The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Exhibit your photos with Lumix Life

P

PanasonicAustralia

Hello Lumix Photographers :)

Lumix Life is Panasonic's new project to find the best undiscovered photographers and give them the chance to have their photos exhibited in a real life gallery.

Simply submit your top 10 Lumix photos to www.lumixlife.com.au to enter Panasonic's online gallery with the best 50 photographers having their work exhibited in the prestigious Sydney Global Gallery.

A web cam will be set up so you can view you the exhibition live if unable to make the big event.

Would be great to see you showcase your skills to the world!

Team Panasonic

Terry

I guess we now know that Panasonic looks at this forum.... Wanna spill the beans on the GF1 ???????:ROTFL:

p.s. That's American for tell us your secrets!!!!

P

PanasonicAustralia

Thank you for your comments and to those who have already entered Lumix Life.

The competition is reserved for Lumix cameras only so sorry Leica can not be accepted. As for the GF1 unfortunately we can not comment on the rumours circulating only that Panasonic is committed to developing its Micro 4/3rds technology.

We hope you'll enjoy our photographic competition and be sure to vote for your favorite photographer for the people's choice awards, visit www.lumixlife.com.au

All the best,
The Panasonic Australia Team :salute:

V

Vivek

Panasonic:

I was quite keen to enter some shots there upon your invitation.

Your "selection criteria"

12. Each entrant warrants that if any person who is not the entrant is pictured in the submitted photograph, and is easily identifiable in the photograph, that the entrant has obtained all necessary permission from those identifiable persons pictured to submit the photograph for the purposes of the promotion.
Spelled out here: http://www.lumixlife.com.au/entry_form/selectioncriteria.cfm

makes this impossible.

With that kind of a criterion and condition, I can not submit any "candid" street photographs. Such a criterion/condition is anathema to any street photographer and especially me.

m3photo

Re: Legal Bumpf

With that kind of a criterion and condition, I can not submit any "candid" street photographs. Such a criterion/condition is anathema to any street photographer and especially me.
Kicks me off the playing field too.

This legal jibberish is naturally concocted by lawyers who have absolutely no care for art in any of its forms and only seeks to limit its client's liabilities.

Ergo; business as usual in the photographic "competition" world:

Come ye all inocuous "pretty" sunsets ...

V

Vivek

Re: Legal Bumpf

Kicks me off the playing field too.

This legal jibberish is naturally concocted by lawyers who have absolutely no care for art in any of its forms and only seeks to limit its client's liabilities.

Ergo; business as usual in the photographic "competition" world:

Come ye all inocuous "pretty" sunsets ...

One of my all time favorite street shots (a few fellow street photogs I asked, picked this one):

(not taken with anything remotely Lumix)

was the very reason why I was so keen on the G1 (swivel TFT and all, hey this shot would fulfill that gibberish but alas that was a Nike cam with a self made T/S 28mm lens).

Guess what? Even after an year, not a single G1 shot remotely comes close to it.

Yes, we have all heard it from all those old farts. It isn't the gear..:ROTFL::ROTFL:

JBurnett

Such a criterion/condition is anathema to any street photographer and especially me.
Alas, the 'model release' has become a standard request here in North America. And paranoia has prompted security guards to chase me from their buildings; I suppose I might be photographing ways to break in, or places to set explosives? Today I was told that I couldn't take pictures inside the buildings at a "pioneer village" recreation. Apparently, they'd had a theft of artifacts and believed that the thieves had taken pictures beforehand to case the joint. I'm told that in the U.S. buildings may be "copyrighted" and that extends to images of them.

Sigh. :thumbdown:

V

Vivek

Alas, the 'model release' has become a standard request here in North America.
Sigh. :thumbdown:
Jburnett,

No, it has not unless there is a corporation/promotion/financial interest involved.

If it is a "real" photo gallery as Panasonic claims here that clause should not be there and especially the last line in that clause.

If you are out on a street and I stick a form asking you to agree to a model release agreeing to a Panasonic promotion why would you sign it?

I can imagine the reactions of the people to such a request and I would love to capture all their reactions upclose :)ROTFL:) but would I lie that I got a model release and submit that to promote a brand name? No.

So, this whole thing is nothing but a spam, IMO.

Panasonic: Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

I will be happy if you could set that right and clarify my doubts.:)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Read folks. Basically means they can use your image without compensation to promote the contest. You still own your copyright. ALWAYS READ the fine print

All entries (which shall include photographs) submitted remains the property of the Entrant. Entries will not be returned to any entrant. . Each entrant warrants to the Promoter that each entry submitted is an original artistic work of the entrant that does not infringe the rights of any third party. The entrant agrees to indemnify the Promoter against all costs and claims by third parties arising from a breach of this warranty. Entrants consent to any use of their entry which may otherwise infringe their moral rights pursuant to the Copyright Act 1968 (Cth).
As a condition of entering into this promotion, each entrant licences the Promoter without any reward, payment or fee to use their entry in media including but not limited to the exhibition, and promotional, marketing or publicity purposes related to the exhibition

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Vivek,
That clause eliminates me also.
I have never had a collector, gallery or museum ask for a model release.
Panasonics lawyers have taken the freedom we as photographers share and killed any creative intent we could share.
They may very well be protecting their client but they force us to do controlled images.
Life is not that way in reality, at least not in my life.
Thanks for posting the clause.
I was about to send some images with Pres. Bush and some Generals at a funeral we did at Arlington.....
Shooter

Guy Mancuso

As a working Pro I NEVER enter these types of contests. There is always some clause in the fine print that I do not like, I see two glaring at me here. Read these things folks and if you ever have a question e-mail me personally if you want. Be happy to look at it and advice [email protected]

Guy Mancuso

Make that 3 now

The Promoter collects personal information in order to conduct the Promotion and may, for this purpose, disclose such information to third parties. Entry is conditional on providing this information. The Promoter may, for a (limited period which would be the duration of the promotion13th august to 31st October) unless otherwise advised, use the information for promotional, marketing and publicity purposes including sending electronic messages or telephoning the entrant. Entrants should direct any request to access, update or correct information to the Promoter.

Need I say more here.:deadhorse:

V

Vivek

Don,

The Dutch laws are fairly generous with respect to street photography but as soon as any such non sense creeps up with respect to the subjects in a photo, the photographer is toast.

I agree with you.

Guy, Thanks for your posts and advice.

Guy Mancuso

Your welcome just hate to see members getting screwed on these things. Obviously there are some contests that are very good and I don't want to ban them from getting posted either , just want folks to read the fine print before sending off that precious image that you may actually lose on in the end and give away to much. Simple thought your image, your rights and never give it up. But i will start locking threads that I think smell bad and will let you folks know why.

m3photo

Re: Plain English

The Promoter collects personal information in order to conduct the Promotion and may, for this purpose, disclose such information to third parties. Entry is conditional on providing this information. The Promoter may, for a (limited period which would be the duration of the promotion13th august to 31st October) unless otherwise advised, use the information for promotional, marketing and publicity purposes including sending electronic messages or telephoning the entrant. Entrants should direct any request to access, update or correct information to the Promoter.
This and the previous clause means that the "Promoters", (to be fair - in this instance it's Panasonic but they all do it) dangle the carrot in front of every entrant's nose in the form of a prize. Only a few at the top get the corresponding prizes but they always win because they can then use all entries for the pursuance of marketing strategies whether they were deemed "worthy" of a prize or not. For them it's a much cheaper form of advertising.
I remember one such instance where I submitted five framed photographs in an exhibition sponsored by a certain beverage company. None of my entries obtained even so much as a mention but when I went to collect them there were stars next to all five and the person "responsible" said I couldn't have them because they were marked for future use in their publicity campaign. Needless to say I was packing them away in the boot of my car while this person rambled on about said company's rights etc. I simply retorted with "if they're so good, where's my money then? - here's my card; if your company wants my work they can contact me to arrange payment." I'm still waiting. Sadly others would have fallen for it and subsequently given away their work.

slau

If you want a 'fair' agreement/contract, you need to have your own legal advises to protect your interest. When the Panasonic lawyer puts all the legal terms in the contract/agreement, of course the whole agreement is so one sided that it is strictly for the benefit/convenience of the 'promoter' - Panasonic. It is just the Panasonic lawyer doing his/her job.

Like most of us in this forum, who does not make a living from selling images or is a working pro shooter, personally I don't think the risk of entering the Panasonic contest is such a big deal. But, I cannot see any images that show recognized faces can go to a public contest without the proper model release. We have way too many lawyers in North America.

V

Vivek

Stephen Lau,

I do not think you understand the situation clearly. No real gallery asks for a model release of a street photograph.

By adding the clauses presumably drafted by the legal team hired by Panasonic, it is clear they also do not have a clue what it is about.

I don't blame the lawyers but the company that wastes the resources on nothing and tries to make a profit on the gear they are producing.

So, who is paying for it? Ultimately the ones who buy anything with LUMIX plastered on it.:thumbdown:

BTW, I have friends who can offer me legal advice on local laws or international law, in particular, on copyright.

Last edited: