The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon FD Lens Question ???

Owen_Coors

I purchased a Canon FD 50/1.4 awhile back, before I realized that the 4/3-adapter would only allow this lens to be used for macro. I know that with the newer m4/3 format getting infinity focus is no longer a problem, but before I invest in an adapter for using this lens can some kind person tell me if my copy might have a problem. When I turn the aperture ring from anywhere from f22 to f1.4 the aperture does not move, but stays at this position shown in the pic:

Is this normal? There seems to be no oil on any of the 8-blades, so I don't think that's a problem. Am wondering if there has to be something inside the mount that has to be moved before the aperture will move. Any insight would be appreciated, much.

Diane B

I'm not sure what you mean that it only allows for it to be used as a macro. I have a 50 f/1.8 and many have 50 f/1.4s for m4/3rds. You do have to consider the 2x crop however (perhaps there was an 4/3rds adaptor I'm unfamiliar with though).

With the FDs, there is a lever on the bottom that has to be engaged to set the aperture. With the adaptors (at least mine--the RJ is slightly different--mine is Cameraquest/Rayqual) you make sure your lever is on the left of the pin inside the adaptor--then you turn a bit to the left and then right to mount the lens to the adaptor. When the lens is mounted correctly (if you use an FD more than twice you don't even think how to mount it again), the aperture works correctly.

Diane

JBurnett

Without engaging the aperture control, you can move the aperture ring all you want and nothing will happen. The lens needs to be mounted on an FD mount for the aperture ring to be operational. And, no, the default aperture when the lens is OFF the camera is not wide open.

Try mounting the lens to the 4/3 adapter. I would think that even a regular 4/3 adapter should engage the operation of the aperture ring.

For MICRO-4/3 adapters, there are different designs to engage the aperture ring. Diane has described the Cameraquest adapter. For the Jinfinance adapter, one mounts the lens then turns a separate collar to engage aperture control.

There is a manual way to engage the ring, but I don't know the trick.

Owen_Coors

Thanks to you both, for your very informative answers! Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my post. I don't have an m4/3 camera, yet, and when I was going to buy a 4/3 adapter (to use with the FD 50/1.4, 6-mnths ago) I then read on the adapter description (jinfinance) that the FD lenses would actually focus out to 12' on that adapter. I opted not to purchase one for that reason and this lens was put away and forgotten. My recent interest in m4/3 though has spurred me to inquire about this lens. Thank you for taking the time to educate me about the FD mount, and about the 2x m4/3 adapters.

JBurnett

If there's a camera shop nearby that deals in older, used equipment (or even a pawnshop) you might be able to take your lens there and mount it on a Canon FD-vintage camera to make sure the aperture ring works. Chances are good that everything is fine.

pellicle

Hi

take a look at my blog page here as among the descriptions of the 2 adaptors there describes the mounting method for the adaptor. Essentially you need to 'snag' the iris coupling arm and then rotating that back fit it to the adaptor. Look at this diagram.

The adaptor pictured above has a moving coupling pin, this makes mounting easier ... mount then engage. Most do not. so you want to have the adaptor over past that pin, bring the surfaces together, rotate till the adaptor falls into the mount and then lock normally.

The flange distance for "legacy" 4/3rds SLR types (with the reflex mirror) is still shorter than that of the FD so you should be able to get infinity focus well.

the FD lenses are a little tricky to handle compared to other systems.