Site Sponsors

Thread: Retro

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Retro

I miss my old Rolleiflex so today I tried some shooting with the E-P1 "TLR Style". Doable, but a strain on the eyeballs. Sure would have been nice if Olympus had given us a tilting LCD. I used a CV 50mm f/1.5 Nokton and shot raw in 6:6 format. Converted the files with Adobe dng converter 5.5 RC and processed in LR2.4. Interesting that the dng files were automatically cropped to 1:1 when converted from the raw files.

Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Retro

Aren't the Noktons great glass?
    I miss my Rollie also. I did a large series with
    the Planar and made 12 x 12 prints as diamonds.
    Great for portraits....
    Shooter

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carl, I have no idee why you would bother (ie trying to use it like TLR) with that cam when you have the G1.

I have only used Topcoflex and the Primo Jr- both addictive (I should dust them up soon). I am not particular about the square thing but the actual usage.

Here is a nostalgic capture (bad light and all but hey that is the way the coin goes). The swivel TFT makes the G1 to be used like a TLR and that tiny boy brought back memories of my son (he is now 9).

Panasonic G1, Olympus D 17/2.8 plus a Ricoh GW-1 (0.75X converter).

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Carl, I have no idee why you would bother (ie trying to use it like TLR) with that cam when you have the G1.

I have only used Topcoflex and the Primo Jr- both addictive (I should dust them up soon). I am not particular about the square thing but the actual usage.

Here is a nostalgic capture (bad light and all but hey that is the way the coin goes). The swivel TFT makes the G1 to be used like a TLR and that tiny boy brought back memories of my son (he is now 9).

Panasonic G1, Olympus D 17/2.8 plus a Ricoh GW-1 (0.75X converter).
    You should be proud of this one

Keith

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    Aren't the Noktons great glass?
    I miss my Rollie also. I did a large series with
    the Planar and made 12 x 12 prints as diamonds.
    Great for portraits....
    Shooter
    Yes, Streetshooter the Noktons are very nice and I really like the 50 1.5.

Regards,
    Carl

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Vivek, I agree that TLR style shooting is much easier with the G1, but I just wanted to see if it was even possible with the E-P1. My wife likes P&S style shooting with the E-P1 so it is now her camera and I'll go back to shooting mostly with the G1 until something better comes along. That is a very nice shot of your son. I also have many nice pictures that I took of of my children years ago with the Rollei, but I have yet to scan all of the negatives.

Regards,
    Carl

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodmancy View Post
    You should be proud of this one

Keith

Yeah, I am, Keith. But I should have worded this carefully (I was asking "Hot" to write clearly in another thread. ). This isn't my son. It is a recent shot with G1. This boy (his father has caught a pigeon to show him) just barely can walk (mine was running around chasing them) and reminded me of the those days. One such shot, I made using a Welta folder (yes, I am totally retro. The Welta is much older than I am) about 7 years ago on Kodak film.
    Last edited by Vivek; 26th August 2009 at 03:07.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carl, As I said above, that was a recent shot taken with a G1.

Yes, I have a few shots with the Topcoflex as well (colors are brilliant through that cam). Rollei, I have never owned one for some reason or other.

Incidentally, I have the wide and tele converters for the Primo Jr ("super 35" format) as well.

Sorry about the confusion.

I like your result. Why I added a shot that I thought will fit in yours (or rather the nostalgia).
    Last edited by Vivek; 26th August 2009 at 03:08.

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah, I am, Keith. But I should have worded this carefully (I was asking "Hot" to write clearly in another thread. ). This isn't my son. It is a recent shot with G1. This boy (his father has caught a pigeon to show him) just barely can walk (mine was running around chasing them) and reminded me of the those days. One such shot, I made using a Welta folder (yes, I am totally retro. The Welta is much older than I am) about 7 years ago on Kodak film.
    My problem with the communication - you must be proud of this image

Keith

Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Yes, Streetshooter the Noktons are very nice and I really like the 50 1.5.

Regards,
    Carl
    Carl, have you compared it to the 40mm Nokton...I have that one but never tried the 50mm...just wondering...
    Don

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    Carl, have you compared it to the 40mm Nokton...I have that one but never tried the 50mm...just wondering...
    Don
    Don,

I also have the 40mm Nokton which is much smaller and lighter, but I prefer the smoother bokeh of the 50mm Nokton. The 50 is also sharper wide open.

Carl