The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

All that Jazz

JBurnett

All that Jazz...

I like this image a lot. But the one thing that bothers me is how centred the musician's face is to the frame. While the bass on the left adds context and the reflection of the windows of the older building are interesting, I might experiment with cropping in from the left and down from the top.

Rawfa

You're right. There was a huge crowd and I couldn't find a spot to frame it properly. The kit lens felt a little short also. But I have the feeling that if I've moved the camera a bit to the right I could have made a better shot.
Here are some more:

JBurnett

One doesn't always have the luxury of the best angle. I guess that might be one time that an articulated LCD screen could come in handy. Nonetheless, I like the series, with the first shot (cropped - :) ) being my favourite.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Rafa,
The 1st image works for many reasons......
Don
I hate to keep agreeing with you, but I thought the same thing. Next time, I'll get in first.

Centering the subject works if you offset properly on either side, which Rafa has done successfully here.

Keith

Rawfa

Thanks, guys. One thing that really caught my eye was that there was a certain sadness about the trumpet player.

P

PeterLeyssens

Centering the subject works if you offset properly on either side, which Rafa has done successfully here.
I agree, the first image is very good. The trumpet player's face shows a lot of concentrated emotion, and putting it squarely in the centre emphasises this. It's so powerful it hurts. It makes me feel uneasy, but that's just the quality of the photo: changing it would weaken it.

Great photo.

Peter.

Rawfa

I know these are my photos and one should let the image talk by it self, but when I look into the trumpet players' face I can really imagine him thinking that he has been in this game for a long time to be playing in the streets for a bunch of tourists who know nothing about jazz, that it's all about music, that this night he would go home to his lonely apartment and look at his own old pictures. I find it very melancholic.