The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Interesting E-P1 article

pellicle

interesting indeed ... I'm curious that the G1 does not seem to have hit the mark of press writers as well as the E-P1 seems to have ... all things considered I think I prefer my G1 as I like the viewfinder ... but we'll see what happens if I can get a GF1 (if such exists). Perhaps the 'usage style' brings too may comparisons with SLR cameras and thus is taken as "a dinky little dslr" rather than a high quality compact camera ... psychology ...

Michiel Schierbeek

interesting indeed ... I'm curious that the G1 does not seem to have hit the mark of press writers as well as the E-P1 seems to have ... all things considered I think I prefer my G1 as I like the viewfinder ... but we'll see what happens if I can get a GF1 (if such exists).
The same thing stroke me as well. Technicly the G1 was the big step forward and a small revolution. The EP-1 is nice, if you want it even smaller, but is in my eyes, a less versatile camera as the G-1, which deserves the credits.
Olympus with its long camera history just seems to generate more (fan) rumour then the Panasonic brand does, thats all.

Michiel

tashley

Subscriber Member
Hmmm, given that the reviewer takes low key to new limits, the camera wasn't going to be stretched too much at higher ISO! I mean, most of those shots are two stops underexposed, though I am sure that was a creative choice....

e_dawg

Hmmm, given that the reviewer takes low key to new limits, the camera wasn't going to be stretched too much at higher ISO! I mean, most of those shots are two stops underexposed, though I am sure that was a creative choice....
LOL.. Yep, i was thinking the same thing.

Or maybe he got a new super-bright LCD and didn't bother to calibrate it or turn the brightness down. Some of those screens are so bright they should come with a potential to cause blindness safety warning from the surgeon general :shocked:

tashley

Subscriber Member
LOL.. Yep, i was thinking the same thing.

Or maybe he got a new super-bright LCD and didn't bother to calibrate it or turn the brightness down. Some of those screens are so bright they should come with a potential to cause blindness safety warning from the surgeon general :shocked:
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL: I know - i re-calibrated mine the other day for the first time in a month (shame on me) and the shock of working with the luminance at 120 cd/m2 when it had slowly crept up to around 180-200 with me cranking up the brightness was immense!

photoSmart42

interesting indeed ... I'm curious that the G1 does not seem to have hit the mark of press writers as well as the E-P1 seems to have ...
I'm guessing it has something to do with the bias against Panasonic I noticed when looking to buy a new camera. All the pros I talked to scoffed at Panasonic and at Sony (the two main contenders I was looking to get at the time), but they considered Olympus to at least be in the group of acceptable manufacturers along with Nikon and Canon. Not a whole lot of pro store owners had even heard of the mFT format, and not many of them carried any Panasonic dSLRs.

K

ken

Maybe its because people still think Panasonic just makes cassette tape deck players? ;)

pellicle

Hi

I'm guessing it has something to do with the bias against Panasonic I noticed when looking to buy a new camera. All the pros I talked to scoffed at Panasonic and at Sony
and quite right too ... I mean after all what does an electronics company have anything to do with Digital Cameras ... they don't have the right 'pedigree'

and (just incase noone's picked up the sarcasm) after all its all about the quality of the camera systems and lenses ... the sensor is actually quite secondary, more like just digital film really ;-)

btw ... who makes the sensors for Nikon and Canon now? I thought canon were 'making their own' (but knowing how japanese companies like Hoya work they are probably farming it out to someone else)