The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 and Oly 70-300 got to the zoo

LisaR

I went out to the zoo for about an hour or so today to test out the Oly 70-300, I think the lens will work well, the extra length is very nice on the G1.

a few non animal shots

photoSmart42

Beautiful shots! How come you went with the Oly 70-300 instead of the Pana 45-200 (or do you have both)? They're about the same price, same aperture range, and the Oly requires the adapter. Just curious because I'm trying to figure out which zoom lens to get myself.

LisaR

Thanks!

I do have the 45-200, I picked up the Oly because I wanted a bit more reach for certain situations.

photoSmart42

Thanks!

I do have the 45-200, I picked up the Oly because I wanted a bit more reach for certain situations.
So do you have a preference between the two lenses? Is the Oly just a special use lens then? I'm assuming it's bulkier than the Pana 45-200. Do you use the AF on the Oly lens, or do you shoot in MF mode?

LisaR

So do you have a preference between the two lenses? Is the Oly just a special use lens then? I'm assuming it's bulkier than the Pana 45-200. Do you use the AF on the Oly lens, or do you shoot in MF mode?
Well the 70-300 is alot heavier and does not have OS, but if I go to the zoo or out to shoot local wildlife like birds and such then I will take it with me. For general walking around the 45-200 will come with me since it is much lighter, smaller and has stabilization.

Though after carrying the D700 and assorted lenses around the G1 and 70-300 is a breeze :)

I updated the lens firmware on the camera so the 70-300 autofocuses in AFS mode.

JBurnett

Very well done! Hand-held? If so, then you've done a great job with such a long focal length lens.

Michiel Schierbeek

Beautifull pictures and a great zoo! Have been thinking about this lens.
Bought the 45-200 first.
But the firmware is already in the camera. :)
Thanks for posting, Michiel

S

Sasott

G1 and Oly 70 300 got to the zoo

those shots make me excited for tomorrow I really like the Elephant ones

My fiance and I are going to DC to go to the Smithsonian Natural History Museum and the zoo

slosync

Lisa,

Very nice pictures. As mentioned above, you did well hand holding the camera and lens!!

I have the 70-300 coming this week, but I'm afraid I will be needing my monopod to get shots like that.

Thanks for sharing.
Don

LisaR

:)
Lisa,

Very nice pictures. As mentioned above, you did well hand holding the camera and lens!!

I have the 70-300 coming this week, but I'm afraid I will be needing my monopod to get shots like that.

Thanks for sharing.
Don

thanks!

It really is not hard to handhold during daylight and get sharp pics I think you might be surprised. I am just used to heavy set ups as I had a D700 and some heavy lenses so I got a bit used to it so this set up is a breeze