD
Macro Kit 1,166 USD - EVF Set 1,359 USD
Single body 847 USD
EVF single 316 USD
pancake lens / macro lens 640 USD
Oh my God!!!

slosync

Re: Talking about G1/GH1 firmware upgrades

I would love to see...

** One press MF

** AF support for more of the Oly 4/3 lenses..... (like the Pen EP1)

** Less blackout time during rapid shooting (more DSLR like)

I know it's a little premature to discuss firmware upgrades for the GF1, but I would like those items above included.

Otherwise I'm destined to fuss over the need keep a OVF in my camera bag. Dang!! Of course there's always the option to become a better photographer and learn to anticipate those "kodak moments".

Cheers,
Don

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
That is a wise thing to have done, Cindy. Would you share what/how exactly you did? I can use it on the other G1. Thanks.:)
I took a coin (US quarter) for a pattern that was about the size of the wheel. I used an exacto knife and cut out the circle from clear packing tape. Then I took a strip of clear packing tape that was about the height of the quarter (just slightly wider) and a length that would go from just to the card door and down into the lcd well. I put the sticky side of the circle to the sticky side of the strip and positioned it so that the circle was over the buttons. I didn't want the tape to stick onto the buttons. Then carefully placed it down. It works like a charm. The buttons are protected and they still preform as intended.

V

Vivek

Quite simple and ingenious! :clap:

I will do that right away.

Thanks, Cindy!:)

Brian Mosley

Hi Cindy, could you please post an illustration?

Thanks for the tip - the paint on my buttons has already rubbed off (after light use)... so it's a bit late for me :(

The rubber skin is OK so far though!

Kind Regards

Brian

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Quite simple and ingenious! :clap:

I will do that right away.

Thanks, Cindy!:)
This makes my point. Vivek really knows his stuff, but his G1 must look like .....

Plaster and epoxy on the grip, Magic Markers all over the lens, and packaging tape over the controls. Diane, you need to donate one of your many bags to him.
But I did see a picture of Winogrand's Leica and I guess it had the same Vivek look and feel to it, so there can't be too much wrong that.

Keith

R

Ranger 9

This makes my point. Vivek really knows his stuff, but his G1 must look like ...
...if nothing else, I'll bet it makes it theft-resistant. A snatcher would take one look and say, "Ewwww..."

I haven't had any trouble with my control labels wearing off yet, but I wonder if a tiny drop of silicone on the "problem" buttons would help. I did this on the AEL button of my Nikon D80; it not only preserved the label, but built up the button a bit to make it easier to press.

Diane B

The silicone sounds like a good idea--except I would be afraid that I would overdo and it would leak down the sides (simply my issue--probably no one else would have the same problem LOL). My buttons are not gone, but def. much lighter, so I may still try this--or better yet, let my spouse do it (he's much better with fine detail than I seem to be with tools and such).

I'd love to see Vivek's camera as it looks today--how 'bout it Vivek?? I'm also wondering, how did the crack in the grip happen--just 'stuff'??

Diane

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Hi Cindy, could you please post an illustration?

Thanks for the tip - the paint on my buttons has already rubbed off (after light use)... so it's a bit late for me :(

The rubber skin is OK so far though!

Kind Regards

Brian
My new Blue G1:angel::angel::angel:

I think I will be able to do a better job the second time around. It is just hard to not get fingerprints on the tape. It might work better to use screen protector material to cut the circle from and then just use packing tape for the outside.

Last edited:
R

Ranger 9

Another suggestion: clear vinyl repair tape might be better than packaging tape. It's thicker, but also more flexible and would conform better to the contours of the buttons, with less bulging and creasing. If you can't find any in a hardware store, try an auto parts store -- 3M sells it for repairing tears in vinyl upholstery.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Another suggestion: clear vinyl repair tape might be better than packaging tape. It's thicker, but also more flexible and would conform better to the contours of the buttons, with less bulging and creasing. If you can't find any in a hardware store, try an auto parts store -- 3M sells it for repairing tears in vinyl upholstery.
The problem is, you need two layers over the buttons because you don't want the tape to actually stick to the buttons. I'm not sure how thick the vinyl repair tape would be??? Ranger, do you think two layers of it would be too much?

Brian Mosley

Hi Cindy, it looks as I expected - I hope Panasonic see this illustration :cussing:

...or maybe they already have done something different for the GH1 - I've read somewhere that the texture is different on the button paint.

I think I'd certainly go for a G1/GH1 in blue - it looks excellent.

Kind Regards

Brian

V

Vivek

Any such ingenious solution involves the simplest of the materials and application. I would not bother with vinyl, silicone, blah and blah.

Thanks again, Cindy! :)

(PS, Works like a charm on mine as well).