The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Why are so many people selling E-P1?

sagar

Just wondering, why so many people are selling E-P1 within a week to months time? Seen so many off them on Fred, here and other forums

What's going on with this little cam :confused:

V

Vivek

Why sell M8? Why sell D3, D700, Sony A900..?

Questions that can not be answered properly.

AFAIK, there is nothing wrong with the E-P1 (ie. manufacturer issues, like that infamous BGLOD of Nikon D70 or the current recall of Nikon D5000).

It functions reliably as it was specified to.

sagar

Vivek I know what you mean. but I have never seen such sell activity for any other camera at least not from Canikon stable.

Please note these are getting sold within 1-4 week of possessions. If you see any forum you may get one or two listed

Warm Regards
Sagar

Why sell M8? Why sell D3, D700, Sony A900..?

Questions that can not be answered properly.

AFAIK, there is nothing wrong with the E-P1 (ie. manufacturer issues, like that infamous BGLOD of Nikon D70 or the current recall of Nikon D5000).

It functions reliably as it was specified to.

nostatic

It is a bit of a "niche" camera that you really have to live with for awhile to see if you shoot that way. Not quite p&s (bigger), not quite dSLR (no OVF). For some it is a great answer.

Also, people here tend to turn over gear *really* fast as far as I can tell. We have a lot of "early adopters" who then want to try the next thing. Look at is as a service - someone else takes a depreciation hit, and usually the owners here are incredibly careful with their gear - the ideal person to buy from.

R

Ranger 9

This is a somewhat different type of camera from what many people are used to -- less of a known quantity than just buying a new DSLR model to replace your old one. I suspect that a lot of early adopters felt that the only way to see whether it fits their style of photography was to buy one and use it a bit. The ones you see for sale probably represent cases in which "the relationship just didn't work out."

(I remember that almost exactly the same thing happened with the Contax G1 film camera, which likewise wasn't exactly like anything people had used before. Some people bought one and loved it; others bought one, found it didn't match up with their wants and expectations, and put it up for sale after trying it out for a week or two.)

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
This is no different from any other camera release as far as I can see. There are always a group of early-adopters who are curious and want to try the latest new thing, then "turn it" for another latest new thing.

I do the same thing with new lenses as they come out.

R

Ranger 9

Also, people here tend to turn over gear *really* fast as far as I can tell. We have a lot of "early adopters" who then want to try the next thing. Look at is as a service - someone else takes a depreciation hit, and usually the owners here are incredibly careful with their gear - the ideal person to buy from.
Another thing people here tend to do is "pre-invest" in cameras that don't necessarily exist yet.

(For example, over on another forum you can find that people not only have projected the complete specs, availability date, and retail price for a putative "Leica M9" camera, but now have moved on to anticipating new lenses that will be introduced for it.)

So people who are putting their E-P 1s up for sale may be clearing the decks for a forthcoming rumorcam such as the Panasonic GF-1, or the Olympus E-P 2, or the RED Micro-1. Oops, I wasn't supposed to mention the Micro-1 -- forget I said that...

barjohn

I think part of it is the lack of patience early adopters like me have with manufacturers. We have all specified the short-comings of the camera in hopes that Oly would fix those in a new firmware update. Oly seems to be very slow to get any fixes out the door. Panasonic was much more responsive in the early days but has also slowed a bit since then. In particular, there are some really clunky aspects to the menu that could easily be fixed such as having to use the info button to put the camera in a mode to MF non AF lenses. The MF magnification occupying the entire screen rather than a rectangle within so you still see what you are framing and the lack of a simple button press for magnified MF. There have been numerous lists posted on possible menu improvements with no response from Oly. After a bit we start to assume that they won't be fixed and we move on looking for a camera that has listened to photographers and made those controls that are frequently needed very easy, quick and accessible to the photographer.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I think the E-P1 has created a very solid niche. But if you don't fit that niche then the E-P1 has to go.
I have the E-P1 and the G1 and they are quite different. If I had to pick one to go on a cruise, I would take the G1. If I had to pick one to shoot in downtown Toronto I would take the E-P1
The people who are getting the most out of the E-P1 are street shooters (see streetshooter and m3photo on this forum). It's interesting that there seem to be just as many posts on the E-P1 on the small sensor forum as this one, but the E-P1 doesn't technically have a small sensor.
If I wanted quality street shots (as in Leica shooting) I would pick the E-P1 anyday over a small sensor camera (I have a lot of those). The E-P1 is smaller than an M8, takes a million lenses, has a bigger sensor, has IS, and it has a much more accurate and faster way of focusing than the rangefinder when using its own lenses, and is still pretty competitive in manual mode.

The only thing that the GF-1 will bring to the table is the EVF, and that changes things in a whole lot of ways - you can use zooms, and you can see what is going on in the camera. With the E-P1, using the LCD, I cannot frame pictures properly in bright sunlight, its impossible. I could do it with the EVF.

Keith

Terry

Keith-
I agree with everything you have to say except for sensor size. The M8 has a 1.3x crop sensor and m4/3 is a 2x crop. So a 20mm lens is essentialy a 40mm field of view on the Pen but approx 26mm on an M8.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Keith,
Thanks for the prop. It's true, the camera is an ideal street camera.
It also works on any other genre that it is applied.
There exist no perfect camera. It's all a compromise and a state of mind. I thought that I made a mistake selling my DP1 but now realize, it was no mistake at all.

I think people have dreams that are never met with a purchase.
I remember my M8's....I forgot my M8's also.
The panny soon to be realeased will take a bigger hit than the Oly.
That camera is up against more than the Oly on release.

Like stated, the Oly is a niche camera. For those in that niche, like myself....
It's a dream come true. For others, it's a stepping stone to the next dream.
Even if the EP2 comes out, I'll keep this camera....

We doin need no EVF crap around here.....

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Keith-
I agree with everything you have to say except for sensor size. The M8 has a 1.3x crop sensor and m4/3 is a 2x crop. So a 20mm lens is essentialy a 40mm field of view on the Pen but approx 26mm on an M8.
Thanks Terry, sometimes I don't bother to do my research - and that's no good :cry:
There are times when I've been on the hairy edge of buying an M8, but didn't. Not a question of affording it, but explaining to the wife a camera that's priced like jewelery.
But it's interesting the way sensor development is going, for instance the Canon G11 and S90. I have a suspicion that I may have an S90 soon.

Keith

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
There is a sea-change happening with digital photography right now. That's good for all of us. I think that m4/3 really is driving that. The ability to try any lens is so, so important. Fortunately, I got in at the right time.

Give EVFs a chance. We don't need mirrors and smoke!

Keith

O

OzRay

I would never use any forum as bellwether for judging trends.

Cheers

Ray

Brian Mosley

No Oz, but it's a good place to start one! :ROTFL:

The E-P1 has had a lot of attention over the last couple of months... the early adopters have had their 5 minutes of fame, time to move on to their next squeeze :rolleyes:

Kind Regards

Brian (still loving his Panasonic LX1 and Olympus E-400 ;)