Site Sponsors

Thread: Long story don't laugh too hard but....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Long story don't laugh too hard but....

A GH1 arrived today.
    It has been in such short supply and on backorder for long enough. I decided to place an order with Panasonic.com figuring the final announcement about the GF1 would be out before a GH1 shipped as the site said back ordered until September. Well two days after ordering it shipped! So, now I have all three micro 4/3 bodies and all the m4/3 lenses and I am still interested in the GF1. I was originally getting the camera for the 14-140 lens figuring I would sell the body and keep the lens if I liked it but now since Iceland I've gotten intrigued with video but please don't let me fall down a rabbit hole of processing!

OK so, yes, I'm a bit crazy but I will have a gear sale once I figure out my favorite combo of cameras. (sure )

Thought I would post a couple of quick shots of the G1 and GH1 with the respective kit lenses.

don't abuse me for the Oly body cap

The first lens is the 25 summilux

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Long story don't laugh too hard but....

Nice set up there!

How do you like the Summilux? I am looking for a good lowlight prime and finding I am limited for the wider lenses.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I haven't used the 25 lux as much as I should. It is the biggest of all the lenses. It is loud when it focuses that is for sure. I will do some testing with it this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Terry. It was interesting to see the 14-140 in context of all the lenses--smaller than I expected. Looking at the top of the G1 and GH1 the only 2 differences I can see are the mics on the top of the GH1 and the shutter button seems different--as though it is set into a larger frame. Oh--and the mode dial seems to have a difference but I can't make out exactly what it is.

Have fun---looking forward to seeing what you think of the video--and anything else you discover.

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Diane,
    It is smaller than I expected as well. That's why I put all the lenses together for the pictures. Took them with the Pen. Damn that thing focuses slowly!

Post Thanks / Like

Terry, I'm curious if the felt weight of the GH1 body feels any heavier over the G1 or are they identical in weight, size and feel? Can you detect any differences in the EVFs?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No battery in it yet, decompressing after a long work week.
    I can't tell on weight yet either since I have an RRS plate bolted to the bottom of the G1 so it feels heavier. The GH1 feels very light so I can't imagine it is any heavier. The 14-140 is definitely heavier than the 14-45 so kit to kit the GH1 is definitely heavier.

carcam

Terry- I'd love to hear your impression of the 14-140 on the Pen. Speed of focus, balance, IQ. Not a detailed lens test, just your gut feel which is good enough for me. The E-P1 is so much fun, my M8.2 is feeling a little left out lately (it certainly doesn't replace it, it's just a fun little camera for certain shots). Thanks Terry.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool Terry, also interested in your opinion of the 14-140...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I haven't used the 25 lux as much as I should. It is the biggest of all the lenses. It is loud when it focuses that is for sure. I will do some testing with it this weekend.

I look forward to the results. I have a Nikon 24 2.8 and 35 1.4 that I am going to test out first and I may pick up a 50 1.2 if I think I need it, I had one and loved it but sold it a few months ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Diane,
    Took them with the Pen. Damn that thing focuses slowly!
    Yes, it's amazing you managed to catch these stills with the slow AF

Congratulations, I'm jealous!

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by carcam View Post
    Terry- I'd love to hear your impression of the 14-140 on the Pen. Speed of focus, balance, IQ. Not a detailed lens test, just your gut feel which is good enough for me. The E-P1 is so much fun, my M8.2 is feeling a little left out lately (it certainly doesn't replace it, it's just a fun little camera for certain shots). Thanks Terry.
    Hi carcam, judging by this video, the Lumix 14-140 is the fastest focusing lens available for the E-P1.

E-P1 + Lumix 14-140mm focus speed video.

Cheers

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Yes, it's amazing you managed to catch these stills with the slow AF
    Brian, when you use the Pen on its own you don't really think about speed (unless it doesn't lock but that is really in low light).

However, when you shoot the two cameras side by side the difference is pretty dramatic. I had just taken the lens off the GH1 for the pictures and picked up the Pen to do it. That's when you stop and say wow and that is what led me to go side by side with them and a stopwatch last night. So, the extra few seconds of time I that were wasted to focus are not going to make a big difference in my life, and I didn't miss the shot, it does make your hand instinctively reach for one camera over the other. All that being said, I do like the Pen and will probably really enjoy the GF1. Life is good and getting better for photographers.

Ranger 9

Life is good and getting better for photographers.
    Better, yes, but not exactly less expensive or less complicated...

Subscriber Member Jonathon Delacour's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry, thank you for the lens comparison shot. I'd vaguely wondered about getting the 25mm Summilux for my (recently acquired) G1 but had no idea that it was so huge. I'm currently using 40/1.4 and 38/1.8 Pen F lenses together with a 40/1.4 Nokton on the G1 and am very happy with the results. (The Pen F lenses are tiny and have gorgeous bokeh.)

Here's hoping the rumor about Leica doing a 30/1.4 Summilux for m4/3rds is true. I could do pretty much everything I needed with the 20/1.7, 30/1.4, and 45/2.8 Macro-Elmarit lenses on the G1 and/or GF1.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you look at the combo, it is clear from a design esthetic that the E-P1 and the 14-140 weren't designed together. The lens looks a bit big for the camera but we've seen pictures of much bigger mismatches. I would agree that this lens camera combination is the fastest in terms of AF. With my left hand under the lens and the camera resting on my palm, I control everything with my right had. Not a one handed combo. I will post more as I use it.

For days when I am just going out and don't want to take a bunch of gear, any of the m4/3 bodies with the 14-140 and a fast pancake will cover a ton of situations. I know superzooms aren't great from an IQ standpoint but there are valid reasons why they are so popular. Now to actually download some stuff from the camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry - face it - you have gearaholicness.

Things could be worse though...imagine 4 MFD systems and a couple of tech cameras thrown in for good measure - I stopped worrying about how many 35mm systems are sitting there a while back..

the only cure is a new hobby. Start fresh.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    the only cure is a new hobby. Start fresh.
    But this was a fresh start from another hobby!

Ranger 9

This whole thing kind of reminds me about something Patrick McManus wrote in a essay-ish sort of thing about "How to Get Started in Bass Fishing." After Step 1 (which was build an addition onto your house to make room for all your bass-fishing gear) came Step 2 (which I am paraphrasing from memory): "Go to your local tackle shop and buy everything in it. You're going to sooner or later, so you might as well get it out of the way now and save time."

Post Thanks / Like

There also will be that 45 Leica macro lens + 20mm f1.7 to come with the GF-1. I can't wait . Hopefully there will be a Leica version for it as the Leica CL-D.

carcam

Terry and Brian- thanks for the info on the 14-140. Looks promising. Is the only way to get one, buying a GH-1?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry and Brian- thanks for the info on the 14-140. Looks promising. Is the only way to get one, buying a GH-1?
    NO, you can buy it alone but you will have to look outside the US at this time. You can get it in Canada but with the exchange rate being so hideous it is pretty expensive and you are almost better off buying the camera kit and selling the body.

That being said....contact Bill Wilby

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7912

I'm not sure of the best Japanese or HK sellers.

carcam

Thanks Terry!

Post Thanks / Like

We should have teamed up on this purchase and split it, as I am interested in only the GH1 body! That said, if/when you decide to sell it, drop me an email and let's see if we can make both of us happy...

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm changing your name to TEB camera closet
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Audii-Dudii View Post
    We should have teamed up on this purchase and split it, as I am interested in only the GH1 body! That said, if/when you decide to sell it, drop me an email and let's see if we can make both of us happy...
    Will do. Not sure what will stay and what will go as I'm just dipping my toes in the water for video. So we will see how much I like shooting and more importantly editing it. Want to see what transpires with the GF1 as well so nothing coming or going from my bag before that announcement.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I'm changing your name to TEB camera closet
    I'm still have training wheels on compared to you...

You do fail to notice all of the stuff I've sold !!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Will do. Not sure what will stay and what will go as I'm just dipping my toes in the water for video. So we will see how much I like shooting and more importantly editing it. Want to see what transpires with the GF1 as well so nothing coming or going from my bag before that announcement.
    I've found that video lives or dies in post. It really is a totally different way of seeing the world relative to stills as well. I know a few DPs who are great still photographers so there is cross-over, but don't underestimate how different the skillsets are. And if you don't like editing, then video will likely remain an annoying and sometimes useful curiosity. I love editing when I have time, but I also love mixing music as well. Something about construction that is quite fun. And with digital it is instant gratification...but if you're a perfectionist it can be quite annoying to tweak, render, tweak, render, etc...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One thing I've noticed about great video/film... is that many times the angles chosen are very good compositions from a still photography point of view. The action takes place and obviously you have all the dynamics of timing, movement etc - but the 'frame' chosen would often make a fantastic still frame image.

Does that make sense to anyone?

Kind Regards

Brian

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One thing I've noticed about great video/film... is that many times the angles chosen are very good compositions from a still photography point of view. The action takes place and obviously you have all the dynamics of timing, movement etc - but the 'frame' chosen would often make a fantastic still frame image.

Kind Regards

Brian
    It makes a lot of sense. I think the greatest films that have been made probably came from directors who had strong visual skills in still photography, especially in black and white.
    It's interesting that David Hockney tried to do his photographic collages ("joiners") also in video, and it worked out quite well. He "framed" and assembled the still and moving pics exactly in the same way.

Keith

Post Thanks / Like

I would really like to see some video with this, hand held. So far, all the video i have seen has had the camera mounted on a tripod, it seems. That would tell me whether or not i want to try this camera. Any idea when you may have time to try this, as i know there is a learning curve to each new camera.
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ecsh View Post
    I would really like to see some video with this, hand held. So far, all the video i have seen has had the camera mounted on a tripod, it seems. That would tell me whether or not i want to try this camera. Any idea when you may have time to try this, as i know there is a learning curve to each new camera.
    Joe
    Here's a handheld with GH1 I just viewed on Vimeo
    http://www.vimeo.com/groups/gh1/videos/6133030

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Kind Regards

Brian
    Yes, but video is often all about movement, so it is a piece of the puzzle, but often gets lost in the shuffle.

I watched Casabalanca again last night. Great cinematography and lighting. A lot of the framing is "still-like", using much of the surrounding to frame the actors. That said, there also is quite a bit of camera movement. There are many ways to shoot and attack the problem. Some think of it as a series of static shots that are strung together. So you shoot a scene from a number of angles (each essentially a "still" shot) then cut them together to give flow. Others think of the camera as an observer that is moving, and in that case it doesn't really translate to "still" thinking as your framing is always changing (eg the opening tracking shot from "The Player"). I think the best actually are able to see a path and imagine the framing along it, so maybe they are just thinking really fast as still photographer, but I think it is a somewhat different set of muscles.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Diane. Seems its pretty awkward when doing any type of panning beyond real slow. Otherwise, seems pretty good, especially the low light stuff.
    Better than i had envisioned.
    Joe

wblynch

Great reference.

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post

(eg the opening tracking shot from "The Player")

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Terry

GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) is still way cheaper than gambling.

Paul