Site Sponsors

Thread: Camera bag for 2 G1 bodies & kit lenses?

Post Thanks / Like

Camera bag for 2 G1 bodies & kit lenses?

I just sent my Panasonic G1 to Precision to get it IR converted. I would like to carry the IR converted G1 with my other G1 body, both kit lenses, and small flash in the smallest bag I can. Any recommendations on a good bag for carrying two bodies & kit lenses? I was thinking about the Domke 5xb, but it is probably too small to carry both bodies.

Suggestions??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Camera bag for 2 G1 bodies & kit lenses?

I have the 5xb and I think you are right. Its great for one body and several lenses but I don't think it can handle a second body. I also have the 6 (little bit bigger) which is probably larger than you want--is there one in between? I use the 6 to carry the G1 and lenses (one mounted) and other extras--its still very light but probably would be more room than you need for just 2 lenses and small flash. I have the 3x also (I think) and its really too deep for the G1s. Maybe you can find another Domke--I really like them because of the light weight and softer bodies
    http://tiffen.com/results.html?searc...Bags&page_no=1

Right now I'm using the Terraclime 100 as a day to day bag--but again, don't think it can handle 2 bodies. Maybe Terry has a better idea since she has the G1 and E-P1.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have the terraclime 100. It holds my two G1's with lenses on them. All the accessories fit in the pouches/zipped compartment. I have to wrap one G1 in the wrap, which I am not crazy about. If I carry one G1 and the E-P1, it works better. I keep the E-P1 in a padded zipper bag and the G1 bare. You just wouldn't want both G1's in there without some kind of protection on one of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Diane:

I bought the Terraclime 100, based on the recommendation from you and others. I love the bag and will keep using it. But, when I get my IR converted G1 back, I will at times, want to carry both bodies, lenses, etc. and need a bigger and more padded bag. Does Crumpler or Lowepro have any smaller bags that are recommended for 2 bodies & lenses?

Thanks,

Rick

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And now also the GH-1

Let me play around in the bag closet for a little bit. GH1 just arrived today.

Post Thanks / Like

Cindy -

I took your recommendation on getting an IR conversion done at Precision. I was lucky enough to locate a good used G1 at a great price. I always loved shooting IR, when I owned Canon and Nikon IR converted cameras. I think I will really like using the compact G1 for IR.

Rick

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Only the bottom of this is padded but it does look interesting. Haven't bought that quite yet.

http://figitalrevolution.com/bare-bo...s-rangefinder/

Off to the closet

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rrobinson54 View Post
    Cindy -

I took your recommendation on getting an IR conversion done at Precision. I was lucky enough to locate a good used G1 at a great price. I always loved shooting IR, when I owned Canon and Nikon IR converted cameras. I think I will really like using the compact G1 for IR.

Rick
    Rick,
    I'm loving it!! Let us know how you like yours. What lens did you send in?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    And now also the GH-1

Let me play around in the bag closet for a little bit. GH1 just arrived today.

Post Thanks / Like

Had the same prob with bags. My solution is this little friendly-looking leather bag. No one thinks of a camerabag or even an E-P1 inside . Tested it on several trips. Yes it works good for me...

Ready for action

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Regular backpack. Toss them in.

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Regular backpack. Toss them in.
    But remember, by the time Vivek has disassembled his camera, removed a few essential pieces, put it back together, covered it with Magic Marker and tape, it looks like . . . . . anyway.

Keith

Post Thanks / Like

Cindy - I sent in the 14-45mm lens for the IR conversion.

Someone must sell a compact bag for 2 G1 & 2 lenses. Lowepro? Crumpler? Domke?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodmancy View Post
    But remember, by the time Vivek has disassembled his camera, removed a few essential pieces, put it back together, covered it with Magic Marker and tape, it looks like . . . . . anyway.

Keith
    Keith, The kind of things you make me look up.. I am sure they the right stuff for you.

Last edited by Vivek; 15th August 2009 at 06:34.

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Keith, The kind of things you make me look up.. I am sure they the right stuff for you.

They are indeed - I've just received your recommended flash and it works like a charm - I am also just on the hairy edge of painting my Oly 17mm black.
    But I refuse to wear a Hello Kitty camera bag. Unless I paint out HelloKitty with Magic Marker, now that's a thought - have you tried it?

Thanks
    Keith

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cindy - I sent in the 14-45mm lens for the IR conversion.

Someone must sell a compact bag for 2 G1 & 2 lenses. Lowepro? Crumpler? Domke?
    I think it depends on how you want to carry the 2 G1's. The body is certainly small enough, but the shapes get a little more difficult to throw in a bag when you have two bodies with lenses attached (especially if one is the 45-200). For my M8's when you had two plus lenses a great bag was a Domke bag that was adapted here by Jack. In it you could get 2 M8s and about 8 lenses. Not sure if this style interests you (if so, I can give you all of the details on model and the middle slots.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpo...81&postcount=4

These days for general city stuff or when out driving, I prefer a less padded solution like the Terraclime or a non photo bag and to use little pouches for the lenses. The padded camera bags tend to look too much like a camera bag and have too much padding. Crumplers padding is great but is so thick you could probably drop and camera bag from a pretty big height and not have any issues.

Timbuk2 now has a retail store in San Francisco and I was going to head over there this afternoon and check out their different bags many of which you can customize. I do have one of their messenger bag and it does have some heavy velcro on it. I want to see if you can get a build to order without velcro (the great clothing destroyer).

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/home

Terry

Post Thanks / Like

That's the problem with the Domke 5xb--with a little seamripper you can take off the Velcro--but there are no other fasteners, so there you are LOL.

With the Domke 6 http://tiffen.com/displayproduct.htm...temnum=700-60D , there are 2 hooks, no velcro--and I put a 4 section domke insert in the middle leaving room for one body on one side, one on the other (and it has pocket on back where I put my filter folder and a zip pocket on front which takes quite a lot of accessories). If you put a 2 section insert in middle you could put one body each side with lens mounted and still have 2 more sections plus the pockets--or you can move insert (it velcros in wherever you want) to one side and have larger section for camera with larger lens and 4 more sections--and you can put the G1 in one of those sections with ease.

I suspect it will be my 'go to 'bag' when I get 2 bodies. Right now I use it with G1 and several lenses and EOS adaptor and EF tilt shift lens-- but last trip I carried it with G1 and a couple of lenses and the 5D on other side and stuck the 50 f/1.4 in one of the sections. Worked really well. Might be worth a look. I'm not sure why I bought a tan canvas, but have had it for ages and its my only non-black bag LOL. Its been washed, used a lot--and still just maintains quite nicely.

Just noticed when I posted the link that it has a zip pocket in the top--since I never use it, completely forgot LOL.

Diane
    Last edited by Diane B; 15th August 2009 at 07:57.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Domkes we used with the M8's (slightly modified with a 4 section Domke insert but with the padding removed from the insert) see picture in link from my previous post):

Big kit day
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...l_Satchel.html

Small Kit day
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Shoulder.html

Post Thanks / Like

The two bags that look good (at least on-line) are the Domke F6 and Lowepro Nova 200 AW. Unfortunately, we are not close to any camera stores to check the bags out in person.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Domke F6 and I think my Nova 4AW was replaced by the 200--look about the same. The difference for me is that the Domke is more flexible interior wise and its not so rigid--box like--but of course, not padded like the Nova. It is a more relaxed moldable to body than the Nova which isn't at all. I use both a 4 section insert and a 2 section insert (and have a 1 also) for the Domkes which gives me a lot of ability to suit the gear.

I would say its really a matter of taste--I have a number of Lowepro bags from my big Magnum AW down to the Terraclime 100. The rigid bags like the Magnum, Nova, even the backpacks--are very well padded, have lots of compartments and can be setup with dividers. The Domkes (I have 3, the F3x which is my favorite bag to work out of for the 5D--the F6 and the 5xb) tend to be my favorite bags since they are very light, pretty flexible (esp. the F6) and don't look as much like a camera bag--nor are as 'square' as the LPs. I don't have any of the satchel bags from Domke--they certainly look worth looking into.

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Only the bottom of this is padded but it does look interesting. Haven't bought that quite yet.

Off to the closet
    Very interesting, Terry! I really like the design a lot.

I hate the materials, however, and the notion of putting a big reflective patch AND velcro on the overflap makes me a little ill. I avoid anything that has reflective stuff on it; a pair of loop and hasp securing closers like the Terraclime has is much more appealing to me.

Perhaps I'll call him and see if he'll make me one in heavy canvas, lined with microfiber cloth, and leave off the Velcro.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The two bags that look good (at least on-line) are the Domke F6 and Lowepro Nova 200 AW. Unfortunately, we are not close to any camera stores to check the bags out in person.
    The Domke F6 is what I used to carry my Hasselblad 500CM plus four backs, three lenses, and other accessories in. Two G1s and three lense? It's a HUGE bag for that. :-)

I fit both the Panasonic L1 with the 35 Macro and the G1 with the 25mm into the Domke F5XB. With tons of room to spare. I'm sure two bodies and three lenses will fit.

Post Thanks / Like

Off to the closet

these look rather nice..let me know how your trip to the San Francisco store goes, I like the looks of those as well.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
    these look rather nice..let me know how your trip to the San Francisco store goes, I like the looks of those as well.
    I have an old Timbuk2 classic messenger (small). They are indestructible but the velcro is strong and annoying because it will mess up clothes so I don't use it much. If I were to get a new one I would custom order it and have them leave off the front velcro. They said it can be ordered that way.

You can get more in a Timbuk2 classic messenger than the Terraclime 100. The messenger is about 2" wider and about 2" deeper. There is NO! padding in a Timbuk2 (terraclime's is very thin but there). I just put 4 lenses (each in a neoprene pouch) in the bag (7-14, 14-45, 45-200 and 25 lux) and can fit the GH1 with 14-140 next to it all and a G1 with lens sitting on top in wrap. You could get in two more lens and flash and have both cameras sitting on top of the lenses with no problem. I don't mind camera on top of lenses because when shooing camera is out so you aren't juggling around in the bag.

So, I haven't ordered anything for the moment because I wasn't hugely inspired but you know me, always on the lookout for something new.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post

I hate the materials, however, and the notion of putting a big reflective patch AND velcro on the overflap makes me a little ill. I avoid anything that has reflective stuff on it; a pair of loop and hasp securing closers like the Terraclime has is much more appealing to me.

Perhaps I'll call him and see if he'll make me one in heavy canvas, lined with microfiber cloth, and leave off the Velcro.
    Design is nice. Give a bit more options than the shootsac if you want to stow the camera away. I completely agree on materials and velcro. If you can convince him to experiment with different materials I would give it a try! You can tell him there would be more than one order.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kweide View Post
    Had the same prob with bags. My solution is this little friendly-looking leather bag. No one thinks of a camerabag or even an E-P1 inside . Tested it on several trips. Yes it works good for me...

http://www3.pic-upload.de/15.08.09/uvts1grc2jtf.jpg

http://www3.pic-upload.de/15.08.09/l8m7hgd81nl.jpg

Ready for action

That is a really nice small bag! What's the brand and model?

Post Thanks / Like

I bought this leather bag in Rome, Italy.
    The companies name is La Sella, its near the famous Fonatan di Trevi. Dont ask me the name of the bag. I dont know. I took it because its softness, its clear and straight desgin. It has only one compartment but my E-P1 fits well into it. Briefcase and keymap as well, yes a mobilephone holder is inside too. And it is sooooooft

The company
    http://www.lasellaroma.it/index.htm

Get into contact with them and send them the photos of the bag. They will know ! Should i take some more shots from the bag ???

Post Thanks / Like

It has only one main compartment. On the back it has another zipper controlled opening. A CD easily fits into. Under the front flap another zipper for a deeeeep pocket. And in the main compartment it has a stiched pocket with an additional mobile phone holder...

The back

Under the frontflap

The inside pocket

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! That really does look nice, great for a compact carry-the-camera-and-small-junk day bag. I'll send them a note ... :-)

JayCee

Klaus, what size is it roughly?

Post Thanks / Like

It is about
    27 x 20 x 8 cm

Post Thanks / Like

What preferences do most people have in the color of their camera bags? I have always used basic black bags, but the Lowepro bags look nice in chestnut & red. Do they look more like camera bags when in colors? I think black is a good choice, but it might be time to go "crazy" and try something different?

Post Thanks / Like

I only have 2 that are 'colored'--an old Tamrac dark green one and the tan F6 Domke. All my others are black. I was sorely tempted to get the Terraclime in a color, but the grass green interior helped it seem not just 'black'.

I agree--a color might be nice. Chestnut sounds nice--and would probably age nicely. Oh--I DO have a big red Delsey backpack--forgot that one. Since its a backpack that sits straight up on the ground (rather than lay out like a lot), when I used it it got set down a lot--and it showed dirt. Not a good choice for backpack I used hiking. But then--it didn't seem so 'outdoorsy' backpacky for urban shooting.

Maybe it is time to go different. Only thing is bags stick around a long time for me and I always wonder if I'll get tired of the color. OTOH--I'm not typical--in one of my most recent 'past' lives I was a textile designer/craftsperson and worked with color, dyeing, daily for years. I'm also married to a designer so we live color day in and day out. Maybe why I tend to go black.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

I have liked Crumpler bags because they are colorful and comfortable especially when I was carrying around a D700. With the G1 I can get aways with a less structured bag if need be, but still like my red and yellow 5 million dollar home alot. I have been tempted by the Shootsac's but have not see much feedback on them.

I also found these which lok nice but it does not give dimensions

http://www.firststreetleather.com/st...fe_dav453.html

Post Thanks / Like

Off to the closet
    These are made for him by Courierware and are a stripped down version of their extra small Incognito bag ie - no interior padding, no buckles, etc. The Icognito also has a slightly different pocket design that you can see on the web site.

I use the Incognito as my day to day bag with the G1 but have modified the padding insert to be much smaller. You can order the Incognito with any color flap you choose to avoid the reflective nonsense of the Bare Bones bag. For me, its the ideal (for now ) bag - doesn't look like a camera bag, very lightweight, comfortable wide strap. Highly recommended.
    Bob Trancho

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post

The bare bones bags are made by Courierware (http://courierbags.com). They have a lot more choices for design, colors, velcro, etc. I don't know how different the bare bones bag is from the standard Courierware bag other than the funky reflective material.

I was looking at these for a while, but recently got a Domke 5xb instead. I wish the 5xb was just a little bigger. It holds what I want (G1, 14-45, 45-200 and with a tight fit a 3rd lens, but it is a little too small to easily work out of.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jsparks View Post
    The bare bones bags are made by Courierware (http://courierbags.com). They have a lot more choices for design, colors, velcro, etc. I don't know how different the bare bones bag is from the standard Courierware bag other than the funky reflective material.
    It seems like the BBB has a more interesting interior for me. It looks like a reverse shoot sack with pockets for each of the lenses to avoid the heavily padded insert. Have you compared the interiors?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It seems like the BBB has a more interesting interior for me. It looks like a reverse shoot sack with pockets for each of the lenses to avoid the heavily padded insert. Have you compared the interiors?
    I haven't compared the interiors except the limited photos on the web sites. The Courierware bags show the interiors inside out which makes the pockets look very flat. I don't know if they would be big enough to hold a lens. The camera bag insert looks too stiff and over padded to me.

The pockets on the BBB also look too small for a G1 with the kit lens mounted (maybe I'm wrong). I don't think I'd really like the BBB with 2 bodies unless one had a pancake lens mounted and would fit in one of the pockets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The BBB looks interesting and looks customized with the inside pockets. If anyone convinces him to make one without the velcro and with a canvas front flap I would also be interested. The reflective front just seems "wrong"

Jim

Irwell

Get yourself a padded insulated luch bag for about
    $3. Add some heavy duty Velcro for the top flap.
    Does http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/images/smilies/wtf.gif
    not look a bit like a camera bag!

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I continue a similar thread rather than start a new one:

I have a Domke F5xb and a F2 and like both of them. But there are the times when I need something right in between. I had been looking at the Domke F6 but wanted to hear if anybody knows of good alternatives in that size. It should hold a GH1 & LX3, 2 of the larger lenses (like the 14-140), and a handful of smaller ones like the 20/1.7, a Summicron 50 and a few c-mount lenses (I usually get about three of them in a normal lens compartment...). So, the F6 seems about right for that, but as an added complication: It would be nice if it also holds an Ipad safely. Does the F6 work for that? Any good alternatives? Maybe there is something new?

Thanks,

Stefan