The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which adapter to get for G1?

photoSmart42

I've been spending quite a bit of time trying to figure out which adapter to get for my G1 so I can use SLR lenses, so I figured I'd throw it out there for some feedback. I have no existing lenses aside from the kit lens that came with my G1, so I'd be starting from scratch. Here's what I'm looking for in general:

1. A reasonably wide assortment of lenses
2. Reasonably priced lenses (not generally more than $500 each)
3. Good quality lenses
4. A reasonable assortment of accessories (extension tubes, bellows, etc.)

Personally I'm leaning toward Canon FD/FL lenses, but I'm not sure, for example, what kind of lenses in the FD/FL mount there might be for macro work, which is something I want to get into more. I've read about Sigma lenses for macro work, but I'm not sure which adapter they'd require, and what other sort of lenses there are for use on the G1.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Cheers!

pellicle

Hi

I dabbled in OM and FD but seem to have decided on staying with FD for cost / availablity of used gear. Seems to me there was more FD stuff sold than OM stuff.

I like the OM lenses as I can still use them on my EOS camera (which I use for black and white 35mm). Some of the OM stuff price is a bit influenced by collectors ...

Equally I'm sure there is any number of nice well priced in m42 pentax (takumar's and the like)

pick one and go with it :)

kevinparis

For my e-p1 i bought a simple 4/3 to micro 4/3 adapter from cam_century on ebay as I have 4/3 adapters for Nikon, OM, Pentax K M42, Contax and Leica R

The only downside of this adapter is that it doesn't have the electrical contacts so my Olympus lenses will not focus at all.

$500 should buy you several lenses. I have the following all bought this year and have never paid more than $250 and often less than $100

OM 28/2.8, 35/2.8, 50/1.4, 50/1.8
Nikkor 24/2, 28/2.8, 28/3.5, 35/2.8, 50/1.4, 105/2.5
Pentax M42 35/2, 50/1.4
Pentax K 28/2.8
Contax 50/1.7
Leica R 50/2

cheers

K

m3photo

1. A reasonably wide assortment of lenses
2. Reasonably priced lenses (not generally more than $500 each)
3. Good quality lenses
4. A reasonable assortment of accessories (extension tubes, bellows, etc.)

Personally I'm leaning toward Canon FD/FL lenses, but I'm not sure, for example, what kind of lenses in the FD/FL mount there might be for macro work, which is something I want to get into more. I've read about Sigma lenses for macro work, but I'm not sure which adapter they'd require, and what other sort of lenses there are for use on the G1.
Canon FD/FL is fine. For another wide assortment personally I recommend Nikon because that's what I use on the G1. I got a rough looking copy of a 55 Micro-Nikkor which has perfect optics for just $34 on E-Bay - this was a very lucky find but from here on up to $500, I don't think you'll have much trouble :D. Back to E-bay for the extension tubes etc.
I suggest you start here:
http://cgi.ebay.es/4-3-to-Panasonic...ries?hash=item19b2f9314f&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14
and to complete the adapter route for the Nikkors or (Canons) for $10 you add:
http://cgi.ebay.es/nikon-lens-adapt...ries?hash=item19afeb5fd3&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14
I would also try:
http://cgi.ebay.es/16mm-Bolex-C-len...ries?hash=item2ea3a1c3e6&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14
if you want to see what all the fuss is about with C-Mount lenses on the G1.

The Sigmas would naturally fit the corresponding lens mount (i.e. a Nikon fit Sigma on a Nikon adapter etc.) If you've heard good things about the Sigma 90 take a quick look here:
http://wendigo.altervista.org/sigma_90_macro.htm
It has always been a well-considered favourite. Do realize however, that with the G1 the focal length equivalent will always be double - in the Sigma's case it would be a 180mm lens

I have personally bought all of the above but have no other connection with the seller other than to say he is well recommended by others on this forum also.

Good hunting,
m.

pellicle

Hi

I have personally bought all of the above but have no other connection with the seller other than to say he is well recommended by others on this forum also.
I also have no affiliation and just bought from him again. I've compared his FD adaptor to another maker here. I'll be adding another comparison on his OM adaptor soon. After being obliquely accused by him of "not having his knowledge of writing that blog entry" when he specifically loaned me one for expressly that purpose I decided to only review what I own. That way if the maker doesn't like what I write then "tough tittys".

photoSmart42

Thanks, all! I think I'll start with the FD adapter and go from there. I can't imagine I can go wrong with taking that route. There are about 1000 lenses on eBay for the FD mount, many of them at bargain prices, so it's a perfect way to experiment with lots of different types of lenses to see how they each perform, and to learn in which environments to use them. After that, if I need some other, more specialized lenses for specific tasks, I'll get those adapters and go from there.

Diane B

ps42, I went the FD route because I had kept one from film days LOL--and there were so many at great great prices. Here's a good site to get some specs on the various FDs
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/index.htm

I've been very happy shooting with the FDs (I also have a Konica Hexanon 40 f/1.8) and haven't regretted one minute going that route. I never have gotten the ones I wanted on ebay but have bought from Keh--usually bargain since their bargain lenses are always (at least in my experience) very very nice.

Diane

photoSmart42

ps42, I went the FD route because I had kept one from film days LOL--and there were so many at great great prices. Here's a good site to get some specs on the various FDs
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/index.htm

I've been very happy shooting with the FDs (I also have a Konica Hexanon 40 f/1.8) and haven't regretted one minute going that route. I never have gotten the ones I wanted on ebay but have bought from Keh--usually bargain since their bargain lenses are always (at least in my experience) very very nice.

Diane
Thanks, Diane! I had seen that website a while ago, and I have the FD and FL lend pages bookmarked =).

There's a small photo shop just up the street from where I live that sells a whole bunch of SLR lenses, cameras, etc. It's quaint, dark, and only open on weekends, but their selection is incredible. I went there a few months ago to check them out, and they carry a fair amount of FD/FL lenses. I'll use them for starters since their prices are reasonable, but I also can't pass up $10 lenses on eBay =).

As an aside, does anyone know is the Canon 50/0.95 comes with an FL mount? The mir.com website lists it as such, but I see conflicting information on it when I find it in other places.

Diane B

snip

There's a small photo shop just up the street from where I live that sells a whole bunch of SLR lenses, cameras, etc. It's quaint, dark, and only open on weekends, but their selection is incredible. I went there a few months ago to check them out, and they carry a fair amount of FD/FL lenses. I'll use them for starters since their prices are reasonable, but I also can't pass up $10 lenses on eBay =).

snip
I need to check Ebay more LOL--and the little shop near you sounds wonderful. Wish we had something similar--sadly no.

Diane