The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Camera Raw 5.5 Updated...

V

vlatko

I could hardly wait... Olympus Studio irritated the hell out of me.

And now I miss Auto Gradation and the automatic distortion correction from Studio. Also the changeable crop. Why ACR respects the crop info from E-P1 but not anything else?

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Remember this is just an RC version.
If you want something, post at the Adobe forum.
With enuff request, they usually comply.

V

vlatko

Hmpf. Actually, I'm used to ACR not having the gradation and distortion correction. But that crop pushed me over the edge. Why would they respect only that?

Besides, with an RC, I don't think it would be realistic to expect ACR to create changeable crop masks.

scho

If you use Adobe's profile editor and Colorchecker DNG files for making camera profiles, note that you have to adjust the prefs in DNG Converter 5.5 RC before converting E-P1 raw files to DNG otherwise they will not be recognized by the profile editor. See Eric Chan's instructions for doing this in the following thread where I asked about this problem:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/461281?tstart=30

photoSmart42

I only wish there was a way to get the CS3 version of Photoshop to open my G-1 RAW files... Not sure I feel like buying CS4 or LR2 right now to make that happen.

photoSmart42

CS3 opens DNG files. Just convert them to DNG.
Seems logical to my ill-logical mind....
Cool, I didn't know that. I just downloaded the DNG app from Adobe and started converting some of my G1 RW2 files as a test. I'm saving them in a DNG format that's accessible by CS3, so hope that works.

Thanks!!

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
I think it's one of the reasons Adobe doesn't support past versions of PS. Because you can use DNG anyway.
The updated versions of the DNG converter always do what ever is before them...that's what makes it work..and kinda makes you use the DNG format.
I believe in it anyway...from the very beginning....
don

Godfrey

I think it's one of the reasons Adobe doesn't support past versions of PS. Because you can use DNG anyway.
The updated versions of the DNG converter always do what ever is before them...that's what makes it work..and kinda makes you use the DNG format.
I believe in it anyway...from the very beginning....
don
Major versions of Camera Raw are dependent on the Photoshop CSx version they are paired with for their advanced functions. Camera Raw running in Photoshop Elements only offers the BASIC features. This is why new versions of Camera Raw are only usable by the current version of PS but can often be used with older versions of PSE.

The fact that DNG is a standard format makes an end run around the native RAW support requirement ... all the appropriate information is embedded in the DNG file so older versions of Camera Raw capable of processing DNG can process any file which has been transformed to this format.

nboyer

Re: Camera Raw 5.5 Updated...E-P1 Supported! - Maybe Not...

Thanks shooter. I downloaded the DNG converter and converted a few E-P1 files. What I'm seeing is some odd maze patterns, which I'm not seeing in CaptureOne 4 or Olympus Studio. While I realise that this is a beta version, I hope that Adobe will sort it out. Cheers. -Norm

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Norm,
Did you import to LR and get the preview?
I have not seen anything strange..
but now ya got me worried....

I'm worried Norm.....
Shooter

nboyer

Shooter - I downloaded the DNG converter and converted the ORF file to DNG. I then imported into LRv2. I've used LR almost exclusively after trying out several other RAW converters over the years, but had to go back to CaptureOne 4 for E-P1 files. Let's hope that the final implementation for LR will have this sorted out. Cheers. -Norm

Norm,
Did you import to LR and get the preview?
I have not seen anything strange..
but now ya got me worried....

I'm worried Norm.....
Shooter

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
It may just be a corrupted file.
Maybe try to convert the raw again and see what happens.
My workflow is similar to yours....
Working ok for me.....

Hope it straightens out for you....

nboyer

I don't think it's a corrupt file. This has occurred with several different files, taken on different days. This does not happen when converted with Olympus Studio or CaptureOne 4. This odd maze is present only in the corners of my Zeiss 21/4.5 and Zeiss 25/2.8. It seems to occur when there is corner softness from these lenses. I've not noticed this in any other of my lenses, well so far. Odd indeed, but the real question is why is this occurring only when converting with the DNG converter? Hmmm..., baffling and unfortunate as LR has been my primary RAW converter. -Norm

It may just be a corrupted file.
Maybe try to convert the raw again and see what happens.
My workflow is similar to yours....
Working ok for me.....

Hope it straightens out for you....