The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New M43 GF1 - Possibly

photoSmart42

I think I will be able to do a better job the second time around. It is just hard to not get fingerprints on the tape. It might work better to use screen protector material to cut the circle from and then just use packing tape for the outside.
Very creative, but I can guarantee that my wife would never go for such a solution on her blue G1 :). I'm just wondering if by the time you wear out the buttons, you probably no longer need to really know what they say? Maybe Pana can go for etching instead of stamping in a future model.

Diane B

I'm just wondering if by the time you wear out the buttons, you probably no longer need to really know what they say? Maybe Pana can go for etching instead of stamping in a future model.
That's exactly what happens. I hadn't looked at my buttons since February until it was brought to my attention that some had their buttons' 'name' wearing off. Sure enough, mine are much lighter--but I have long ago learned their function and I don't need to know what they say. However--I think others are more concerned about selling the cameras in the future--and the flaw may (likely will) force a lower price. I'm toying with buying the GH1 (or perhaps the GF1) but probably won't sell the G1 as I like 2 bodies, but at some point with upgrading, perhaps I would want to sell the G1. Selling price would likely have to be less than if the buttons matched the condition of the rest of the camera (my camera otherwise looks like new and I do shoot every day with it).

Diane

R

Ranger 9

It is just hard to not get fingerprints on the tape.
Stick the tape onto some waxed paper first. Then cut out the waxed paper and tape together. Don't peel off the waxed paper until you're ready to do the final assembly. This reduces the risk of getting fingerprints onto the sticky side of the tape, and makes it easier to handle.

Cindy, as to the vinyl repair tape being too thick -- it might be, depending on how much "feel" you need to retain from the buttons. It's the sort of thing that requires a bit of experimentation.

Yet another thought, for people who don't want to cover up the whole thing with tape but are afraid of the silicone getting out of control: Sometimes at electronics stores you can find stick-on "feet" made for applying to the bottom of a disk drive enclosure (some disk drives come with a sheet of them.) Picture-frame "bumpers" from a framing-supply store are similar, but larger; you'd need to trim these down with an art knife. Whichever you use, try cutting to size and sticking onto the buttons. They get knocked off fairly easily, but when that happens, just stick on another one.

Note that these do raise the button considerably... but that might make it easier to locate and press. It might be a good way to make the focus buttons easier to find and press when you're holding the camera up to your eye.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
When I bought my first G1, I bought a black one. I didn't think I would like blue or red. Then I saw Terry's blue one and it was not as "blue" as my mind had imagined. I just bought my second one a few weeks ago, I am carrying them both together, so having two colors makes it very easy to pick up the right one out of my bag.

I don't have to look at the buttons any more, but I just don't want them ruined. Somewhere down the line, I will sell the blue G1. My black G1 (that has lost the paint on the buttons) has been converted to Infrared only, so I will probably keep it for a long time.

Ranger, Thanks for the wax paper trick. I wll try that for my next application. (So far this application has worked for several weeks!)

I hope Panasonic addresses this button paint issue on future bodies.

R

Ranger 9

My earlier suggestion of silicone was not only to protect the print, but to "build up" the buttons a bit to make them easier to press. But if the only issue people are having with the buttons is paint wearing off them, I wonder if it would help simply to apply some clear nail polish over the labels...?

As with the silicone, the concern would be that it would run off into areas where it shouldn't be. To reduce that risk, I'd apply it with the end of a toothpick rather than using the brush in the cap. It stays in place pretty well when applied this way.

DISCLAIMER: To make sure the stuff won't dissolve the ink used for the screen-printed lables, "test first in an inconspicuous area."

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Very creative, but I can guarantee that my wife would never go for such a solution on her blue G1 :). I...snip...
No one notices the tape. They are so taken with the beautiful blue body and the sleek Pen-F lens...topped with the black Luigi leather!:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
My earlier suggestion of silicone was not only to protect the print, but to "build up" the buttons a bit to make them easier to press. But if the only issue people are having with the buttons is paint wearing off them, I wonder if it would help simply to apply some clear nail polish over the labels...?

As with the silicone, the concern would be that it would run off into areas where it shouldn't be. To reduce that risk, I'd apply it with the end of a toothpick rather than using the brush in the cap. It stays in place pretty well when applied this way.

DISCLAIMER: To make sure the stuff won't dissolve the ink used for the screen-printed lables, "test first in an inconspicuous area."
Ranger, Clear nail polish was my first thought, too. I happen to have some in my arsenal (long nails are probably the reason the paint wore off my first G1 so quickly). I decided against it because of my fear of dissolving the paint. I think I might play with your silicone idea, though.

Diane B

Yet another thought, for people who don't want to cover up the whole thing with tape but are afraid of the silicone getting out of control: Sometimes at electronics stores you can find stick-on "feet" made for applying to the bottom of a disk drive enclosure (some disk drives come with a sheet of them.) Picture-frame "bumpers" from a framing-supply store are similar, but larger; you'd need to trim these down with an art knife. Whichever you use, try cutting to size and sticking onto the buttons. They get knocked off fairly easily, but when that happens, just stick on another one.

Note that these do raise the button considerably... but that might make it easier to locate and press. It might be a good way to make the focus buttons easier to find and press when you're holding the camera up to your eye.
Good tip for me. I'm not very sure of applying silicone or even clear nail polish (which I have also).

Diane

R

Ranger 9

Getting back to the GF1...

Oops, some fast-fingered readers apparently caught screenshots of a GF1 banner ad when it appeared briefly on dpreview:

Looks as if there will be a choice of colors... nice.

Tip of virtual hat to the 43Rumors guys for spotting this and saving me the trouble of wading through dpreview threads to find it.

I'm guessing this means there will be an official announcement within, say, 12 hours, on the theory that it appeared early because the dpreview guys got their ams and pms mixed up...

kdemas

Nice snag by the 43rumors guys! I am really looking forward to giving one of these a shot... love the G1 already.

As always I will probably opt for black.

Kent

slosync

43Rumors are saying 6:00am London Time for announcement.....

I'll take a black one with EVF and 20/1.7 and then....

Cheers,
Don

monza

Ack! Colors. This is the bane of a camera dealer, no matter what color you have in stock, the buyer wants something else...

Diane B

I could live with all but the white I guess. There's actually a bigger spread of this on FM--someone caught it
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/809719

Concerning colors, I've noticed on Vimeo a number of people interested in a red GH1 and were unhappy they couldn't find one, so I guess the red is catching on also.

Some on FM were saying sorry there was no EVF. I don't think we can say that until we see if there is an 'accessory', can we??

Diane

Godfrey

If the camera works as well as it looks to me, I'll take any color at all. Preferably black for this one, but I really don't care much (except not white).

pellicle

well, with the prices cited in another thread here, I'll get one with the 20mm lens so that I can use the 20mm on my G1 and get a GF body tossed in for pittance!

Yeeee harrrr

kdemas

FYI- GF1 is up both on DPReview and on Amazon. I placed a pre-order for one with the 20mm lens :)

Let the fun begin!

Kent