The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Exhibit your photos with Lumix Life

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Stephen,
I agree with Vivek entirely. Panny will have the right to use your image as they see fit. This is why they need a release....

I also have Copyright attorneys that actually collect my work...and I get much advice from them.
I do make part of my living from images, years ago..all of my money came from it but...
I am not interested in giving up rights to my work. Besides, street work does not need a release if the image is not used for making money...
what does that tell you about what may be going on.....?

slau

I want to leave it this way: law is very similar to photography - highly subjective, subject to interpretation and there is no absolute right or wrong.

I am just happy to be a photographer.

Brian Mosley

This has been a very interesting and valuable thread - I note that dpreview deleted the contest from their forums... thanks Guy, for maintaining a personal feeling to this forum :)

Cheers

Brian

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks Brian and i was going to delete it and actually ban the OP to be real honest. Jack suggested not to ban him and I wanted to leave this up because it is something important that members need to understand. I know some people don't care and will send them in and that is okay but I feel i should say something since I been in the business so long and seen many of these. The issue is one may not care until they see there image on the side of a bus and trust me when they put there hand in there pants and no money comes out of that pocket than they will care A LOT. LOL

V

Vivek

What this has done to me, personally, is to take away any residual enthusiasm for a certain brand that I spent a good bit of effort to smear and make it invisible.

This isn't a beverage company. It is supposed to be tool maker for photographers.

Oh, the amount of restrain I am exercising in expressing my feelings..:angry:

m3photo

Re: Is there anybody out there?

Hmm, over to you Mr. Panasonic Australia. Two posts spaced by a week. Today's the day for the third. Care to comment?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
What this has done to me, personally, is to take away any residual enthusiasm for a certain brand that I spent a good bit of effort to smear and make it invisible.

This isn't a beverage company. It is supposed to be tool maker for photographers.

Yes and no Vivek. We have to remember this is being catered to the true soccer mom type shooter ( sorry for the stereotype) and folks here are much more serious in there work with photography . Seriously I have yet to see a member a real green rookie on this forum. Anyway that is there target and this actually maybe regional and not international like a Canon, Nikon contest. I would not be too hard on them but I also want our members to know the real facts behind these kinds of contests, and enter if they wish but when that bus goes by with their image on it , well I told you so. LOL

Seriously though Pana is a good company and don't let this ruin your faith in them. It's just there target market and this forum is NOT it

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member

That's exactly the problem with the big picture, no pun intended....or maybe it is.
These are people in the photography business that do not understand photographers or images/usage. That makes me crazy and kinda angry.

They really should pay more attention to their intent...as we are forced to do with ours...
Don

V

Vivek

Cheers, Guy!

These nit-wit$ should have asked for your take before spamming.:)

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Well, it's actually good that Guy & Jack left the thread on the forum. There are many that will benefit from the conversation.

Good Moderating guy's....

C

CharlieH

Panasonic's desire to use the photos for commercial purposes is the reason they need the assurance that the photographer has a model release. They want to use photos taken for editorial purposes and use them for commercial purposes. And they are trying to put the burden on the photographer. Notice that they aren't asking for actual releases from subjects, just your assurance that you have a release while you give up your control.

But the liability is real no matter what your original intent in taking the photo nor your final use and exhibition of it. When in doubt get a release. The person in the photo has rights to privacy, may have rights to publicity and has rights against defamation. Then there are more undefined rights of property owners against association and conversion. Even if he tells you it's okay at the time, he also has the right to change his mind and if you don't have it in writing you don't have anything.

ASMP has some good pages on this. They tell the story below:

The passage of time doesn’t necessarily reduce your risk. In the Nov. 22, 1999, edition of the New York Observer, an article relates that Peter Beard was threatened with a lawsuit for a photo he’d taken a dozen years earlier. In 1987, Beard had photographed a 17-year-old girl near Lake Rudolph in Kenya. But by 1997, that girl had moved to Los Angeles, where she was waiting tables and looking for work as a model. A New York friend called to tell her that a SoHo gallery was selling her picture for thousands of dollars. She reacted by hiring a lawyer and demanding $50,000 plus 15 percent of Beard’s sales. (It appears that the matter was settled out of court, so we don’t know what really happened.)
http://www.asmp.org/tutorials/property-and-model-releases.html

ch

V

Vivek

..use them for commercial purposes. And they are trying to put the burden on the photographer.
Exactly!

Two thumbs down to Panasonic.

A street photog friend just sent me a message on this brand. I would like to hear what he says after reading this fiasco.

P

PanasonicAustralia

Hi Guy and other forum members,

I wanted to quickly clear up some of the confusion around the terms and conditions. I hope this helps.

With regard to the subject release/approval, it's important to note that there are a number of cultural sensitivities in Australia when taking photographs of some subjects. These include some members of the country's indigenous community, children and even taking photographs of people on some of Australia's beaches. While it may not be technically illegal, it is nonetheless frowned upon by many in the community here. This can even include national icons, such as Uluru, although I am not sure it extends to ducks.

I also wanted to stress that the only way in which images submitted will be used is in the promotion of the exhibition, such as sending links to the site to interested journalists or putting the galleries up on our website to promote the initiative. Panasonic Australia respects the intellectual property rights of photographers and would not dream of using any images beyond this purpose without proper consent and compensation, as negotiated by the photographer or their agent.

Finally, with regard to the collection of information for distribution to third parties. This explicitly refers to providing information and possibly contact information to program organisers, gallery staff and - when OK - media who might wish to write a story about a photographer's submission.

I'm sorry that the terms and conditions have inadvertently caused so much concern. The spirit of this initiative is very much in good faith, giving undiscovered photographers a chance to have their work shown in a Sydney gallery. Those of us who have been fortunate enough to have their own show will know what a thrill this can be.

I know that there may be dubious and exploitative 'competitions' on the web and that you need to be careful, but this is not one of them. Quite frankly we have too much respect for our customers, our brand and the photographic community to undertake anything that was not fit and proper.

I hope this explanation is useful, and I'd be happy to answer any additional questions in relation to this exhibition that you may have.

Kind regards,

Panasonic Australia

V

Vivek

I am happy to hear back from you, Panasonic. :)

With regard to the subject release/approval, it's important to note that there are a number of cultural sensitivities in Australia when taking photographs of some subjects. These include some members of the country's indigenous community, children and even taking photographs of people on some of Australia's beaches. While it may not be technically illegal, it is nonetheless frowned upon by many in the community here. This can even include national icons, such as Uluru, although I am not sure it extends to ducks.
Aside from the humor :)) ), yes, some of us may be even aware of the sensitivities mentioned by you, and they are serious, indeed.

Dutch law (for example) permits photographs of people (and use for non advertisements, commercials) in public areas provided that no photograph depicts them in a bad light. Since it is quite broad, the boundaries can only be realized when one understands it in its spirit. As is, people around my city might have seen me carrying a camera and making photos, sometimes even the subjects themselves invite me to take a photo.

For example, this young man.

(taken with a another brand camera, IR capture)

While posing for a photo or allowing a photo to be taken is one thing, I am not sure if most folks would like to see any of their photos anywhere with "LUMIX" or any other brand name raining down on that image while showing.

So, that part isn't clear to me at all.

Once again, Guy and Jack- thanks for keeping this thread! :)

V

Vivek

I have decided not to enter this.

1. As I said earlier, if I agree to all of the conditions enlisted there, I will not be honest.

2. I value my interest in photography (and how it gets expressed) way above any brand name or the tools I use. It may be G1 today and NX tomorrow. A few Euros will buy them. Simple and easy. As long as the features suit my purpose, I will decide to use my cash on any of them and as I see fit.

I appreciate Panasonic's invitation and thank them for it. Clearly, out of mutual respect, I do not want any part of this.

If any of my photos have any merit, they will stand on their own and will display no brand names.

Vivek.

Well, I entered all landscape images, and they're on exhibit in Sydney right now.

Sorry it excluded so many good photographers. But, I am a strong proponent of Panasonic, and enjoy their products.

Reed